Simonized saws.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lol, or someone trying to get a fire going on the landing, catching the jug on fire and tossing it! I saw this happen on glare ice and the large inferno melted the bar lube and fueled the flames! Lol

Simon, saws are duty and customs exempt across the border. I've forgotten the harmonized code#, but in place of that simply put "repair and return" on your declaration.
I met a guy named Daryl on the Taku River on a flyin job, just 50 river miles from Juneau Alaska on the B.C. side who had a 066 you modded. He seemed to be pleased when I asked him about it. That was 3 years ago, but I understand he's back there now felling danger trees.
Stating gains and taking vids is very subjective as no two saws will turn out the same. Some saws are simply ringers right out of the box with nothing more needed than a muffler mod and a squish reduction, like an 066 I built and did really well at a couple of GTG's.
John
Thanks John, nice to hear from you again. Cheers.

Yes, two gallons is about 10L. We have many Heli-shows here on the West coast. Cheers.

It is up there! I was living in Alberta at a time.

Down here they have puny gallons. No wonder my mileage sucks...

More than once (and I know this has happened to you too) I've watched the top of a long Fir slap the ground followed by a "whoosh!" and then a big cloud of gas in the air followed by me remembering that I left my jugs up there.

Quoted for accuracy!

What's a 395 worth?

Just an update, the 460 will ship out Friday or Monday depending on what happens on the farm, the customs form will state repair/return. Looking forward to seeing the results. I've told Simon I'm in no rush to get the saw, to take all the time he needs.
If he wishes he has my blessing to sacrifice a little more durability for more performance if he so chooses. It took me a little longer than I wanted to get to town to pick up a couple new chains. I hope after this, folks will give him more of the respect he deserves. I'll tell you this, he's no different on the phone than any of the guys making a living with saws around here, really a down to earth and pleasant individual that I'd have a beer (if I could drink) any day.

I have one question, Indiansprings. Why are you bent on helping a man build his reputation that obviously doesn't care to do so himself? It's no sweat off my back, but just curious. It just doesn't seem rational to me.

I have one question, Indiansprings. Why are you bent on helping a man build his reputation that obviously doesn't care to do so himself? It's no sweat off my back, but just curious. It just doesn't seem rational to me.

I think it's called "giving somebody the benefit of the doubt". Simon has taken a lot of flack on here, most of which he called down on himself. Maybe this is his chance to show he's turned into a better person. Or not.
We'll know soon enough. The saw will tell it's own story.

I think Indiansprings is doing something that he wants to do. We should respect that. His decision, entirely.

You've taken your share of flack, Brad. You came through it. Stand back and watch.

'do unto others' or some such comes to mind Brad. Don't worry about it would answer #2.

Hope you are very pleased with your saw Indiansprings. I am curious as to what your logging friend has to say. I have no reason to doubt Simons claims of sales to so many fallers, and the fact that he does so in the numbers he claims goes a long way with me. The opinion of guys like JJ, Gologit, and yourself, carries much more weight with me that a bunch of cookie cutting videos. Not that I don't enjoy cookie cutting videos, and not that I am shopping for a ported saw. lol

I have a feeling part of it is based in the fact that Simon keeps himself pretty busy and doesn't have or care to take the time to do videos, crunch numbers, etc. I know that when I put my profile up on Match.com, I got many requests from "ladies" to put videos up of myself doing push-ups in the nude, lifting weights in skimpy spandex shorts, chopping wood with my shirt off, etc. Needless to say, I quickly deleted my profile. Some things just aren't worth the time.

I have a feeling part of it is based in the fact that Simon keeps himself pretty busy and doesn't have or care to take the time to do videos, crunch numbers, etc. I know that when I put my profile up on Match.com, I got many requests from "ladies" to put videos up of myself doing push-ups in the nude, lifting weights in skimpy spandex shorts, chopping wood with my shirt off, etc. Needless to say, I quickly deleted my profile. Some things just aren't worth the time.

Lol:clap: Again, I don't have any real beef here, just kind of curious.

If saws were cheaper up there I would try a 390 from him. Maybe we need a build off here. Some of you guys can build saws and send them to gologit to test them out. :D

Just the fact he stepped up in a big way when challenged? He was willing to put his money where his mouth is. Nothing more. I'll be the first to say his written communication is blunt, possibly full of ego, cocky if you want to call it that. Totally different guy in conversation, comes off totally different. If you'll go back and read some other of his post I pounded the **** out of him. For lack of better terminology I steal a movie line...there is iron in his words.
I be the first to say this saw is a mediocre if it is, if it suzks I'll be the first to say it does, if it rips I'll say it rips, I've already visited with another highly respected AS member that is very familiar with many different porters work ; to possibly do a saw swap with him for a couple weeks, him comparing this saw in a production logging enviroment and me comparing how Simon's saw compares to his ported saw work. I obviously can't ship this saw all over the country but there are others close enough to give it a whirl like Hedgerow. Hopefully I can attend the next gtg that is close so anyone there can run the saw and form their own opinion, hell, it's worth giving the guy a fair shot to showcase his work, nothing more. If the new 440's actually come to fruition I plan on sending one of those to a different porter on the west coast later this summer, I don't care to pass the work around.

Maybe asking someone to show vids of a brand new, unbrokin in saw so you can see what it will do would be the same as askin Dodge or Ford to show you what their trucks will do.
Sure, take it out into the back forty and Baja away!
Maybe Simon doesn't use saws, but just builds and fixes them. I don't know, but I know a saw is only as good as the guy that uses it and knows how to treat it.
John

Just the fact he stepped up in a big way when challenged? He was willing to put his money where his mouth is. Nothing more. I'll be the first to say his written communication is blunt, possibly full of ego, cocky if you want to call it that. Totally different guy in conversation, comes off totally different. If you'll go back and read some other of his post I pounded the **** out of him. For lack of better terminology I steal a movie line...there is iron in his words.
I be the first to say this saw is a mediocre if it is, if it suzks I'll be the first to say it does, if it rips I'll say it rips, I've already visited with another highly respected AS member that is very familiar with many different porters work ; to possibly do a saw swap with him for a couple weeks, him comparing this saw in a production logging enviroment and me comparing how Simon's saw compares to his ported saw work. I obviously can't ship this saw all over the country but there are others close enough to give it a whirl like Hedgerow. Hopefully I can attend the next gtg that is close so anyone there can run the saw and form their own opinion, hell, it's worth giving the guy a fair shot to showcase his work, nothing more. If the new 440's actually come to fruition I plan on sending one of those to a different porter on the west coast later this summer, I don't care to pass the work around.

Nothing wrong with that. Thanks for the candid answer.

Latest posts

Back