Shorted delivery

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The picture below was taken from this site:
http://www.bouldercounty.org/os/openspace/pages/forestrysales.aspx

cordfirewoodlg.jpg
Looks like their pic for a 1/2 cord is more like a 3/4 cord load when compared to the full cord load.

Harry K

I've said it before and I'll say it again, everyone around here sells wood by the facecord and I don't know anybody that has been to jail over it. There is no reason why you can't give the third measurement ( length of pieces) and really you would be stupid if you didn't ask anyway. Keep in mind that the world doesn't revolve around where you live it's a big world out there.
That's the way it is around here. The only ones I have ever seen selling by cords are the loggers that sell log loads. Never have I seen cords or fractions thereof of cut and split. Only facecords.

I've yet to catch the seller at home yet. I've been by his place several times. Curious to hear his take on this.

Just wondering if this ever got resolved or is still grinding away in the wheels of justice.

If I'd seen it earlier could have given the guy a hand recently.

Just for reference A full size 8 foot bed pickup truck that's loaded up high over the rails up to the cab is about half of a cord .anyone advertising they fit a cord in a standard passenger pickup truck is a liar it is physically impossible to do so

We used to use a Kaiser M715. With the sides on the bed 128 cuft was a small load. I don't think it even slowed that slow truck down

I sell and deliver by the truckload, not by the cord. When my truck is packed and mounded up high and and limps into the driveway, I show the owner the load of firewood on board before I unload. See avatar.

No complaints.
How much do you fit in your Ranger?

I couldn't imagine paying 100$ for a pickup of firewood let alone in a tiny bed must be a area of high income yuppies or city slickers ...more power to ya cuz around here You'd have a hard time getting 50 for that size load

How much do you fit in your Ranger?
Most of the time, 80 cubic feet. My Avatar Pic shows the average load. Note the racks that allow me to stack firewood almost cab high. When unloading, I remove the back board. When washing the truck, I remove all three. The two sideboards lift out of the wells in the truck's panels.

I like this arrangement. The sideboards are made with 4/4 ash hardwood, built up as needed for the four posts and two corner joints.

When I first started burning wood for heat about 5 years ago, I knew going in that I didn't have enough to last. I had bought a cord from a chap I found on Craigslist and was pleasantly surprised that it was a full cord, nicely seasoned and a decent price. I contacted him the following year to make up my scrounging shortcomings with another cord. His son dropped it off while I was working and was paid by my wife. After stacking it I found it to be a half cord and I was pissed. After I called him and said I'd been shorted a half, he tried. To reassure me that he had loaded the truck and trailer himself and he's sure of the amount. Back and forth, etc.....after two days of stewing over how I was going to proceed, my pjone rings. He says he'll be over with his son and the wood in half an hour. It turns out his son and a friend of his had been shorting the deliveries and reselling the wood themselves on Craigslist.....he gave me a full cord to make up for it and I can only imagine what his son paid for his ****ery...

Most of the time, 80 cubic feet. My Avatar Pic shows the average load. Note the racks that allow me to stack firewood almost cab high. When unloading, I remove the back board. When washing the truck, I remove all three. The two sideboards lift out of the wells in the truck's panels.

I like this arrangement. The sideboards are made with 4/4 ash hardwood, built up as needed for the four posts and two corner joints.

My racks are cab high. I load a rick crosswise in front level with the racks and the same in the back as a 'tail gate' Rest is loosely thrown in. I figure it as 3/4 cord and I know it is some over that. Never had a customer complain about 'short load' anyhow. Looks like your carefully stacked load would equal more than 3/4 cord.

Harry K

I couldn't imagine paying 100$ for a pickup of firewood let alone in a tiny bed must be a area of high income yuppies or city slickers ...more power to ya cuz around here You'd have a hard time getting 50 for that size load

We used to run wood in a M715 Kaiser. A cord (128 cu ft) would not even bend the springs, and could get close to two cord on it, it would only go 50 mph and two cord did not slow it down.

My friend still has the M715, the original OHC 6 is getting old. Might give him an offer and put a new/old SBC in it.

That truck would also go IN THE WOODS, with a FULL load.

PS same truck took down a telephone pole, truck had a bent bumper and tie rod . New tie rod and she was good to go.

My racks are cab high. I load a rick crosswise in front level with the racks and the same in the back as a 'tail gate' Rest is loosely thrown in. I figure it as 3/4 cord and I know it is some over that. Never had a customer complain about 'short load' anyhow. Looks like your carefully stacked load would equal more than 3/4 cord.

whoa, Please correct my math if its wrong:

6' x 5' x 16" ( normal short-bed ) = 40 cu. ft., plus however high over the rails with the rack he has, he needs another 16" to make 80 cu. ft. ( hard to tell exactly how high he has it over the racks, so maybe 80 is possible ) . But over 3/4 cord ( 96 cu ft. ) would mean 24" higher than the normal bed rails.

I have to agree with branchbuzzer that I cannot get 3/4 cord into this truck, even stacked cab high, so 80 cu ft is still my final estimate. If it were a full-size half ton truck with a 7' box, then 96 cu ft or 3/4 cord would be possible with these racks. However, the Ranger XLT with a 6' box will top out at 80 cu ft. I carefully load it rather than throw the logs in, and that helps get to the 80 cu ft for each load.

Frankly, if I am delivering really high-quality locust, ash, or oak, this truck is topped out at 80 cu ft anyway. Overloading is not my cup of tea, and the truck really appreciates that.

whoa, Please correct my math if its wrong:

6' x 5' x 16" ( normal short-bed ) = 40 cu. ft., plus however high over the rails with the rack he has, he needs another 16" to make 80 cu. ft. ( hard to tell exactly how high he has it over the racks, so maybe 80 is possible ) . But over 3/4 cord ( 96 cu ft. ) would mean 24" higher than the normal bed rails.

I took his bed to be a standard 8'. Checked the pictures and couldn't tell either way.

Harry K

We used to run wood in a M715 Kaiser. A cord (128 cu ft) would not even bend the springs, and could get close to two cord on it, it would only go 50 mph and two cord did not slow it down.

My friend still has the M715, the original OHC 6 is getting old. Might give him an offer and put a new/old SBC in it.

That truck would also go IN THE WOODS, with a FULL load.

PS same truck took down a telephone pole, truck had a bent bumper and tie rod . New tie rod and she was good to go.

Assuming the standard box, that's 41 square feet of bed area (63 13/16" W x 92 5/8" L). That'd take wood stacked 6' tall the full length and width of the bed to get two cords on.

I ain't saying it can't be done, but I'd sure like to see it.

I always buy my fire wood by weight seems to take out the chances of someone being dishonest.

I always buy my fire wood by weight seems to take out the chances of someone being dishonest.
It would seem so, but you could be paying for lots of water. I remember lobstermen keeping their "spiders" in water until just before weighing them for sale. Got 'em paid for a few more pounds of "lobster". :rolleyes:

Back