Should I go bigger - cutting firewood only

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
UpOnTheHill

UpOnTheHill

ArboristSite Guru
I heat my house and shop with wood stoves at our new place and i plan to cut about 20 face cords each year. I have about 18 face cords ready to go for this winter. I've burned wood for years but haven't used it for primary heat until now. With this amount of cutting I'm thinking about adding another saw in the 65cc to 75cc range to pull a 24 inch B&C. I have been dropping ash and oak trees between 12 and 20 inches in diameter with my husky 350 with 18 inch B&C and then bucking with the same saw. I plan to do this size routinely along with an occasional bigger tree, maybe 30 inches in diameter ( I have my eye on 2 already). I've only run bigger saws once when my buddy helped me a few years ago with his stihls. The trees i cut are mostly dead and there isn't much limbing to do but a lot of bucking. Is it worth it for me to buy a bigger saw? I feel like sometimes I'm really pushing my 350 when I've got it buried and its so light sometimes i have to muscle it somewhat. Will it make it easier (on me and my equipment) if i go bigger? One of the guys on here has a 371xp he will sell me for $375 but I haven't seen pics yet. I don't need a truck-load of saws, just the right tools to do the job. Those of you that cut a lot of firewood - what are your thoughts?
Thanks in advance

cat-face timber

cat-face timber

Knot Bumper
If it was me, I would get the largest saw you can afford.
You will find a use for it.
I like Huskys, so that is what I have.
There are other brands though :confused::confused::confused:

battlefordguy

battlefordguy

ArboristSite Operative
A 60-70cc saw certainly has it place in a two or three saw plan:clap:

IMHO- I would consider the weight of a 60-70 cc against the amount of use, I would intend to get with the 60-70cc saw.

Some of the 50cc are in a class by themselves, add a port job and you will gat a lighter saw that can run in the 60cc class easy.

I used the Johnny 670 for the grunt, now I consider the weight and now the 50cc and even 40cc see more use. But I am dealing with softwoods.

Last edited:
fearofpavement

fearofpavement

Trying them all
You said you don't want a bunch of saws. (that's another issue that'll get resolved later)

So, for firewood cutting, my guess is that no matter what larger saw(s) you get, most of the cutting will still be done with a saw in the 50cc class like you already have.

That said, I would go up a couple notches instead of one. Something in the 70cc or larger class should suit you fine for dealing with the large sections of the occasional large tree. A 371 would certainly be a solution as would any brand of saw in that size or larger. You would be unlikely to encounter anything that a 70cc saw couldn't handily deal with for your firewood purposes. I have a broad selection of saws and do the majority of cutting with a 50cc saw.

srb08

srb08

Doesn't play well with others
My favorite firewood saw is a Husq 562xp, 60cc. I'm a Stihl's guy and started with an 026, then a 261. I thought I needed larger 70cc class saw for firewood, so I got a 460.
While the 460 with an 8 pin rim and 20" bar is a blast to run, the 562xp is easier to run all day. Easier on fuel as well.

You probably need to post your question in the firewood forum.
The guys on this side of the fence tend to gravitate toward the largest, high performance saws available, then they modify them to make them even more high performance. Not that that's bad but it might not be what you really need.

apn73

apn73

ArboristSite Operative
You said you don't want a bunch of saws. (that's another issue that'll get resolved later)

So, for firewood cutting, my guess is that no matter what larger saw(s) you get, most of the cutting will still be done with a saw in the 50cc class like you already have.

That said, I would go up a couple notches instead of one. Something in the 70cc or larger class should suit you fine for dealing with the large sections of the occasional large tree. A 371 would certainly be a solution as would any brand of saw in that size or larger. You would be unlikely to encounter anything that a 70cc saw couldn't handily deal with for your firewood purposes. I have a broad selection of saws and do the majority of cutting with a 50cc saw.
+Another. And yes, there are a couple of other saw brands out there. An MS 440 or 441 would fit the bill just fine. You're obviously familiar with Husky and seem to like it, stick with it, 372xp would take care of what ales ya.

mdavlee

mdavlee

Tree Freak
I prefer the 70-90cc class for firewood. You get done cutting quicker so you have more time to split and stack. The cutting is a small portion of the time in processing firewood. I don't like bending over to buck no more than I have to so a 28-32" bar is easier on the back.

cat-face timber

cat-face timber

Knot Bumper
I prefer the 70-90cc class for firewood. You get done cutting quicker so you have more time to split and stack. The cutting is a small portion of the time in processing firewood. I don't like bending over to buck no more than I have to so a 28-32" bar is easier on the back.

+1

That is what my Husky 385 with a 28" bar, gets used for.

fwgsaw

fwgsaw

don't call me i will call you!!
I've found when bucking firewood the bigger the better.......unless ur packing a saw long distance the bigger saws just get more done faster, I started with a 60cc 17 years ago and have moved all the way up to 121cc I still use one small saw for limbing

procarbine2k1

procarbine2k1

Addicted to ArboristSite

I feel like very little of my time is spent cutting. But you cant bet your tail I stack about 10 times before it ends up in the stove lol.

homelitejim

homelitejim

Full of Scrap
The guys on this side of the fence tend to gravitate toward the largest, high performance saws available, then they modify them to make them even more high performance. Not that that's bad but it might not be what you really need.

Yes, but run a 288 or a 385 next to a 60 or 70cc saw in 30" oak.

Yes, add an additional larger saw.

While your 350 can get the job done, cutting 20" plus hardwood would be done much better with a larger CC saw and not work the engine nearly as hard, saving wear and tear on your main saw.

UpOnTheHill

UpOnTheHill

ArboristSite Guru
I'm a fairly young guy (37) in good shape and i can run my 350 for a good 3 hours before it starts to bother my back (bending over). The weight on my saw, which is very light, doesn't bother me in the least. I think I could go up 3 or 4 pounds easily as long as i don't have to bend over as much (longer bar). Today was funny, my brother had his echo 46cc saw and it didnt stand a chance against my husky. He ended up just marking the logs for me with his saw and loading the trailer. My saw was so much faster it didn't make sense for him to run his. I keep up on maintenance and touch up my teeth every one to two tanks. I do the rakers about every 6 to 8 tanks depending on what I'm cutting. Taking out the spark screen and adjusting the top end also helps, not that I would know :msp_wink:

ZeroJunk
I don't see where actual cutting time amounts to much when making fire wood. A big saw comes in handy on the occasional 30 inch plus tree when you need to noodle it in to quarters. But, for the majority of work a 60 cc saw is a gracious plenty. I always have a 100 cc saw or two around, but they are more for looking at.

fwgsaw

fwgsaw

don't call me i will call you!!
I don't see where actual cutting time amounts to much when making fire wood. A big saw comes in handy on the occasional 30 inch plus tree when you need to noodle it in to quarters. But, for the majority of work a 60 cc saw is a gracious plenty. I always have a 100 cc saw or two around, but they are more for looking at.

Why cut small wood when u can cut bigger stuff it adds up way faster.......that is if you have big trees in your area

Festus

Festus

ArboristSite Operative
. AS Supporting Member.
If you already have a 50cc saw, IMHO a move up to 70cc saw would be best. A good 371xp would be great. It will save a lot of time bucking.

As far as not needing a truck load of saws....what the heck does need have to do with it. You buy that 371 and you'll know what I mean when you can't stop grinning. Don't be surprised when you find yourself "needing" a 90cc saw.

BTW...maybe you're there already, but learn as much as you can about saw chain and sharpening. It's just as important as the saws you use.