Show us your chainsaw scars

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan Forsh

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I was sat tonight with friends absentmindedly scratching at a recent scab (which may scar) on my forearm which resulted from being relaxed around the felling dogs of a Makita DCS 9000 and the thought occurrred to me. Just for fun mind you, how about a "show and tell" You Americans do this in school I believe, of chainsaw related scars and the stories behind them. Photos are essential.

I know in advance that there will be some of you professionals who will blow the rest of us out of the water, but just out of interest, I don't think there isn't one of us who hasn't got a scar or two from messing about with these things.

Dan

By the way,

I don't expect any instant answers on this one. Doubtless this will mean people skuttling off to get the digital camera.

However, I won't be accepting any "I slipped over in the bath and fell on to it" stories.

No chainsaw scars as yet. I do have an axe scar. We were 65 km. out of town doing some surveying. Well, it was late in the afternoon and was feeling tired. There was a small log laying horizontally in line of view for the transit, so i went up line with axe and without much thought swung hard at what i thought was the log but had instead buried the axe into my boot (no steel toes). Buddy yells over to say he has some bandaids in the vehicle yeh right. I called him over and showed him how a big toe tendon works up close and personal. I split my foot wide open and was off work for a month. And feet can hurt let me tell you. I am very carefull with axes now, and more so with chainsaws.
Mark

Hell, no chainsaw involved, but that is a good one. Are you sure there were no other "substances" involved though? I've been real tired before now, but I don't think I've ever forgotten what's attached to me.

PPE.. no I don't just mean whilst running a saw. Jesus, we'll be getting photos of severed limbs

None as of yet(knock on wood) some swollen limbs from cutting off limbs with to much pressure though lol live and learn lol

None as of yet(knock on wood) some swollen legs from cutting off limbs with to much pressure though lol live and learn lol

SawTroll said:
Some years ago, I used to cut in just boxer shorts and sneakers in summer, but I don't do that anymore....

A proven cause of "Jock itch"

None yet, but I haven't cut much professionally either. Up until about 2 years ago, I averaged cutting 10 full cords per year. I've never worn PPE, other than gloves, not that I'm condoning or recommending that.

Almost cut the middle finger of my left hand off, trimming off the long sticks on a load of pulp wood....kick back with the saw over my head, old days no chain brake....... Show that scar to every one!!!
Sharpning a saw onetime and it fell on my wrist...looked like I was trying to end it all.
Had a chain break on a 28" bar...old days, no chain catch....chain whipped around &almost cut my balls...chain tracks on my inner thigh, real close....fastest I've ever pulled my pants down!!!
Lots of nicks & cuts on fingers from over zealous sharpening & lots of ruined boots, but no cut toes!!
34 years with a saw in my hands..pretty good I think!!
Falling trees & branches are what will kill & maim ya. not a few scratches from your saw!!!

Sectioned some trees into 7-8' lengths, decided, since it was on a steep slope, to raise them up and shove them end-over-end downhill, which worked great and saved me tons of labor until one of them caught on an overhead branch [moron] and flipped back at me after I'd turned around to get the next one. Hit me on the temple, knocked me out cold and left my skull showing thru the cut. Came to, hiked down the hill to my truck, put my jacket across my lap to catch the blood, drove to the clinic [luckily only maybe 7 miles] and got a bunch of stitches so there's a scar on my face. There was, for some time, also an incredible headache.

One of several over the years:

I was clearing vine maple branches to I could get to the trunks (very long springy branches - nasty stuff to cut). The branch sprang up, ripping my helmet system off, poked in my ear and ripped the lobe cartilage... I was lying on the ground not quite with it, saw running, and a bunch of people looking down at me. Blood all over my neck.. Looked 100x worse than it was, but could easily have been worse than it looked.

Last edited:
Very interesting and refreshing thread!

Glad to see that many people here have *never* been injured by a chainsaw. (I have not either.)

Of course this is a no brainer. Most people here are very safety conscious and recommend the use of PPE (Personal Protective Equipment).

And I probably have not been injured because I have read the good advice on this forum along with reading books, etc. recommended by people here (Thanks everyone!)

I think one of the things I have seen here which really sticks in my mind while using a chainsaw is the kickback video posted here. I keep thinking about how fast this can happen, so I go to all ends to avoid a kickback.

Kickback video…
http://www.arboristsite.com/attachment_28268.php

Stupid Me!

I have a picture of a small scar that does not look like much now, but did when it happened. It was a kick back cut when I was notching a stump. It took two layers of stitches and put me out of work for 3 weeks. I wear chaps all the time now! I also had some time off when took a fall wearing my climbing spurs and stuck one in my leg (long redwood spikes).

To Ichwarrior, the truck was only maybe fifty-sixty yards down a steep hillside, not too bad. Only thing, couple yr. later I cut my hand open, bad, stripping some Romex. Went back to the same clinic, and while waiting in the room to be sewn up, I heard a nurse say out in the hall, "We've got Paul Bunyon back in there, cut up his hand this time." [laughter]

30 years and only one small nick from a running saw (lots from handling saws and sharping chains). One handing a top handle up in an apple tree doing some pruning. Just scraped my left thumb. The 'scrape vice a cut' may be due to my outstanding saw maintenance, the chain was dull:D . Lots of scrapes, open cuts, buises from handling firewood, cutting/splitting/stacking, piling brush, etc. Both my legs are ugly messes from knees down due to that. I should wear chaps or at least shin gaurds while running the splitter at least, that is where most of my owies on the legs occur.

Harry K

Latest posts

Back