should i buy a splitter?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

audible fart

MS390 OAK CZAR
Reaction score
Can't decide if I should buy a splitter or continue to hand split. I only deal with around 10-15 cords or so maximum every year, but it's time consuming. I went to home depot and they had a 12 ton splitter w/ a briggs and stratton (210cc? I think) motor. Would a 12 ton splitter have enough splitting power, or would it just piss me off? It's $700. I saw some online with tonnage up in the 30's but I can't justify the price for an industrial unit. I guess i'm willing to spend up to $700 or so. Any suggestions on minimum tonnage or brands to avoid are welcome. Electric splitters aren't an option; i'm not interested in them.

Well, if you're spending 700 on a 12 ton model, I'd go to TSC and get the 22ton for 1000.
I like splitting by hand, but have tendonitis and carpal tunnel so I couldn't do a whole lot at a time. I bought the splitter and am very glad I did. It's still a lot of work, but much faster. I still split a couple face cord by hand after getting the splitter though.

As always you can shop used units, but in the 5 months I was looking off and on I found very few within an hour or two of me.

Buy a splitter, or rent one a day a year and save yourself the work. I went in on our Craftsman 27 ton with me, brother and my dad so it really gets used. My dad thinks it's his though so if you go in on one make sure you have a decent agreement.

I think 10-15 cord justifies a splitter. I justified one and I only do 5-7 cord a year. I would agree that you would be much better off getting the 22ton Huskee at TSC for $1000. I don't think you will have any problems splitting anything and if you do then you probably wouldn't have been able to split it by hand. Not without any real effort anyway.

Good Luck

-Jones

Forgive my ignorance, but what is TSC? Sure I like the idea of more tonnage, but what is the real world performance difference of 12 ton vs 22? If it's just a few seconds per log I'd rather save the $300. Has anyone here bought a 12 ton and regretted it? By the way, my 10-15 cord per year estimate is on the optimistic side, but that would be the maximum.

I think 10-15 cord justifies a splitter. I justified one and I only do 5-7 cord a year. I would agree that you would be much better off getting the 22ton Huskee at TSC for $1000. I don't think you will have any problems splitting anything and if you do then you probably wouldn't have been able to split it by hand. Not without any real effort anyway.

Good Luck

-Jones

+1

I had a splitter given to me that I worked over to modern days specs with a 2 stage direct drive pump. It will probably get reworked again this winter to get a new frame and wedge. The only things that were really worth anything was the engine, valve and the cylinder. But the short of it is that it is definitely worth it at the end of the day when your back isn't as sore.

Forgive my ignorance, but what is TSC? Sure I like the idea of more tonnage, but what is the real world performance difference of 12 ton vs 22? If it's just a few seconds per log I'd rather save the $300. Has anyone here bought a 12 ton and regretted it? By the way, my 10-15 cord per year estimate is on the optimistic side, but that would be the maximum.

Tractor Supply Center. Pretty sure there is one up there in the northern end of the state. The tonnage has nothing to do with how fast it goes through the log other than if it can get through that knotted chunk of oak. You won't regret the extra 10 tons of force. Trust me.

Trust me...once you get a splitter, you'll wonder why you used to split all that wood by hand !!!!! Splitting by hand will never ever cross your mind again !!!
I'm not lazy by any means, but having a splitter is better than sliced bread !!!!

Basso

I say split by hand my maul cost 25.00 its on its second year do not have to change the oil worry about bad gas and it really does not take up a lot of room in the shed. Oh yeah and it does not hurt the strength thing.

You may be able to find one on Craigslist or your local want ads. You might be able to get a bigger unit cheaper that way.

I'm all in favor of a splitter but,

If your on a budget of $700 I'd say try splitting the gravy by hand, and renting a decent commercial quality splitter for a weekend to deal with the uglies. Around here you can rent a Timberwolf or American for about $100 a weekend.

