Purchased a splitter, but....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WS6Man

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg I have a home built splitter I purchased that has a 11 hp brigs with a 22 gpm Barnes pump #1057 model # 1080035. The cylinder is a miller model 72 with a 5" bore and 2.5" rod with a 24" stroke. The pump is also rated at 3600 rpm.

My problem is the cylinder will stall out on tough logs and the motor never loads when this happens. It seems to not be kicking down into low flow high pressure. Based on this info, what ton would this splitter be rated and what can I do to resolve the issue. I will post pics soon.

Here's a calculator that will tell you what you are wanting to know:

http://www.baumhydraulics.com/calculators/cyl_calc.htm

You need to know what your pressure is. To get more pressure, there's an adjustment on your valve that can be made. Word of caution, if you turn the pressure up, make sure your design can handle it. I'm not responsible if you break something. It all depends on the design of your system, the wedge and such. I had one that only ran 2100-2200 and it wasn't enough, with a wedge that was 1.25" think and blunt. I seen another that was 1" think wedge, very sharp, had the pressure around 2700, but never see it go past 1000 psi, due to the wedge design.

Best bet, get a gauge install, stall the cylinder out and see what your pressure reads. Plug that into the calculator in the link above, that will tell you your tonnage.

has
View attachment 376123 View attachment 376124 View attachment 376125 View attachment 376126 View attachment 376128 I have a home built splitter I purchased that has a 11 hp brigs with a 22 gpm Barnes pump #1057 model # 1080035. The cylinder is a miller model 72 with a 5" bore and 2.5" rod with a 24" stroke. The pump is also rated at 3600 rpm.

My problem is the cylinder will stall out on tough logs and the motor never loads when this happens. It seems to not be kicking down into low flow high pressure. Based on this info, what ton would this splitter be rated and what can I do to resolve the issue. I will post pics soon.
after you

that third pic show two needle valves maybe try adjusting them. after you install psi gauge

I attached a Pic or the gauge I installed today. This was taken after 20 min of run time and at the moment the ram stalled in the wood. I adjusted the two needle valves completely open which gave me the most force and pressure on the gauge. After 3o min, the max pressure I saw was 600 psi and it would only split hickory logs under 14". I just changed the oil to cam2 303 oil I purchased from the rural king. The tank holds about 1o gallons.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 88
it's a two stage pump and the minimum horse power required is 10 HP, so an 11 hp engine is technically low for that pump.

1st Stage: 22 GPM @ 650 PSI

2nd Stage: 6.5 GPM @ 2500 PSI

i have a similar size pump and the lowest hp i have ever used was 12.5, currently using a 15.5 hp engine and never had any problems.

i use vertical shaft engines because they're more readily available. right now i'm putting a new cam in a 19.5hp briggs which i want to put on the splitter.

it's a two stage pump and the minimum horse power required is 10 HP, so an 11 hp engine is technically low for that pump.

I have honda 270gx rated at 9 horse and it turns my two stage pump with no problems.

The valves mounted right off the cylinder ports are flow control valves that are ment to tune flow without effecting system pressure too much , you usually see these in circuits where there's lots of GPM and components are moving too fast. I'd be interested why somebody thought they where necessary...they are heat makers for sure.

Like most have said. Remove the needle valves on the main cylinder... That's crazy on a 5" cylinder. You need them on log lift cylinders so you don't launch your wood into the neighbors yard! Looks like a nice splitter though! Hopefully you get the kinks worked out.

For a quick test you could close the flow control valve on the back of the cylinder and try it. If it builds pressure then I would say your cylinder seals are shot. If it still doesn't make pressure then the problem is with your pump or valve. Maybe the pressure relief in the valve is set very low as others have suggested.

Jerry

Back