Should I go bigger - cutting firewood only

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I cut 10-15 Full cords a year with a old 45cc 346xp for almost 10 years.

Then found this place.

Then started accumulating more saws.

15-20 cords per year now and Still use the old 346xp the most. :msp_smile:

150-200 delivered. Prices this year may go 250 due to access to Mtn because of fires

I did Zero cords this year

I cut 10-15 Full cords a year with a old 45cc 346xp for almost 10 years.

Then found this place.

Then started accumulating more saws.

15-20 cords per year now and Still use the old 346xp the most. :msp_smile:

That much would take all my weekends for the whole summer to cut, split and stack! Unless it was delivered log loads.

A face cord is 1/2 a cord around here, but I personally don't use any of the goofy names people sometimes use, like a rick of wood:dizzy:. All of these terms really have no true meaning, other than a cord. Measurement have to be based on a cord, a stack of wood measuring 4 × 4 × 8 feet or 128 cubic feet (3.62 cubic meters). This is the only legal way to sell firewood in Ohio. The Weights and Measures offices have been cracking down on people selling goofball amounts of firewood.:cheers:

A husky 350 is a great saw - to bother with something else you really need to look 70-90cc.

50cc = I'm using it all day. I dont want to feel dead at the end of the day.
60cc = I dont know what i need.
70cc = I can use it all day if I have to. I can get more done, but I'll be knackered.
90cc = I want to get finished and go home. I dont have to walk much.

In the Eastern USA a 70cc will fell and block the trunk of most new growth trees in harvested woods. I cut firewood for several years with a 60cc as my big chainsaw.

I occasionally see some big trees that are 90 - 120cc saw category in people's yards or out in the middle of a farm field.

I have 45 - 50 & 52 cc saws for limbing. I try to keep the 45's as light weight as possible with .325 chains and all my small saws wear a 16" bar.

I take more than one saw of the two sizes with me to the woods for you never know if something is going to go wrong with one?

You could use a bigger saw for sure for firewood. Conventional wisdom is a 50-70cc 2-saw plan, and use the smallest saw that will do the job. If you looking to work efficiently and for longer hours, that's the setup you want. OTOH, running a 90-120cc saw is a lot of fun and an excellent workout, but don't expect it to be faster unless the wood is consistently 30" dia. and over, and you'll have to be in incredibly good shape to put in long hours with it.

If you like Huskies, the 372xp is a solid choice, and the 562xp w/20" bar will be super-efficient yet still handle the occasional 30-32" dia. hardwood. In a Stihl, I'd go MS441 or used MS440.

Back