should i raise the price?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe the reason they have 'more money' is that their not afraid to ask for a deal... You'd be surprised how many times people say yes.
We will see when all the seasoned wood is gone. I think its going to get real cold like last year. I would not sell all my wood cheap just yet. You can raise the price and bring it down if people complain and shy away anyway , so no big deal.

Maybe the reason they have 'more money' is that their not afraid to ask for a deal... You'd be surprised how many times people say yes.
I do ask if thats there lowest price and they all say the same thing, they say my cost wet up so your cost goes up.
So I'm just doing the same as they are. They give me no breaks on price so I return the favor.
I have to pass along my production cost to them just like they do to me.

that crazy Mainewoods guy says us Jersey Boys got an accent....lets go ask one a dem Southern Y'all and Ma'am dudes whos really got the accent ?
fugggettabout dem Aussies they got dare own dern langage (no less an accent)

GO SAWKS !!!!

Bless yore little heart!

"Growing up Southern is a privilege, really. It's more than where you're born - it's an idea, a state of mind that seems imparted at birth. It's more than loving fried chicken, high school football, and country music. It's being hospitable, being devoted to porches & sweet tea, and each other. We don't become Southern - we're born that way."

Steve, what's does your gut instinct tell ya...if you have a quality product rise the price if it does't sell now it probably will later in the season. Just think of it as money in the bank , the drier it gets the more you can charge.

I dont have a problem helping folks that need help. We have all been there at one time or other. I dont know about anybody here, but I wasnt born with a golden spoon in my mouth. We all have had to work to get where we're at and have what we have. I have gave wood to folks during power outages, let them borrow KeroHeaters and even fuel to put in them. Some folks just aint as prepared for emergencies as they should be. The pay it forward movement has sort of gave me another outlook at giving. Now if someone needs something, I just tell them the next time they see someone in need, to remember this moment and help those folks out if they can. I suspect some will and some wont, but i dont let it worry me anymore. If one person I help will help one more because I helped them, I suspect they would help others also. I dont look at it as being beat out of something or being took advantage of.

""Growing up Southern is a privilege, really. It's more than where you're born - it's an idea, a state of mind that seems imparted at birth. It's more than loving fried chicken, high school football, and country music. It's being hospitable, being devoted to porches & sweet tea, and each other. We don't become Southern - we're born that way.""

SHUCKS. BASED ON THEM TV SHOWS, I PLUM JUST THOUGHT YINZ WERE ALL "SANG" POACHERS. :)

""Growing up Southern is a privilege, really. It's more than where you're born - it's an idea, a state of mind that seems imparted at birth. It's more than loving fried chicken, high school football, and country music. It's being hospitable, being devoted to porches & sweet tea, and each other. We don't become Southern - we're born that way.""

SHUCKS. BASED ON THEM TV SHOWS, I PLUM JUST THOUGHT YINZ WERE ALL "SANG" POACHERS. :)

I have yet to see any wild. I did get a few live roots before and tried growing them, no dice.

I dont have a problem helping folks that need help. We have all been there at one time or other. I dont know about anybody here, but I wasnt born with a golden spoon in my mouth. We all have had to work to get where we're at and have what we have. I have gave wood to folks during power outages, let them borrow KeroHeaters and even fuel to put in them. Some folks just aint as prepared for emergencies as they should be. The pay it forward movement has sort of gave me another outlook at giving. Now if someone needs something, I just tell them the next time they see someone in need, to remember this moment and help those folks out if they can. I suspect some will and some wont, but i dont let it worry me anymore. If one person I help will help one more because I helped them, I suspect they would help others also. I dont look at it as being beat out of something or being took advantage of.

That's a nice thought but reality is much different.
First off no one is giving me any breaks on anything. I have to pay full price for everything just like everyone else.
When I have made exceptions, these people never come back. They ask for a discount, take the wood and disappear, never to be seen again.
They drive up and see lots of wood and just assume that I am making a killing selling wood.
They don't understand that I spent lots of money and my time working up all that firewood.
They don't seem to understand that my profit margin is very low with selling firewood, so asking for a discount means that I have to basically give them the wood for my cost and that kills any profit I may have made.
Every one has a sad story, but some will drive up in a brand new truck and still clam there poor, and want a discount. lol
I am also a poor man, you don't get rich selling firewood.
The pay it forward theory, doesn't work for me on my firewood. Like I have said, no one is giving me a break.

