Simonized saws.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:dizzy:
Part of that 50 to 1 rating is to pass emissions not necessarily what is best for the saw. According to a local Stihl dealer, the saws are set so lean at the factory that the dealers must richen them, or they will blow up.

I too like my Simonized 372 and 385 he did up.

Dave.

Yes thats my understanding about passing emission tests.
Likely all essembled close to where they come in, NY?? and Nova Scotia in CA?? After that they are set back for the consumers 'there AT sea level and the keepers put on.
some dealers don't even have a mechanic!
I've worked alot of places in high altitude MPB (mountain pine beetle) or sanitizing danger trees on seismic lines and many guys are running stock with the keepers still on. I can tell by the saws performance that the Low jet needs to be set back.
and when I attempt to set it back, most always its at max throw. Most don't want me to ajust the throw
or cut them or pull em off....
You cant help those that wont help themselves:dizzy:

Typical stuff here. Same as Mastermind.

Simon is a legend. 50:1 is factory recommendations. Either factory would like to have Brad Snelling or Mastermind or Simon Wright on board, I'm sure. They are sought after by guys who want something different or who haven't already got a hang of being a mechanic.

Some of y'all can get more specific than that?

Westboastfaller runs 50:1 and so do I.
Typical stuff here. Same as Mastermind.

Simon is a legend. 50:1 is factory recommendations. Either factory would like to have Brad Snelling or Mastermind or Simon Wright on board, I'm sure. They are sought after by guys who want something different or who haven't already got a hang of being a mechanic.

Westboastfaller runs 50:1 and so do I.
50:1 may work for a factory saw, I thought after 63 pages you would have noticed that nobody is talking about a factory saw? Ported saws run harder and higher rpm, extra oil will help .

50:1 may work for a factory saw, I thought after 63 pages you would have noticed that nobody is talking about a factory saw? Ported saws run harder and higher rpm, extra oil will help .

Thanks, "cutforfun." I'll read it again. Since modified saws run harder and at a higher RPM, they already get extra oil.

As said, the recommended ratio isn't in the best interest of saw longevity, it is to please the EPA. Also, castrol make oil for stihl not the other way around. Castrol super 2 stroke is stihl ultra only an 1/8th the cost. That's what i run at 32:1 in all my saws for years. I've been using my 372 for 12yrs alot harder then most and the top end is presitine. Went to throw a new piston and rings in and decided to just reuse the original piston cause it was unbelievably minty for the amount of hours that are on it. All those hours using the same castrol oil has made me trust it the most no matter what anyone says.

We'll they had 5 logs and combined cut time with the lowest a winner. Afterward any one could run them and there were a few that stood out that day. Simons wasn't one.

I answered one of your goofy questions now answer mine. Whoa, I see RiverRat just asked it...................

It's Confirmation Bias. That's how y'all decided it was in the middle of the pack when it was top 15%.

I answered one of your goofy questions now answer mine. Whoa, I see RiverRat just asked it...................

It's Confirmation Bias. That's how y'all decided it was in the middle of the pack when it was top 15%.

I got this one, there is first place saw and there is last place saw, every thing else is in the middle of the pack. back to your thoughts on lubrication, please explain you theory a bit more. This should get good and give the new guy an idea of who you are.

"Extra oil will help,

Will help what? get rid a bugs..lmao
No.... the right oil with do the job every time at 50/1
Does anyone care to ask how many cranks that have gone blue or top ends I've cooked at 50/1 on a hot work saw
With Caslol or XP?
I worked Simons saw in 38° C that's approx 107 F in the BC Kootenays (Nelson) doing an oversize contract for Asplundh. She ran like a top.
Definition of oversize in BC is a non certified faller is not permitted to cut a tree over 6" in dia DBH (Dia at breast height) over 6" and greater.Trees MUST have PROPER falling cuts to a standard of 75%
Max DBH was 2'ft but part of the contract was to take everything so some days I ran a 20 bar and had that thing lean
with an 8 tooth.
I never cleaned out the fins and I used I **** gas station brand that was supplied on a fall and burn (MPB)job
In that coming November as well as methelhydrate which I dont like to use as it breaks down the oil. (I will use iso at times).
The irony of it was I tweeked it in 107°F but cooked it at -36°C
-32.8°F... my bad.. Rookieville...lol I certainly wasn't happy about running that **** oil to begin with. ..
I think my block thrower was happy...I was killing him..lol
$40 per tree bucked and burnt.

wow, ok here is some truth. i have several saws over 20 years old and they are still very good saws. i have been a logger all my life and used 40-1 stihl oil only.
stihl, husky and any other 2 stroke engine will last longer with a slightly richer mix than factory spec. its a fact. exact ratio such as 38-1 or 42-1 is just silly and we all know it but 50-1 is a bit lean and we all know that to.......for any saw imo, not just modded.
now brush ape, i am trying to see the value in you but my god it seems like you only like to argue. if you like 50-1 so much then just run it and report back when you think you have 2000 hours on your stuff. and in the mean time let those that like to run richer do so in piece.

Same amount of gas in the tank at same ratio, used faster= more oil/unit of time.

Really? You're back on my IGNORE list. Again.

Double_Facepalm.jpg

AQUOTE="Brush Ape, post: 4819224, member: 120017"]Typical stuff here. Same as Mastermind.

Westboastfaller runs 50:1 and so do I.[/QUOTE]

Sick post! Me likey
I know Don sr. walker told me in '92 to "always use good quality oil and stay away from the gas sation brands"
and there ended lesson #1
I have never heard any expert tell me to ignore the manufacturs spec's and use more.
I seen many saws fail due to carbon build up.
which could be from pluged screens dirty filters or tuned rich
but rich is rich.
Jamie

Thanks, "cutforfun." I'll read it again. Since modified saws run harder and at a higher RPM, they already get extra oil.

Really? And how do you figure that? Higher revs means more gas flow through the carb and leaving out at higher rates than they can oil rod bearings. Built saws need a higher oil to gas ratio than stock saws..this has been proven in 2 stroke race built bike motors over and over...same principle applies to built chainsaw motors. But hey...it's yer saw try 100:1 and get back to us.

Latest posts

Back