should i raise the price?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
An idea I have been toying with but haven't implemented yet. Just do barter as the first step. A lot of people are cash shy, but have junk they might swap for firewood. Just go for wicked deals, nothing else, it has to be a "you suck" level deal to you, and it doesn't matter what the swap is. Now, flip the stuff. You could very well come out way ahead of the game.

Sounds like you watch too much TV !!!!! :)

Sounds like you watch too much TV !!!!! :)

Hmmm..hardly none at all, just an idea I had. Just from noting how much stuff is for sale or swap on CL, and knowing every day, dollars get tighter for a lot of people.

I am either outside doing stuff or sitting in front of the puter. GF watches a little, mostly PBS stuff.

I was just funnin ya. But there is a few shows that "barter" for everything. One in maine with the funny accents and another that tries to start with a bartedered item and trade "up" for the most value...not sure how the Government support groups feel about this as there is no sales TAX being collected....

I was just funnin ya. But there is a few shows that "barter" for everything. One in maine with the funny accents and another that tries to start with a bartedered item and trade "up" for the most value...not sure how the Government support groups feel about this as there is no sales TAX being collected....

Oh shoot, didn't know that! Like I said, not much TV...cowboy and action movies with the DVD player mostly. Those vids you see five on a disc for two bucks in the bargain bin....Still about 30-40 movies behind, that's more a winter enjoying the woodstove hibernation deal for me.

Anyway, them skunks, they done stoled my ideer for a reality show/s! where's me a mean lawyer....

So, what was the best barter/tradeup deal? I have thought I could proly work from a pushmower to a running vehicle, but ain't tried that yet either.

Anywho, I had forgotten, but I did trade the firewood once last winter, shortbed 1/2 ton level load of oddballs/shorts/longs and uglies, but all good wood, hickory and oak mostly, for two saws. One runs fine, the other I put in the "to be checked out when I feel like it" pile.

Gday , Gents
When I put a full load on my ute it measures 1780 x 1760x,900 equating to around 2,6 cubic metres, of wood the load stacked tight , little gap between , and usually weighs one and a half tonnes
I get $150.00 per load
The wood usually dry burn now Aussie hard wood Stringgy bark or white river gum folks are stoked with the quality and amount
My questions How many metric tonne do I have on measured and am I selling it too cheap?
also how does my load equate to a chord ?

Gday , Gents
When I put a full load on my ute it measures 1780 x 1760x,900 equating to around 2,6 cubic metres, of wood the load stacked tight , little gap between , and usually weighs one and a half tonnes
I get $150.00 per load
The wood usually dry burn now Aussie hard wood Stringgy bark or white river gum folks are stoked with the quality and amount
My questions How many metric tonne do I have on measured and am I selling it too cheap?
i don't know the tonnage, especially metric.:laugh: buuuut...... RAISE THE PRICE. :clap::)

I went up from 220 a cord to 280 this year, and i'm already almost sold out. Other sellers are still selling there cords for 180.
I'm 100 dollars more then the competition yet they still have wood I'm almost sold out.
Why, because I dont sell wood until it cured, Others are selling green wood,
Quality and honesty goes a long way.

Gday , Gents
I get $150.00 per load
1 cord = 3.6 cubic meters so your 2.6 equates to a per cord price of about US$180 at current exchange rates. Further, you'd need to compare the dry density or heat energy of different species to work out a more accurate comparison.

If it cold and they want wood, I'm gonna make them pay for it or they can drive away.
I tried to be the nice guy and keep prices down, but screw it, everyone is charging me more for everything so I am to.
Guy called me today and wanted a cord for 180 like some of the others are charging, I flat told him I'm sorry but take of leave it.
He took it. He was just trying to get a bargain, and I told him if you want it that bad go cut your own wood.
Some just want something for nothing. Screw them. No one is giving me any breaks so what goes around comes around.
Come to find out this guy was living in a friking mansion. If I had known that I would have charged him even more.
I'm sure he aint cuttin any of his clients a break.
I'm sick and tired of people trying to take advantage of others when they can well afford to pay the price.
I bet his wife wears shoes that cost more then that cord of wood. let see how much heat he gets out of those shoes.
Screw them, make them pay. I'll let every stick of wood I have sit and rot before i give it away.

If it cold and they want wood, I'm gonna make them pay for it or they can drive away.
I tried to be the nice guy and keep prices down, but screw it, everyone is charging me more for everything so I am to.
Guy called me today and wanted a cord for 180 like some of the others are charging, I flat told him I'm sorry but take of leave it.
He took it. He was just trying to get a bargain, and I told him if you want it that bad go cut your own wood.
Some just want something for nothing. Screw them. No one is giving me any breaks so what goes around comes around.
Come to find out this guy was living in a friking mansion. If I had known that I would have charged him even more.
I'm sure he aint cuttin any of his clients a break.
I'm sick and tired of people trying to take advantage of others when they can well afford to pay the price.
I bet his wife wears shoes that cost more then that cord of wood. let see how much heat he gets out of those shoes.
Screw them, make them pay. I'll let every stick of wood I have sit and rot before i give it away.
You know, your post encapsulates much of what I find so bloody wrong with the world these days. Respect for others willingness and right to earn a living means so little for so many people these days they try to screw others down to nothing or take every immoral advantage they can get, even when they have no need to. They just have nothing but a want or lust for advantage-seeking.

Like you said, I'd rather give the wood to the genuinely needy or let it rot than be screwed by people who demonstrate so little respect for others.

The tragedy for me personally is that I find myself trying to judge people I deal with on a scale of how sincere they are or how much they are likely to try ripping me off simply because I may let them do so. That really saddens me, to know that I can't take as many people as I used to at face value and have to be on my guard so often.

What kind of farked up society are we leaving for our kids and their kids if we don't value basic respect enough to arrest moral decay? Where does it end?

I tried to be fair to everyone no mater there income and set my prices just below everyone else prices. Didn't mater if you were rich or poor, I still give away free wood to some benefit cook offs to help with fund raising for the needy. I will still do that. But I have discovered the more money someone has, the deeper the discount they want.
Where is my discount? The value of my time and labor is just as valuable as theirs, Just because I don't need to be a rocket scientist to make firewood doesn't mean my time and labor is any less valuable.
The reason these lazy fat asses cant or wont do a honest hard days labor, doesn't mean they can take advantage of me and my family.
You want to stay warm, Pay the price.

:pWhat the F. First we have a Joysey accent, than a Maine, now we have a Aussi. I'm changing channels

that crazy Mainewoods guy says us Jersey Boys got an accent....lets go ask one a dem Southern Y'all and Ma'am dudes whos really got the accent ?
fugggettabout dem Aussies they got dare own dern langage (no less an accent)

GO SAWKS !!!!

I tried to be fair to everyone no mater there income and set my prices just below everyone else prices. Didn't mater if you were rich or poor, I still give away free wood to some benefit cook offs to help with fund raising for the needy. I will still do that. But I have discovered the more money someone has, the deeper the discount they want.
Where is my discount? The value of my time and labor is just as valuable as theirs, Just because I don't need to be a rocket scientist to make firewood doesn't mean my time and labor is any less valuable.
The reason these lazy fat asses cant or wont do a honest hard days labor, doesn't mean they can take advantage of me and my family.
You want to stay warm, Pay the price.
Maybe the reason they have 'more money' is that their not afraid to ask for a deal... You'd be surprised how many times people say yes.

Latest posts

Back