That's a nice thought but reality is much different.
First off no one is giving me any breaks on anything. I have to pay full price for everything just like everyone else.
When I have made exceptions, these people never come back. They ask for a discount, take the wood and disappear, never to be seen again.
They drive up and see lots of wood and just assume that I am making a killing selling wood.
They don't understand that I spent lots of money and my time working up all that firewood.
They don't seem to understand that my profit margin is very low with selling firewood, so asking for a discount means that I have to basically give them the wood for my cost and that kills any profit I may have made.
Every one has a sad story, but some will drive up in a brand new truck and still clam there poor, and want a discount. lol
I am also a poor man, you don't get rich selling firewood.
The pay it forward theory, doesn't work for me on my firewood. Like I have said, no one is giving me a break.

Happened to me last winter. Two young guys who were working for the boss doing some repairs came over after work during that wicked polar vortex cold snap. Said they were outta wood, etc. Would give me 20 bucks on friday, payday, if I could front them some wood. I filled the back of a shortbed f150 4x4, lifted, killer wheels etc, nice truck, with good wood, never saw em again. That was closer to 50 bucks worth, too. The kicker is, one of the brothers had actually hit the lottery a few years ago and had paid cash for that truck and his house. They weren't hurting. Now their folks, who I worked with before, baby boom geezers like me, different story, they came over, paid, loaded, thanks, handshake. No one ever asked me for wood until last winter. Could have sold every stick I had, seasoned or near green. Kept most of it, because I ain't dumb and this wood costs me *work* and effort and some scratch. I am years ahead and plan on staying that way.

If it cold and they want wood, I'm gonna make them pay for it or they can drive away.
I tried to be the nice guy and keep prices down, but screw it, everyone is charging me more for everything so I am to.
Guy called me today and wanted a cord for 180 like some of the others are charging, I flat told him I'm sorry but take of leave it.
He took it. He was just trying to get a bargain, and I told him if you want it that bad go cut your own wood.
Some just want something for nothing. Screw them. No one is giving me any breaks so what goes around comes around.
Come to find out this guy was living in a friking mansion. If I had known that I would have charged him even more.
I'm sure he aint cuttin any of his clients a break.
I'm sick and tired of people trying to take advantage of others when they can well afford to pay the price.
I bet his wife wears shoes that cost more then that cord of wood. let see how much heat he gets out of those shoes.
Screw them, make them pay. I'll let every stick of wood I have sit and rot before i give it away.
:clap::clap:

Happened to me last winter. Two young guys who were working for the boss doing some repairs came over after work during that wicked polar vortex cold snap. Said they were outta wood, etc. Would give me 20 bucks on friday, payday, if I could front them some wood. I filled the back of a shortbed f150 4x4, lifted, killer wheels etc, nice truck, with good wood, never saw em again. That was closer to 50 bucks worth, too. The kicker is, one of the brothers had actually hit the lottery a few years ago and had paid cash for that truck and his house. They weren't hurting. Now their folks, who I worked with before, baby boom geezers like me, different story, they came over, paid, loaded, thanks, handshake. No one ever asked me for wood until last winter. Could have sold every stick I had, seasoned or near green. Kept most of it, because I ain't dumb and this wood costs me *work* and effort and some scratch. I am years ahead and plan on staying that way.

The power company doesn't care that I am poor. If I cant pay the bill it gets shut off.
The heating oil company is the same way. Pay your bill or no heating oil.
The gas station down the street doesn't care if I am poor. Pay the price on the pump or you walk.
The grocery store doesn't care if I am poor, pay full price for your food or you go hungry.

So why should I the firewood man, who barley makes anything be the only one giving a discount?
Two things that never change, it gets cold in the winter and hot in the summer.
So why do these people wait till it gets cold then scramble for wood at the last min and then have the nerve to ask for a discount?

The power company doesn't care that I am poor. If I cant pay the bill it gets shut off.
The gas station down the street doesn't care if I am poor. Pay the price on the pump or you walk.
The grocery store doesn't care if I am poor, pay full price for your food or you go hungry.

So why should I the firewood man, who barley makes anything be the only one giving a discount?
So why do these people wait till it gets cold then scramble for wood at the last min and then have the nerve to ask for a discount?

Because they are tards, crooks or both

Raise your price, it's going to be a cold winter. NOAA seasonal forecasts suck. Lots of indicators for another brutal one. Siberian snowfall, warm water in the Gulf of Alaska and E Pacific. Weak El Nino coming on raises concern for ice storms.

The local fireplace and stove dealer said units are selling like crazy and on backorder. After last winter's wicked cold and high nat gas prices, people are flocking towards wood burners. When people realize that "global warming" is a political hoax and with cold winters becoming the norm again, they are going to be looking for anything that burns to stay warm.

You work hard to gather and produce firewood, might as well get a fair price for it.

dead on post.... wanna bet about the cheapskate big house boy,,that wanted a discount??? about his political affiliation???

Latest posts

Back