Save up if you can and I agree if you decide to buy, especially at 10 -15 cord a year get the TSC 22 ton Speeco, or look for a good used unit.

Take Care

I will continue to split by hand till I can no longer do it physically. I did 30 cords this last winter and it was good excercise. I'm about to turn 50 and I certainly feel it after a session of splitting. A hydraulic unit is not that far off for me but I am not looking forward to having to get one.

I will continue to split by hand till I can no longer do it physically. I did 30 cords this last winter and it was good excercise. I'm about to turn 50 and I certainly feel it after a session of splitting. A hydraulic unit is not that far off for me but I am not looking forward to having to get one.

Congrats for being so awesome and hardcore. I'm a guy that's 29, don't care about physical fitness, and I have enormous breasts.

I'm all in favor of a splitter but,

If your on a budget of $700 I'd say try splitting the gravy by hand, and renting a decent commercial quality splitter for a weekend to deal with the uglies. Around here you can rent a Timberwolf or American for about $100 a weekend.

Save up if you can and I agree if you decide to buy, especially at 10 -15 cord a year get the TSC 22 ton Speeco, or look for a good used unit.

Take Care
:agree2:

i have a 27 ton troybilt splitter. cost $1350 new at lowes hardware. it has plenty of power. if a knot wont split it will cut through it. slowly - but it does it. i think a 22 would be fine but I'm skeptical of a 12 ton model. if you don't have anything with knots then it would work but if you dont have anything with knots you don't really need a splitter. ive sold firewood for five years and bought a splitter three years ago. i split about 40 cords by hand and the only reason i bought the splitter was that i cleared three acres that was all shagbark hickory and it wasnt possible to split by hand. it was either buy a splitter or set fire to the whole pile. ive never regretted the splitter. i now split about 80 cords a year and do it sitting down. i can do it all day long with no breaks and might use a gallon of gas. mine is extremely fuel efficient if youre selling wood its the only way to go. try looking for some used ones. you can probably get a big used one for around $700.

I just bought a northern tool 37 ton.I dont even burn wood.I dont know how I spent all those years working trees up with out it.I sell some and I remove storm damaged trees on the side.My church just cut 27 trees and all of them were big oaks.You will be disapointed in anything less then 30 tons.

Moose

I split about 15 cords per year. I built my own splitter that used tractor hydraulics but the valve limited the force, only had 12 tons, not enough. Plus, I was putting a lot of hours on an expensive tractor. I bought a Swisher 21 ton splitter 2 months ago at a farm supply store for $875. I got it cheap because it had been on their inventory for over a year (everyone thought they needed more force). List price was $1249. I have split 7 cords of elm with it and have no complaints. It does work the 7 horse motor when I hit that knarly, twisted part but it has not failed to split anything I have put to it. Cycle time is about 14 seconds even in the tough stuff, a little slow but faster than me doing it with a sledge and wedge. Ash, Oak and fruit woods are much faster.

Do some research, be patient and you will find a good bargain on a good splitter.

This is my first post here. I've been reading for about a month and decided to register. A lot of good info here, hope I can add to it and get some answers to my questions.

Outlander

Welcome.

That's very good input. I had the same issue when I was looking into a splitter. The main relief on the tractor hydraulics severly limited the available splitting force so I went with a stand alone unit.
Also the weight of a decent splitter that far back on the three point hitch would have created some "interesting" transport issues on the uneven terrain.

Take Care

Around here only pine or misc straight wood will split without a splitter, an ax just bounces off most oak or eucalyptus. I rented a splitter first, once I saw the light I went on the lookout for one and scored a new 22 ton for only $500 bucks. I wouldnt split 1 cord of wood by hand now let alone 10, sawing and splitting are the only fun part of having a firewood gathering addiction IMO....

Last edited:
Audible Fart, I was bored this morning, and went on Craigslist in Baltimore for you. There are a couple splitters on there. One is a 22 ton for $450. You might want to check it out.

Back