Shop that sends chain saws overseas......

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thankfully, most saws are less than $1000 USD. It just dictates that you ship any other items seperately so as to avoid going over that value as MCW mentioned.

A second parcel from the same origin and to the same destination with a total value of more than AUD$1000 may see the Aussie recipient receive a visit from customs, a 3rd parcel will be even more likely to receive a visit

A second parcel from the same origin and to the same destination with a total value of more than AUD$1000 may see the Aussie recipient receive a visit from customs, a 3rd parcel will be even more likely to receive a visit

Good point ! A friend of mine imported some goods from Asia and spread the delivery to several relatives adresses to overcome this problem. I think you can get away with that occasionally but would not recommend it on a regular basis.

Thats right Bob. All up to Custom's discretion. They reserve the right if a number of parcels are shipped to the same recipient over a short period to combine the value of ALL parcels and treat them as one. You just don't see the following parcels, then you get a letter, then you have to pay, and if you argue, you will lose, still pay, and pay all their costs too.

Also Rick you're right about Aussie volumes and I know there are certain rules and contracts in place so it's not as simple as what I'm writing next... BUT... if Makita Australia wanted me to sell a 7901 to me (as a Makita dealer for instance) at, let's say, AUD$1050, yet I could import one from the states and land it here for AUD$850 (which I can land a 7900 here for inc. freight) I would start importing saws myself. Warranty wouldn't be a major concern if I had a dealership and a good mechanic. This goes for the HD kit too. I'm sick of the way we get ripped off in this country for most things compared to our overseas counterparts :censored:
The company that I work for started importing it's own branded tech grade soluble fertilisers mid last year. By cutting out the middle man not only have we worked out what markup they were adding but now we are very competitive. The middle man was making 4 times more profit than we were as we had to go in at very tight margins to win with our old suppliers.

Just in case the guys on the US side don't understand the price differences, here is a photo I took in a shop (Ace Saws) near Mordialloc last month:

attachment.php

$US and AUD were nearly even, within 5% in any case...what could you get at you local Stihl dealer for $1000?

Mark

HOLY CRAP a 390 for a $1000 what a rip off

HOLY CRAP a 390 for a $1000 what a rip off

At current exchange rates that works out to about USD$910 odd. And that is a very good deal out here too! Guy I know paid about USD$1120 for his 390 about a year ago.

Yup, we get shafted however Stihl do tend to shaft us harder than others. The gap between US pricing and Aussie pricing seems to be greatest with Stihl. Stihl is a fair bit dearer than the equivalent Husky in my area.

At current exchange rates that works out to about USD$910 odd. And that is a very good deal out here too! Guy I know paid about USD$1120 for his 390 about a year ago.

Yup, we get shafted however Stihl do tend to shaft us harder than others. The gap between US pricing and Aussie pricing seems to be greatest with Stihl. Stihl is a fair bit dearer than the equivalent Husky in my area.

Yep, and Makita are the sharpest in their pricing, you can buy a 7900 for somewhere between A$900 and A$1000 the but no one buys them as

1. They don't advertise their OPE
2. Whoever outside of AS has heard of a Makita chainsaw ? (because they don't advertise their OPE, etc)

Yep, and Makita are the sharpest in their pricing, you can buy a 7900 for somewhere between A$900 and A$1000 the but no one buys them as

1. They don't advertise their OPE
2. Whoever outside of AS has heard of a Makita chainsaw ? (because they don't advertise their OPE, etc)

Do you mean a 7901 at AUD$900-1000 from an Australian supplier Rick? If it's the shop I'm thinking of then their prices have gone up since then, a lot...

http://www.norwesttools.com.au/page...hopping_outdoor/petroltools/keyword//offset/0

This place were selling them for AUD$970 odd not that long ago (from memory mate you put me onto the link?). Can't be the Aussie dollar either, our current exchange rate should have made them cheaper...

