Sickly King Palm

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 6919

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hello, I wonder if anyone has any advice to offer for a sickly king palm. I have several kings in my landscape, and all but one are doing well. The sickly palm is closest to the house and at this time of year has very little time in direct sun due to the shade of our home. It was doing great all last year, but this winter I noticed it losing leaves. I checked the aerator and noticed that there is water at the bottom so I'm praying that I don't have root rot. The sprinklers are totally off for this tree and have been for a month but the water is still there. Today it's raining to make matters worse. Is there a way to prevent further damage if rotting is the case? Someone suggested a product by 'safer' called oxygen plus. It also could be temperature related as we've had unusually cold nights to the mid 30's this winter. My palm would really appreciate any advice anyone has. Thanks! Christina

Yes, but I'll have to get back to you in a couple days as I'm not at home currently. I may even have a summer photo for a comparison. Thank you

Here are some photos of the king palm. I hope these are helpful. Again, thank you for any advice.

that is strange. I'm not a tree expert, but there are a few guys on here from south florida that may be able to help with your palm. I was hoping that it would be some sort of defficiency, but it doesn't seem so now that I've seen the pics. Don't know if palms can even get root rot:confused:

I was actually surprised too, since I was under the impression that it was impossible to overwater a palm. I was always told that palms love water and most people underwater them.

It could also be that it isn't happy with the unusually cold temperatures we've been having this winter. It's not normal for San Diego to get into the 30's at night.

Maybe I'm worrying for nothing and it will rally once the spring sunshine warms everything up.

cnswift said:
Maybe I'm worrying for nothing and it will rally once the spring sunshine warms everything up.

You may be? If it were in my yard I'd probibly lop the really brown frond off and leave the other (just so that the tree can actually make energy for itself) and throw some fertilizer on it with lots of manganese and magnesium mixed in (a palmtree favorite).

Latest posts

Back