short throw line "in the tree " organisation troubles.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tramp bushler

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Interior ,Alaska, Copper River Valley,, Coastal Al
I got a line mug and short throw line. But stuffing it back in while up a tree is a royal pita. I am now using it cut to about 35' and with a throw weight and leave it stretched out. I've thot about a graphite fishing reel on a cut off trolling pole but?????????
Any ideas on how to keep the throw line organized.

I got a line mug and short throw line. But stuffing it back in while up a tree is a royal pita. I am now using it cut to about 35' and with a throw weight and leave it stretched out. I've thot about a graphite fishing reel on a cut off trolling pole but?????????

What are you pulling in with the throw line Tramp? Lowering line, climbing line? I can usually throw a rope 15' or so pretty accurately when rigged right and it saves on double work.

+ 1 on the fly reel. U can get it cheap from Walmart. I read somewhere that someone used a chalk line reel but seems like it might be a bit small.

Hey tramp,
Of course everyone has their preference.
I use a chalk line, actually two because of the way I place lines for a traverse.
I get about 60' comfortably in each one, which is more than enough (even for a guy like me that over does everything!) for in the tree work.
Here is a video on how I set it up and around minute 4 I show throwing it.

I modified one of these a little for in tree use. Just made the bottom of it hinged with duct tape so I could fold it like a regular cube. You can also do this by inserting rods. SherrillTree sells them.
View attachment 314479

One more thing, that stuffing it into the bag is crazy. If I'm putting it in a mug I will use the figure 8 over the thumb and pinky thing.

Hope this give you some more ideas.

Last edited:
Hey tramp, can't say I have tried this yet but...Have you or anyone else tried a kite reel. I have thinking about trying one myself. Those big kites use line similar to ours. Just a thought and like I said I have not tried it myself yet.

Thanks for all the replies everyone!
I didn't get any notifications for quite a while and have been recouping from a very busy season. And building and filling my woodshed. I should be out busting my butt getting things ready for freeze up but am on my 3 rd cup of coffee. . . I use a 5 gallon bucket for when I am on the ground using the BigShot and 150' of throw line. But when I'm in a tree I use the short ling with a 16 oz bag for advancing my line or for setting pulling lines on nearby trees that need to be pulled. I use an aluminum SideKick extendable pole for pulling the bag back to me. . I use my climbing line most of the time to have stuff sent up the tree. But sometimes the throw line.

.... I use an aluminum SideKick extendable pole for pulling the bag back to me. .....
I don't remember if we talked about this here before. Have you used the boomerang trick? Here is a video where I practiced on the ground and could get the bag back with a toss of more than 40'.
In the tree of course it is more difficult and I would never expect that kind of distance but under the right conditions and a short toss as you would be doing with the extendable pole it works. It is a nice trick to put in your bag of tricks.

Boomerang practice with throw bag.

Back