Should I buy a Husky 357xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnb

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi I'm looking for a new saw for cutting firewood. I want it on a 20" bar. I think I am interested in a 357xp but don't have much quaility information on it. If anyone has first hand knowlege I would appreciate some info. thanks
The Hoosier

I would look long and hard at the Husqvarna 359 I have owned my share of 357's but have a 359EHP in the wings. Both saws are great and I have run both of them. The 357 having a full circle crank while the 359 doesn't.

You might also consider the 365. It is on a bigger frame, and used the big Husky bar mount. That might come in handy if you have or want to have a bigger saw down the line...

I just wonder......

...why Husky is using the small bar mount on saws in the 60cc class, thus sharing cutting attachment options with saws down to about 40cc. They do on the 357xp and 359, and did the same on the 262xp and 362xp.
I can understand that it it is desirable to be able to use .325 sprocket with less than 9 teeth, but as it restricts the 3/8" options to the 7-teeth sprocket, the deal is a bad one in my opinion.
I know that it annoys my brother that he is not able to use 3/8x8 on his 262xp, and how about people with modified saws?

I changed to 3/8x8 on my MS361 as soon as it was broken in, and see no reason to look back. It just works great in the birch that I usually cut!

Is there a way to convert these saws to the large spline/large Husky mount? :confused:

Last edited:
SawTroll said:
I can understand that it it is desirable to be able to use .325 sprocket with less than 9 teeth, but as it restricts the 3/8" options to the 7-teeth sprocket, the deal is a bad one in my opinion.
I know that it annoys my brother that he is not able to use 3/8x8 on his 262xp, and how about people with modified saws?

Both of my 359 have the large spline clutch while my 357 has the small spline clutch.

On my 359 EHP the 8 tooth gear is borderline in big hardwood. The saw likes a 7 tooth gear better!!!

I would like to add that the 359 WILL pull an 8 tooth gear, but, with the kind of torque that I like in a saw the 7 is far more satisfying!!!

Last edited:
Something I haven't seen much of and wonder about is why don't people buy a 353 and have it modded? It is always said how a 353 is a prograde saw, and it is about 70 bucks less than a 359. and a pound lighter with putting the saving toward the mod how would it weigh out compared to a stock 357xp/359? Ccicoria did a 345 I believe and they were very happy with what they had for a package when they were done. I love to hear any insight from you guys on if this has been done and why or why not?

Lucky

thanks for the reply I've been curious about that saw and the whole thing is the
power to weight trade off.

lucky

Latest posts

Back