Should I contact Stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If they just ran out, why not give the dealer a chance to get some more in and supply you with one?

Or when you pay that much for a for a piece of equipment you you should be treated as so. I would call stihl and pitch a you know what. My deealer regardless of knowledge, fuels it up starts it and checks the carb and I have cut with him before. Did you get that treatment? You should have.

you know a few hours ago, when i noticed this thread and saw the title
"should I contact Stihl" I thought to myself
how long will it take before someone says

no you should contact husky.
we are oh so very close to that right now. :popcorn:
To me it has nothing to do with the brand at all. I'd tell geocom or anyone else the same thing if the same thing happened at a Husky dealer or any other brand's dealer. Stihl, Husky, Johnny Red, Dolmar they're all good saws. Get which ever you want, just make sure you get all the things that the saw leaves the manufacture with, especially the most important tool you're going to need to use your saw.......the scrench! ;)

All this over a f:censored: g scrench. And they ....gulp.... started your saw.

Get a life.:buttkick:

Or when you pay that much for a for a piece of equipment you you should be treated as so. I would call stihl and pitch a you know what. My deealer regardless of knowledge, fuels it up starts it and checks the carb and I have cut with him before. Did you get that treatment? You should have.

Be realistic. You're talking about a $2 inconsequential part and not being giving something on charity to win the guy's good will. If you haven't noticed, I'm not exactly pro Stihl, but this is ridiculous.

Be realistic. You're talking about a $2 inconsequential part and not being giving something on charity to win the guy's good will. If you haven't noticed, I'm not exactly pro Stihl, but this is ridiculous.

I would check with the dealer and see when he is getting some in. Pretty easy in my opinion.

Many dealers sell the extras, well, as extras.... The last one I worked at
sold the screnches for $8.95, and so on.

The manual/scrench/book/screwdriver combos do e=bay quite well

I would check with the dealer and see when he is getting some in. Pretty easy in my opinion.

Yep. Always better to deal directly with the guy who upset you. Only after they won't work with you should you go over their heads. To go directly to Stihl at this point just frustrates good business dealings and makes more trouble for everyone.

Many dealers sell the extras, well, as extras.... The last one I worked at
sold the screnches for $8.95, and so on.

The manual/scrench/book/screwdriver combos do e=bay quite well

Does the ban of online sales carry over to screnches?

So I got the new 460 Saturday I was a little surprised that they wouldn't even throw in a spark plug or some oil but was now that I think about it pretty mad that they said they didn't even have any more of the sciences and screwdrivers only handed my a manual and said thanks for shopping

Now I do most of the work myself but would not take the saw to them for service if I had to

So my question is this should I contact Stihl about this and say hey I want my french and carb screwdriver or just leave it alone..

Thanks in advance

:monkey:

stop being cheap by it your self tom trees

Yep. Always better to deal directly with the guy who upset you. Only after they won't work with you should you go over their heads. To go directly to Stihl at this point just frustrates good business dealings and makes more trouble for everyone.

There are a lot of different answers to this scenario.
An excellent dealer would have pulled one from another box and gave it to him.
If he was truly out, then he is out and should make note to call the customer when he gets some in.
But wait, lets call the manufacturer and complain that they started up my saw (which they are asked to do by the manufacturer) and let's see if they will mail me a scrench for all of my hassle. LMFAO....what a joke.

Not just about the scrench

This is not just about the Scrench they are cheap I have several the point was that without a tach or anything else attached there was some 18 year old kid running the 460 wide open like I said for a good 5 minutes straight when I finally went into the backroom..

Like I said in a previous post i am not out to make the dealer look bad or get them in trouble however what if someone who never had a saw didn't have a scrench had purchased there saw with no way to adjust the chain that could get someone hurt (I know unlikely but not impossible)

at any rate like I said I don't want to put the screws to the dealer or anything like that that is not how I operate but I can say that I won't buy another from them and won't recommend them to anyone to purchase a saw

also if you pay good $$$$ for something shouldn't you get everything that came in the box when the dealer got it..

oh well at least they let me have the warranty info lol

wanted to add that I called the dealer like said it's a multi stop shop they said to contact customer service and gave me an their 800 number...

Last edited:
This is not just about the Scrench they are cheap I have several the point was that without a tach or anything else attached there was some 18 year old kid running the 460 wide open like I said for a good 5 minutes straight when I finally went into the backroom..

