Silvey Grinders may be going out of business.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To Hell with your collection.

I am about fed up with all you men hoarding and driving up prices on valuable tools that a working man desires.

Why do I assume your a weekend warrior? Cause you have all your badass saws listed in each post!
Definitely a pro.......

"awesome"

To Hell with your collection.

I am about fed up with all you men hoarding and driving up prices on valuable tools that a working man desires.

Why do I assume your a weekend warrior? Cause you have all your badass saws listed in each post!
Definitely a pro.......

So because one only heats their home, and enjoys using good Grinders and saws, he is doing you, a "working man", an injustice by buying them? :laugh:

Maybe you should had bought a new one from silvey when u had the chance.....

I love my RSII, BTW. :)

Last edited:
Apparently all those collectors did not drive of the price enough to keep Silvey in business, nor did the supposed working man.

Best wishes to business owners, tough call to make. Hope they do well after.

Do you guys think pacific abrasives will keep maunfacturing the wheels for these grinders?

Pacific Abrasive makes a wide range of products and is a big, big company. I think we're good on that end for a long time.

Apparently all those collectors did not drive of the price enough to keep Silvey in business, nor did the supposed working man.

Best wishes to business owners, tough call to make. Hope they do well after.

It was the son mostly running the business along with some other family members. They're a smart bunch and will be fine, whatever happens. The son is a real go-getter.

It would take a revelation of the current owner's contact information? All you get is a recording with no response.

Yeah there's been a recording on there since before Christmas.

Ted there's one listed in the trading post right now. There's probably still some out west at the big shops if I was guessing.

Yeah there's been a recording on there since before Christmas.

Ted there's one listed in the trading post right now. There's probably still some out west at the big shops if I was guessing.

There's lots of grinders out here in circulation. During the heyday, Silvey was churning those things out as fast as they could make them.

As I've posted on the jacks before, one real good way to find cheap grinders is to hit the mills. Many of the mills here have equipment in
storage that they'd gladly get rid of. All you have to do is ask around. There's also many retiring or retired log cutters that have equipment
to sell. Post a wanted ad on Craigslist and you'll get 20-30 calls for grinders in the span of 2/3/4/5 days.

It doesn't take much in the way of smarts to find this stuff and people who complain about it simply aren't trying (because they're too busy complaining.)

There's lots of grinders out here in circulation. During the heyday, Silvey was churning those things out as fast as they could make them.

As I've posted on the jacks before, one real good way to find cheap grinders is to hit the mills. Many of the mills here have equipment in
storage that they'd gladly get rid of. All you have to do is ask around. There's also many retiring or retired log cutters that have equipment
to sell. Post a wanted ad on Craigslist and you'll get 20-30 calls for grinders in the span of 2/3/4/5 days.

It doesn't take much in the way of smarts to find this stuff and people who complain about it simply aren't trying (because they're too busy complaining.)

mine came out of the old crown z shop in tillimook. works just fine. like jj said they are everywhere. know where there are a dozen of diff makes with in a 10 -15 mile radius.

It will not be long before we are sharpening our chains with a right angle disk grinder and shaping the wheel on big rock

[video=youtube;aVPyV336Fnc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVPyV336Fnc[/video]

I believe over-seas manufacturing is not to blame here... it's users of this product. We didn't buy enough of them to keep them busy.

I agree. If the Chinese made square grinders I'd agree but in this case they can hardly be blamed. Maybe it was that ATOP square filing jig thingy that put them out of business? ;)

I'd like to see that. Did they profile the wheel similar to the way that the Silvey wheels are?

Philbert

That was told to me by a 3rd gen faller. He said his dad would use a bench grinder to sharpen bits. Apparently just a regular wheel with a flat surface with a 90 degree angle so I guess not. Seems like it would be hard to hold on to the bit while sharpening it though.

It's a small niche market and demand doesn't have to fall much before things dry up. What could have saved a company like this is diversity in their product line. They made more than half a dozen products that did the same thing, and not much else. If they offered more products that had low manufacturing costs that people needs in perpetuity, they'd have had a constant of repeat business.
Another unfortunate thing is that the quality of the products was also part of their demise, which is too bad. How many guys here have a silvey older than 10 years? 20? 30? You buy this machine and it lasts indefinitely if taken care of, and it's sad that quality can contribute to your demise... That said, Id still like to get my hands on one.

It seems like simington is doing work still. I didn't know they had a website now. At least there is another option now for new grinders.

Always wondered how guys like Treeslingr put that crazy "beak" in the side plate?

Seems you would need to run it threw twice, of is it all in the wheel dressing?

If you're getting a beak on some chains you're a little low with the corner. A beak low is better than being too high in the top plate.

That was told to me by a 3rd gen faller. He said his dad would use a bench grinder to sharpen bits. Apparently just a regular wheel with a flat surface with a 90 degree angle so I guess not. Seems like it would be hard to hold on to the bit while sharpening it though.

People do amazing things. Like that video where the guy in the Philippines free-hand slabs really flat boards with a STIHL 090; guys who built furniture with hand tools that I can't replicate with all types of machines; etc. Today we have kids that can't make popcorn without a microwave.

I was thinking that with a properly dressed wheel, and quite a bit of skill and experience, a guy might get an acceptably performing chain hand holding it against a bench grinder, even if not technically 'perfect'. Hmmmmm . . . might lead to a new grinder design?

Philbert

Back