Shop Safety, please watch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Outstanding vise my man.

I found myself voluntold to be the safety officer at my work a number of years back and take the job seriously (even though I did not want it but I'm a good soldier and all) and get myself educated. A big part of that job is to enforce safety standards but also with the idea that a job has to get done and people need to live their lives.

Our lives are spent marginalizing and minimizing risks while still trying to live a fulfilling life. For some, increased risk means more fulfilling.

Great video and excellent introduction to personal safety in the home garage.

Are you a member of Garage Journal? I think they may like to see the video too.....and your vise.

Outstanding vise my man.

I found myself voluntold to be the safety officer at my work a number of years back and take the job seriously (even though I did not want it but I'm a good soldier and all) and get myself educated. A big part of that job is to enforce safety standards but also with the idea that a job has to get done and people need to live their lives.

Our lives are spent marginalizing and minimizing risks while still trying to live a fulfilling life. For some, increased risk means more fulfilling.

Great video and excellent introduction to personal safety in the home garage.

Are you a member of Garage Journal? I think they may like to see the video too.....and your vise.
Thanks for the compliments! I love my big Columbian vise. I need to remove and replace the jaws some day...

I'm not on Garage Journal anymore. Used to be but the place could get really negative and critical so I moved on. You can feel free to share the video there if you like.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I was in the USAF for 12 years. Worked in a Maintenance career field (2W071... worked with bombs, bullets, missles, etc... basically if it went boom or pow and not a nuke we dealt with it)
Some of the "safety" crap they mandated was beyond stupid, but some of the more "common sense" stuff rubbed on me a bit. I'm usually pretty good about wearing ear and eye pro when it's really needed.

Examples of ridiculous safety stuff. We got written up once for someone leaving a bench vise open. And by open, it was maybe 2 cranks from being closed, not like the thing was wide open with the jaw about to fall off. I questioned the reasoning behind it, couldn't get an answer.

We weren't supposed to plow snow without having at least 2 spotters standing outside. I'm not talking about plowing near a building, gate, etc... weren't even supposed to be withing 25 FEET of anything to begin with. Wide open EMPTY 400ftx400ft pad... supposed to have spotters.

We had a few 40ft trailers that hadn't been moved all winter. The tires had froze to the ground and the semi couldn't get it broke free. I grabbed the 10k A/T Forklift (CAT IT28) and lifted the back of the trailer and pushed it maybe 5ft to get it unstuck.
Now mind you at the time I was an E5 and directly supervised about 7 people. I didn't even had time to get back to the shop and the story with supervision was we were doing some Dukes of Hazard stunt driving.
Thankfully my direct boss wasn't an idiot and he just shrugged it off.

Or the time I dug out an old floor scrubber from a shed and got it working. This was a unit that you walked behind and it would spray, scrub and suck up the water.
I spent several days tearing this thing apart getting it to work. New batteries, etc. I pretty much learned it from top to bottom.

Got it working and then was told I couldn't use it because I wasn't trained on it's operation. :laugh::angry:
Oddly enough a few weeks later some general was coming and we had to clean everything and all of a sudden it was "never mind the training"

A client uses acetone to clean paint rollers that are used to roll out fiberglass in large molds. They knocked over a bucket of about a gallon when they were pulling a finished part from a mold resulting in a static discharge. The acetone ignited and the flash fire propagated to spray equipment that uses organic peroxide and resin. It reacted and was destroyed. So from a gallon of acetone and some static about 15,000 square feet of the facility was scorched and some folks burned.

A client uses acetone to clean paint rollers that are used to roll out fiberglass in large molds. They knocked over a bucket of about a gallon when they were pulling a finished part from a mold resulting in a static discharge. The acetone ignited and the flash fire propagated to spray equipment that uses organic peroxide and resin. It reacted and was destroyed. So from a gallon of acetone and some static about 15,000 square feet of the facility was scorched and some folks burned.
I did excavation work a few years back, demoed a guys burned woodshop. The fire started from rags saturated in polyurethane if I remember correctly. I am guilty of just tossing those rags in trash even though it says on cans that it can spontaneously combust but since then no way will I ever throw those in trash, will toss them in wood stove n let them burn up there

Back