Like I said in a previous post i am not out to make the dealer look bad or get them in trouble however what if someone who never had a saw didn't have a scrench had purchased there saw with no way to adjust the chain that could get someone hurt (I know unlikely but not impossible)

at any rate like I said I don't want to put the screws to the dealer or anything like that that is not how I operate but I can say that I won't buy another from them and won't recommend them to anyone to purchase a saw

also if you pay good $$$$ for something shouldn't you get everything that came in the box when the dealer got it..

I'm with you, For 800 bucks you should have got that warm and fuzzy feeling.

wanted to add that I called the dealer like said it's a multi stop shop they said to contact customer service and gave me an their 800 number...
I agree with you too. Find a new dealer!

So are you saying that they held it wide open,,,,without a bar & Chain???? for 5 minutes????

unless he tached it from the get go (before you got back there) and set it very rich,,, (which with limiter caps installed would be very hard to do) it seems to me it should have fried the saw,,,,,Don't get me wrong, I not calling you a liar,,,,, something just sounds fishy about this story :monkey: :monkey: :monkey:

no trained Stihl Tech would ever do that,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Last edited:
The bar anc chain

The bar and chain were already attached they were sitting on the display shelf already assembled..

And I am pretty sure he was no Stihl tech just a kid working part time they don't even do repairs at this store as it turns out they send them to another of their stores about 50 miles away...

guess I shoulda checked the repair thing first huh

So I have decided ( few posts back ) that it isn't worth contacting Stihl probably never would have any way
I kind of just wanted to get feedback from the guys/ gals on this site see where the opinions lie, I am not a pro user and wanted to get input from the guys on here that have purchased more than two new saws.
I am still thrilled to have the MS460 but didn't get the same fuzzy feeling as I got when I purchased the Ms250 and the service was no where near what it was when I got the MS250 however that being said I am gonna take the advice I got here and move on to a new dealer and let sleeping dogs lie...

Thanks again for the input didn't mean to sound petty if I did just kinda wanted input on what you guys though over all...

GEO

Last edited:
questionable dealer help

Have to agree big bucks deserve warm fuzzy feeling. Dealer wouldn't start with a B would it? If my Homelites ever wear out and I can't get a Jred or a Husky I might have to buy a Stihl , would want to avoid that dealer. Only Stihl I own is a leaf blower, got 2 weedeaters and a Craftsman too, Stihl least dependable of the lot sorry to say.

Taken Straight from a Stihl owners manual,,, in :

Operating instructions

"A factory new machine should not be run at high revs (full throttle off load) for the first three tank fillings."

When setting up a factory new saw for a customer it is REQUIRED Standard operating procedure for a WOT burst just to check WOT operation rpms and return to idle rpms,,,and sustained running operation at about 1/4 to 1/2 throttle (just long enough) to check and make sure the chain is oiling,,, then adjustments as needed once the machine is warmed up,,,,,, which may be one in ten needing adjustment

Every new saw comes with a carby driver and a scrench,,,,,,

Last edited:
From Stihl's web site:
"We can give you 8,000 reasons, our legion of independent STIHL dealers nationwide. We count on them every day and so can you. To give you a product demonstration, straight talk and genuine advice about STIHL products. To offer fast and expert on-site service. And to stand behind every product they carry, always fully assembled. You see, we won't sell you a chain saw in a box, not even in a big one."

So this dealer counts as one of the legion of 8000? What a crock! and you can find dealers with this attitude everywhere yet YOU have to search for a reputible one, or just be plain lucky, when you spend your hard earned cash, if you want a stihl.

Dealer does in fact start with B

Have to agree big bucks deserve warm fuzzy feeling. Dealer wouldn't start with a B would it? If my Homelites ever wear out and I can't get a Jred or a Husky I might have to buy a Stihl , would want to avoid that dealer. Only Stihl I own is a leaf blower, got 2 weedeaters and a Craftsman too, Stihl least dependable of the lot sorry to say.

the dealer does in fact start with a B and ends in T or s depending on who you are talking to that is all the info about them I am confortable to give out just because I had a bad experience doesn't mean everyone else will sometimes just the luck of the draw maybe it was my day to draw bad service lol

Thanks again guys/gals:clap:

Last edited:
Geo, some of the guys are being a bit hard on ya here IMO. If they went out and spent 800.00 on a new saw and the snot nosed kid at the store ran it wide F:censored:'n open for even one continuous minute they'd have gone through the roof, and then to get home and find out that they didn't even give them the F:censored:'n scrench......... I'da been piss:censored: ed

Yeah it's only a $5.00 tool, but it's a $5.00 tool you paid for and didn't get....... after paying full list price no less. :dizzy:

It's a principle thing, I'm with ya. :)

Back