Should I Or Should'nt I

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wouldhe

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I recently finished building a log splitter and I think it works great. Someone told me that the engine should stall if I run into something that wo'nt split. So far if I run into a tuff log my engine bogs down but will not stall. Usually I just turn the log over or around and it will split. Does it need to stall and if so how do I get it to do so. I am using a B&S 18 hp engine. :bang:

i'm using the same engine...b/s 18hp and only knotty maple has made my machine slow down....but, i don't think you want your engine to stall. if you have an updated control valve, it should be set to a certain pressure that will by-pass the cylinder when it reaches a certain point. if your engine stalled every time you ran into a tuff piece of wood, you'd be cursing and kicking the splitter. i've never heard of one stalling as a safety feature.

If you have a 2-stage pump a 18 hp. motor it should not stall . If it does it may be exceeding safe operating pressures.

The system should have a relief either built into the control valve or on the high pressure side of the control valve.

The motor may bog down slightly at full pressure but never stall.

Maximum pressure is about 2750 psi, never above 3000 psi.

I have a 18hp boxer-style twin briggs on my small splitter, with a 18gpm single stage pump it will balk at anything over 2000 psi and stall but my load is about 800 psi at 2gpm for my conveyor (separate pump sections) and 16gpm for the splitter cyl which is a 6.5" bore 24" stroke, nothing but a real nasty piece will stop it

Back