Stihl 023 problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I buy OEM rubber parts from my dealer. Fuel and impulse lines, crank seals... Expensive, but once you have paid...there will not be any doubts.

There are counterfeit Walbro carb kits out there...so, you have to be careful who who buy from.

Walbro kits from HL, Wolf Creek, Sawsagain, Dukes, Bailey's.......all fine.

Ebay sellers.......you have to exercise care.

R.

No. If the kit isn't in a sealed Walbro bag I won't buy it.

The WT-215 is an older generic (i.e. non-Stihl specific) carb that is still available new. OEM kits should be readily available.

Your WT-215 should be readily rebuildable. Just be sure to check the fuel elbow for looseness and/or cracking. The white ones tended to do that. Also make sure that you check/adjust the metering lever height. Adjustment is mandatory if you use the new lever in the kit. The original should probably be set unless someone mucked with it which is why it should always be checked.

While you are at it you should replace the fuel line, fuel filter, and impulse line with OEM parts. Chinese rubber is JUNK!

Attachments

• Walbro - SERVICEMANUAL.pdf
    8.5 MB · Views: 0
So, replaced the coil with an AM coil, same ****, i'm really starting to believe the AM carb is just unadjustable or ontuneable. Sometimes I get it running, somethimes not, sometimes it wil idle, then when I try to tune it it goes burp ... Fathers gonna perform a compression test on the cilinder to look how many pressure it has. The carb that was on it when I got is a WT215 Walbro singapore ...
Again, I am putting my money on the impulse line. Remove it. Pressure test it. If it is not completely pliable/supple, replace it with OEM. If you replace it make sure it has no kinks in it from cylinder to carb. jmho :cool: OT

Again, I am putting my money on the impulse line. Remove it. Pressure test it. If it is not completely pliable/supple, replace it with OEM. If you replace it make sure it has no kinks in it from cylinder to carb. jmho :cool: OT
The impulse line is not connected to the carb in any way ? That thing just sits on the cilinder & the orange cover (inlet)

No. If the kit isn't in a sealed Walbro bag I won't buy it.

The WT-215 is an older generic (i.e. non-Stihl specific) carb that is still available new. OEM kits should be readily available.

Your WT-215 should be readily rebuildable. Just be sure to check the fuel elbow for looseness and/or cracking. The white ones tended to do that. Also make sure that you check/adjust the metering lever height. Adjustment is mandatory if you use the new lever in the kit. The original should probably be set unless someone mucked with it which is why it should always be checked.

While you are at it you should replace the fuel line, fuel filter, and impulse line with OEM parts. Chinese rubber is JUNK!

Maybe when I get a job I will be able to invest. He has another lying around, maybe that other one isn't as ****ed as this one. As it's leaking chain oil as well, prolly the sealing. I just wanted to get a machine in order to help out a friend of mine. Now I'm 40 € further, but not a cut further.

The impulse line is not connected to the carb in any way ? That thing just sits on the cilinder & the orange cover (inlet)
1701875843017.png
Some connect directly to the carb. Some connect to the carb mounting plate. Which ever you have, just make sure it is not hard and not pliable. The impulse line is what makes the carb PUMP fuel. They're very inexpensive. I would replace it if not pliable/soft. jmho :cool: OT

The impulse on this saw is fed from the cylinder through the carb mount. The hose likes to come loose from the back of the carb mount. This creates an air leak and no impulse to pump fuel. These saws are also known for fuel hose leaks at the kink on top of the tank.

View attachment 1133528
Some connect directly to the carb. Some connect to the carb mounting plate. Which ever you have, just make sure it is not hard and not pliable. The impulse line is what makes the carb PUMP fuel. They're very inexpensive. I would replace it if not pliable/soft. jmho :cool: OT
Note that this parts illustration shows the easy-start version which the OP doesn't have. How do I know? The Wt-215 carb is not for the EX start. This also doesn't appear to show the impulse hose.

As it's leaking chain oil as well, prolly the sealing.
There is a plastic connector between the oil tank and the oil pump hidden underneath the handle that can leak. This is shown in the repair manual.

Now I'm 40 € further, but not a cut further.
Firing the parts cannon with little diagnosis is an inefficient way to repair chainsaws. Everyone has to learn somehow.

Note that this parts illustration shows the easy-start version which the OP doesn't have. How do I know? The Wt-215 carb is not for the EX start. This also doesn't appear to show the impulse hose.
Part #19 upper right. I think the illustration may be a combination of both models. Not sure. :cool: OT

Latest posts

Back