Should I replace all the "in" boom hydraulic lines while the bundle is out to replace damage?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ApexTreeService

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Have a '94 Altec LB650A, from a visual inspection one of the 1/2" x 61' in boom hoses was "bubbled" on the exterior sheath. My local Altec stated you can't just pull one so they pulled the bundle of ten (2 x 1/2", 8 x 3/8") I believe. Three more 3/8" were damaged inside the boom. They will not splice in the boom according to safety policy. One of the hoses is spliced and it damaged an adjacent hose and leveling rod from rubbing. About half of them are spliced within a foot or so where they stick out the upper boom, must have been hit with a saw or something.

They suggest replacing all 10 of the 61' hoses for $3,000 in materials only since the leveling system will not be replaced again for 8 years. The bill is getting out of hand, but would hate for another hose to go a year down the road.

Anyones experienced opinion would be welcome thanks!

Probably a good idea to do it and you'll never need to do it again. But then again I hate to replace something that doesn't really need replacing. Its really hard to tell without looking at it.

That $3,000
Have a '94 Altec LB650A, from a visual inspection one of the 1/2" x 61' in boom hoses was "bubbled" on the exterior sheath. My local Altec stated you can't just pull one so they pulled the bundle of ten (2 x 1/2", 8 x 3/8") I believe. Three more 3/8" were damaged inside the boom. They will not splice in the boom according to safety policy. One of the hoses is spliced and it damaged an adjacent hose and leveling rod from rubbing. About half of them are spliced within a foot or so where they stick out the upper boom, must have been hit with a saw or something.

They suggest replacing all 10 of the 61' hoses for $3,000 in materials only since the leveling system will not be replaced again for 8 years. The bill is getting out of hand, but would hate for another hose to go a year down the road.

Anyones experienced opinion would be welcome thanks!
is not out of line. These days replacing a hose on one of my machines is $100-200 for a short hose. Go for it. You're gonna be on a beautiful paver driveway when one of those old hoses lets loose.

Back