Silky Zubat replacement

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NebClimber

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I own a Silky Zubat handsaw. How often do you guys replace the saw on this thing?

What do you do to maintain it?

On another note, I recently bought a split-tail ("16-strand High-Vee") from Sherrill. I use it with my True Blue climbing line. The two ropes don't seem to want to mesh with each other very well. Do I need to somehow break in the split-tail? If so, how? Or are certain rope types simply not compatable?

Steven

Steven, the blade replacement for handsaws will vary a lot from person to person. I change mine about every 3-5 months. But I hate using chainsaws, so the Zubat cuts a lot of "larger" branches. MasterBlaster will probably change his blade in 2007:p

Make sure you don't push too hard when you cut. As it says in the "instructions" with the Zubat...let the saw do the work.

And the split tail, you're right. Some combinations of ropes don't go well together. I would guess that Hi-Vee and True Blue would go well together. Sometimes it does take a short break in period(like a couple times up in a tree). Are you using a Blakes Hitch?

I say you ditch that split tail and try the Distel.

love
nick

I have been doing alot of prunning lately in Ash trees. I use the silky for up to about 3'' material. Only getting about a week out of it. But this non stop all day climbingand lots of deadwood. During regular work I would get about a month.

Originally posted by tjk
I use the silky for up to about 3'' material. Only getting about a week out of it.

ONE week?

Might I suggest;
m142s001p.jpg

Why drag around a 10# say when you can use a 3/4# one that does not stink and make nasy noises?

I leave the 020 on the ground quite a bit, cant say I miss it much.

I found a very thin (about 3/8") fine grained wheel to go on the bench grinder, and it works well for sharpening the zubat. I'd always done my fannos by hand, but you need a wheel on the harder alloys.

Back in the middle ages, when climbers still used split tails, they found that hi-vee didn't work all that well in general, compared to blue streak and others.:D

I've replaced mine once during the coarse of 9 months. I agree with Dan and MB, not only would sawing 3in limbs with a silky make your arm hurt, it's flat out a waste of time.

MasterB.,

I use a Fanno and I can get 2-3 months out of one just fine. I dont understand buying a $60 saw that takes a $36 replacement blade. For the same $100, I can buy a FI-1311, scab, and 4 new blades.

And I too agree w/ 3" limbs. Thats what chainsaws are for.

Nebclimber: As for the split tail, your problem may be in combining rope brands and sizes. True blue is 12 strand vs. the hi-v being 16. Id buy a 16 strand climbing line and try it again. On your new line, go w/ the hi-v. I think it will solve your problems.

A blade a week?! Are you breaking them? I used my Gomtaro for several months. When I started my latest orchard project the fine edge was gone-it was still cutting about as well as a new Corona but I could tell that performance was dropping:) . On about Apple # 120 or so I broke one tooth off the tip. On tree 200 or there abouts I shelled a tooth In the middle of the blade.On about number 260 I broke an inch of the tip. My Sherrill order showed up the next day and I replaced the blade on tree 286. So I got an entire Summer and Fall out of my Gomtaro plus 285 Semi-dwarf Apple trees. Lots of 3" cuts included. I prefer to chainsaw 3" cuts when they come in groups but when there is one or two on the whole tree It is faster and easier to Silky them and you make a much cleaner/smoother cut.

Okie, There is the reason to spend so much on a handsaw-after hundreds of cuts its performance dropped to the level of the second best saw's new performance. I like Coronas -they are great saws. -significantly better than traditional 'set-teeth' saws. The Silky's just flat cut better. They are also more fragile(I've never bent or broken a Corona handsaw blade.) I haven't ever used a Fanno razortooth but I'm told that they are comparable to Corona but slightly less durable.

Nick recommends I ditch the split tail and use a Distel.

Another post states "back in the day when people were still using split-tails . . . . "

What is a Distel. I tried to find an example on the web, but couldn't.

Could you please point me in the right direction?

By the way, which dymanic climbing system is best? I might as well jump right to whatever is state of the art instead of working my way through different systems for no reason.

Thanks,

Steven

Originally posted by okietreedude1

I use a Fanno and I can get 2-3 months out of one just fine. I dont understand buying a $60 saw that takes a $36 replacement blade. For the same $100, I can buy a FI-1311, scab, and 4 new blades.

I went to Fanno because I liked the handle better than the Corona, but the Corona's blade stays sharper longer.

I am still forming an opinion about my Zubat. Its considerably more expensive, but if it stays sharper longer it will be worth it to me.

I agree about the repetative potential for injury, not feeling it yet except for my right wrist. I've tried using the power saw more but that seem like more work. The trees on this contract are only 12" to 25" DBH. They need lots of raising out on limbs and operating a saw seems more difficult. These trees suck!!, Ash I hatem.

Steven, try finding the Distel here, instead of a web search. RockyJ. has posted a pic of the Distel, c/o Sergio, a few times for newbies. Any question(s) you may have are usually answered by doing a search.
TreeCo aint lying about potential elbow trouble in over-using a hand saw. I've had a case of 'tennis elbow' for about three months now that I attribute to using a hand saw too often.

how to tie distel

Look in the 2003 Sherrill catelog on page 24. There is a pic of the distel.

Im not sure if youd find the pic on thier website or knot.

I just replaced my Zubat blade. The old one was many months old and still worked, but was too slow. But I use pole saws a lot, what with all the huge trees we do, both Zubat pole, Hayauchi, and Jameson. Plus lots of removals. I also use a Natanoko and Prosenthei, plus plan on getting a Masuru, and maybe an Ibuki. So blades last longer for me. Silkys are pricey, but cut smoother and a bit faster than Corona, and last longer. Fanno brings up the rear in edge hold and cut speed. Corona handle is the best for power, due to the hook, but the hook is easy to catch on stuff.

FBerkel, I'm interested in the wheel you are using, even though I know that an impulse hardened blade like Silky and Corona will dull quickly after resharpening. Any tips on locating one would be helpful.

Back