Should I buy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Msarti

Reaction score
Hello, first time newbie here.
I want to buy a new saw. Considering a 261 cm. I currently have a Stihl 440 magnum with 25” bar and a Stihl 391 with a 20” bar. This saw would be for woods use and for bucking smaller logs. I and am looking for a lighter smaller combo, Maybe a 16” or 18” bar. Please chime in with your opinions. Thanks in advance, Mark.

Just a comment. As time goes foreward, power goes up, and weight goes down. Unless EPA gets involved, then power goes down, and weight goes up. The key is to buy a very popular saw, with a big customer base, that's pretty new.
But, that's a lot of saws!
N

You'll love a good 50cc saw! The others will mostly sit. Imo, 50cc means 16" bar unless you lose a bunch with silly large double dawgs (which get in the way when limbing and such, imo). You have your other saws barred correctly, so do the same with your 50.

or not...

A 16" bar will cut a decent round.
This is my 50cc with a 16", running 3/8 chain.
5644a0e3af3d9fd7cbcdbfdce6e1db4a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

I have a 261 cm and it is a ripper!!!! Very nice, starts easy and really pulls nice. I haven't had it long, but its been nice thus far. I thought I had an oiler problem with it, apparently i was just "piss" reving it too much, causing oil to puddle when i shut it down. It has not done that since cutting in wood. Hope that helps! I have to add, as an Echo fan as well, the 501p is a nice option too! Cheaper and a great reliable saw. These newer Echos are pro saws!!!! As for the 261cm, its been about 30° temp change in the past week. I've used the saw in 50° and 25° this past week. It has run great and the m-tronic has done its job.

Back