Show us your chainsaw scars

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heres another axe story. I have a nice collection of axes and hatchets. I have some of them hanging in my work shop. Some of my double bits were hanging by two nails supporting the head. I have an electrical plug in outlet behind a group of them and one hot day I decided to plug in a fan. As I did my shoulder pushed one of them off of the nails. There was a shoulder high cabinet right under it and it landed just right on the handle for the head to kick up. It hit me on the right side of my throat. I didn't realize what had happened. It felt like someone slapped me in the throat. I looked down and seen the front of my shirt was red with blood. I went over to my sink that has a mirror hanging above it and I had about a 5" gash in my throat. It was gaped open a inch wide. I grabbed a wad of paper towels.and put pressure on it. I live way out in the sticks and was home by myself. My wife was on her way home from work and I called her on her cell phone and told her to get here fast that I had just cut my throat. After a good laugh she said she hadn't realized I was so unhappy with life. I told her I wasn't joking to get home fast. To make a long story short. It took 37 stitches and the Doc said if it was a 1/2" over it would have got the juggler and I no doubt would have bled to death. It was also close to getting into my voice box. He said it was my lucky day and I said, yeah right. The Doc at first didn't believe my story. He kept on saying it looked like someone had tried to cut my throat and kept looking at my wife kind of funny. It healed up real good. I do have a faint scar, but it's not worth posting a picture of. It was Hell shaving for a week or two. My axes are no longer hanging.

Here ya go:
1991 42 stitches outside 8 inside(no pain)outta work 2 weeks
View attachment 39521

1994 37 stitches outside 16 inside and scraped kneecap(Vry painful and hard to walk)outta work 3 days
View attachment 39522

1998 roll of duct tape and a napkin(almost painful)finished 40+palms that day
View attachment 39523

Ive got some from when i got zapped and fell but that will be another thread and a haircut.

I havent had one yet, other than cuts while sharpening chains.

Worst I saw was my grandfather. We usually cut and split every weekend when I was younger. I got to swing the wedge and sledge. Watched my grandfather come through a log faster than he anticipated, and had the saw come out and bite him in the knee. Only thing that saved his leg from the knee down was his kneecap.

27 years ago almost to the day, was working as a logger for a pulpwood company. I felled a few pines and was walking down the log trimming off branches. Got to the end and as I was stepping and sawing at the same time (I know... stupid rookie dumba$$ move) I tripped and instinctively put my other foot forward to keep me from falling, but that put my boot right into the path of the end of the saw which I had just finished cutting a branch with and was still running and chain moving. The saw entered the side of my foot 1/8 inch behind the steel toe, and severed my toe about halfway through, but above the bone, only hit tendons and meat. Off work for 2 months, they gave me a 15% disability check because I couln't lift my toe all the way up after they reattached everything. Left a big crowsfoot scar, but no I'm not inclined to post any pics of that. Havn't had a chainsaw injury in the 27 years since then, although I only worked as a logger for 4 years. Last 15 years I've been in the woods with my saws though, lately every other weekend if not more.

"Very Interesting" S. Freud

Dan Forsh said:
Just for fun mind you, how about a "show and tell" You Americans do this in school I believe, of chainsaw related scars and the stories behind them. Photos are essential.Dan

Now look here, just cause you Brits need some excitement from the colonies, doesn't mean we have to show and tell. :buttkick:
It do sound like , shall we say, "saw ????" ?? :spam:
Besides if I showed you my scars, I would need your exact location in order to remove you from further bother. :rock: It is on the order of need to know.
These North American scars are not for your pub chatties. :popcorn:

To be honest I was watching something on TV that had a clip of "Jaws" in it and I remembered the "who's got the best shark scar" scene.

If you just don't want to show, I suggest you continue to play dead.

Die dulci fruere

Done

Dan Forsh said:
To be honest I was watching something on TV that had a clip of "Jaws" in it and I remembered the "who's got the best shark scar" scene.

If you just don't want to show, I suggest you continue to play dead.

Die dulci fruere

I'm dead.....and so is Guy Fawkes:pumpkin2: :pumpkin2:

Godd Latin BTW :biggrinbounce2:

OK, NO saw scars, so there. Went to CPL/Game of Logging Chainsaw School to avoid getting bitten, It works along with PPE and careful planning. I'll save the macho stuff for other pastimes. Some other scars however that you don't have a need to know.:bang:

Ok, no saw scars, but a story. I have an uncle that was running a clearing bow about 15 years ago. Don't know exactly what happened because he never would tell, but he was alone and somehow cut through two limbs. One of these limbs happened to be his left leg. After seeing the stitches, I can't imagine how he didn't bleed out. It was a diagonal cut midway on the inside of his left thigh! Over 200 stitches inside and out if I remeber right.

Latest posts

Back