Well I'm sorry to hear that. But if anybody wants I'll go to a shop and you can call them, pay with a credit card over the phone, and I'll get a different box and ship it for you just pm me and we can work out details and phone numbers. I always need a new excuse to go to the saw shop, girlfriend thinks I'm nuts lol.
she don't understand chainsaws arnt just a tool,but a life style

$1000

is this right or wrong ,seem to be differing stories ,i read some where on ebay that the postage or freight charges are not included in the $1000 figure:dizzy::dizzy:

Do you mean a 7901 at AUD$900-1000 from an Australian supplier Rick? If it's the shop I'm thinking of then their prices have gone up since then, a lot...

http://www.norwesttools.com.au/page...hopping_outdoor/petroltools/keyword//offset/0

This place were selling them for AUD$970 odd not that long ago (from memory mate you put me onto the link?). Can't be the Aussie dollar either, our current exchange rate should have made them cheaper...

Yep, that was them....their price has jumped over A$150 in the space of a few months ??
They must have been listing them as loss leaders originally ??

is this right or wrong ,seem to be differing stories ,i read some where on ebay that the postage or freight charges are not included in the $1000 figure:dizzy::dizzy:

http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page5549.asp

I was always under the impression that the A$1000 limit included postage from what I'd read elsewhere on the Customs site, but Matt and Al reckon not (and Matt has had to pay GST + fees on some saw imports) yet Serg/Husq2100 has been told by several customs brokers that it does ?? :dizzy:

Last edited:

Postage is NOT included in the AUD$1000 limit mate. Straight from the Custom's website and I've tested this a number of times with no dramas.

Yep, that was them....their price has jumped over A$150 in the space of a few months ??
They must have been listing them as loss leaders originally ??

Yeah I reckon they went in sharp to make a name for themselves then got back in line with everyone else. It does look like they'll price match though so their price must be around the mark and not too dear I would think.

EDIT: Rick replied at the same time :)

One of these is the go 2009 Falcon FG XR6 Turbo with luxery pack 19'' rims,leather int,climate control and 6 speed auto.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Sorry for getting off track guys.

Off track? Don't be stupid :) I'd go the Turboed XR6 over the V8 anyday but I'd go the manual box, even though the masses say the auto is better. They go hard for a stock car. I've been in an FPV F6 Typhoon with 300rwkw (400rwhp) and that was one awesome piece of work...

This is my third one, i had a BA,BF and the FG is far the best i have had.But working at Ford makes em a lot cheaper for me.(the manual is way slower,and you need two hands to hang on to wheel anyway):biggrinbounce2::biggrinbounce2:

This is my third one, i had a BA,BF and the FG is far the best i have had.But working at Ford makes em a lot cheaper for me.(the manual is way slower,and you need two hands to hang on to wheel anyway):biggrinbounce2::biggrinbounce2:

Yeah my brother worked at Holden and cars were cheap :) I'd never been a big Aussie Ford fan until the XR6 Turbos came out. I do like the manuals though, only because I've always liked a gearbox! The autos do hold the torque better though and they are an excellent auto compared to many. I really like the look of the FG's. They've converted a lot of Holden fans...

Yeah my brother worked at Holden and cars were cheap :) I'd never been a big Aussie Ford fan until the XR6 Turbos came out. I do like the manuals though, only because I've always liked a gearbox! The autos do hold the torque better though and they are an excellent auto compared to many. I really like the look of the FG's. They've converted a lot of Holden fans...

Just wondering when you get a saw from the US do you bring it under your company name or personal.
ps when you get that MS660 back and if you dont like it i may be interested in it.
Cheers

Just wondering when you get a saw from the US do you bring it under your company name or personal.
ps when you get that MS660 back and if you dont like it i may be interested in it.
Cheers

Actually I mix it up a bit just so it doesn't send off any red flashing lights with Customs that I'm importing too much gear. I either send it to my mum and dad's address under "Riverland Sawchain Supply" or to myself at work. Doesn't make any difference though as long as the value is declared under AUD$1000. I'll keep you in mind with the MS660 mate, looking forward to giving one a workout. 1/2 a day of tree felling will make my mind up :cheers:

Latest posts

Back