Silvey Grinders may be going out of business.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have used and owned both Silvey & Simington swingarm grinders. The later model Simingtons (451 b&c) have superior adjustments. I sold the Silvey. Still have two Simington's.
You may be on to something because I just talked with a guy yesterday who owns a tree company and he was selling an older Silvey Razur Sharp II. He told me he was selling it because he never uses it because he has an older Simington swingarm that he has had for like 20-years and he likes it better. I am hoping to pick up a used (the guy said he used it two times) Simington 451 C grinder for $825 today or tomorrow. I can not wait to start playing around with it.

As of yesterday it was. He wants $600 and won't go lower. I won't spend that on a grinder that is probably 20-years old and is not even made anymore. Realisticly it is probably a $400 grinder.
If they are in good/lightly used shape $600 is a great deal. New simington's are $1200. People worry about parts but most the consumables are just machined steel parts that Shaun makes now. So unless your electric motor fails (unlikely) you'll be in good shape for a long time. I also checked with my local electrical shop and showed them the motor and they said (even being very conservative) $225 is the most it should ever cost to rewind a motor and $150 was more realistic.

Well that is a matter of perspective

Silvey's have more adjustability without disassembly and I like that about them. If you aren't aligned with a simington you have to shim the motor.

Either way a $600 grinder is cheap for square grind. Especially if you want to use square to do all your cutting.

If they are in good/lightly used shape $600 is a great deal. New simington's are $1200. People worry about parts but most the consumables are just machined steel parts that Shaun makes now. So unless your electric motor fails (unlikely) you'll be in good shape for a long time. I also checked with my local electrical shop and showed them the motor and they said (even being very conservative) $225 is the most it should ever cost to rewind a motor and $150 was more realistic.
Good to know.

As of yesterday it was. He wants $600 and won't go lower. I won't spend that on a grinder that is probably 20-years old and is not even made anymore. Realisticly it is probably a $400 grinder.

Well if it is still for sale I am interested simply put.....................

I am working on a mod to convert the cheap Tecomec style clones to a Silvey style pawl system. The cheesy cam will go away and a right and left pawl will be installed. The only thing is it will not be reversible.

I am working on a mod to convert the cheap Tecomec style clones to a Silvey style pawl system. The cheesy cam will go away and a right and left pawl will be installed. The only thing is it will not be reversible.

Sounds like a good plan. My understanding is that the square grinders need to grind into the tooth. Using and Oregon 511AX type grinder you can not do that as you stated. I think that the MAXX grinders used to be able to run the wheel both ways. I also remember there were some diagrams out there showing how to make the Oregon type grinders reversible. Good luck.

Well if it is still for sale I am interested simply put.....................
It is on Portland, Oregon Craigslist right now with three pictures. Call the guy up and see if he can ship it and if he will take a non in person payment.???? Me personally I am willing to spend another $400 and get a brand new, still in production Simington 451C grinder.

The Silvey chain stop pawl system on the 300/500/510 grinders where really nicely done. Non reversible, that can be fixed.

Sounds like a good plan. My understanding is that the square grinders need to grind into the tooth. Using and Oregon 511AX type grinder you can not do that as you stated. I think that the MAXX grinders used to be able to run the wheel both ways. I also remember there were some diagrams out there showing how to make the Oregon type grinders reversible. Good luck.

I did a thread many years back on making a NT grinder reversing. They are most likely a 3 wire motor so you have to dig into the winding to find where they connected the neutrals together and bring them out separately. This way you can reverse the polarity on the starting winding using a Dual Pole Dual Terminal switch.
reverse.jpg

Simington sells an add on gizmo for grinding rakers. It replaces the chain holder. It is pretty slick.

Does anybody have further information on this device? I don't see anything on their website, nor have I seen pics of one anywhere. I'm specifically wondering if something similar can be adapted to the R2.

I am working on a mod to convert the cheap Tecomec style clones to a Silvey style pawl system.

You probably should clarify that this will still be for round ground chains - not for square ground chains. Some guys don't realize that Silvey made both.

I think that the MAXX grinders used to be able to run the wheel both ways.
I don't think that the MAXX motor is reversible, but it has additional head range of motion, that allows you to grind both R and L cutters inside-out or outside-in.

"The Italian-made MAXX grinder allows bi-directional grinding because it's designed with a head that tilts left and right (90 degrees to 50 degrees) and a table that's fully symmetrical. Unlike other grinders, this unique design allows you to get the same results on both left and right hand cutters"

Changeover to other side of chain starts at about 1:26 in this video:

Great idea. Mixed reviews from AS members over the years about the quality.

Philbert

You probably should clarify that this will still be for round ground chains - not for square ground chains. Some guys don't realize that Silvey made both.Philbert

OK, the mod will try to imitate the pawl system of the Silvey 510. Ya know, this one:

210y5jb.jpg

The pawls on a Silvey 510 are great. The angle in the corner grabs the back of the cutter and with a little pressure forces the front of the cutter down. All you have to do is slide the chain forward to the next cutter and pull back. It's ingenious.

The pawls on a Silvey 510 are great. The angle in the corner grabs the back of the cutter and with a little pressure forces the front of the cutter down. All you have to do is slide the chain forward to the next cutter and pull back. It's ingenious.

You sir have it in a nutshell.:clap: A totally opposite approach of all the others trying to clamp from the driver which then moves the cutter. The utter simplicity of this approach is great.:rock:

You sir have it in a nutshell.:clap: A totally opposite approach of all the others trying to clamp from the driver which then moves the cutter. The utter simplicity of this approach is great.:rock:

Well a round grinder square grinding chain?????????????????? I wish you the best and hats off you

Back