Simple Chain Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon Tyler

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
What's the best chain for my saw? I've got a 55 Rancher. I'll be cutting firewood, that is oak, beech, maple, and sometimes locust. I guess it's called a "chisel chain", but there are so many different brands... is one from Bailey's better than a Home Depot replacement?
18" bar
3/8"
68 link?

Jon:)

What's the best chain for my saw? I've got a 55 Rancher. I'll be cutting firewood, that is oak, beech, maple, and sometimes locust. I guess it's called a "chisel chain", but there are so many different brands... is one from Bailey's better than a Home Depot replacement?
18" bar
3/8"
68 link?

Any replacement is better than those at Home Depot. Run over to your nearest Stihl dealer and have them cut you a loop of 33RS, tell them you need 68 links, and don't look back, there is no better chain than Stihl, tats a fact.

Ok Oregon fellers let it rip,haha

+ 1!!!!!!

Any replacement is better than those at Home Depot. Run over to your nearest Stihl dealer and have them cut you a loop of 33RS, tell them you need 68 links, and don't look back, there is no better chain than Stihl, tats a fact.

I prefer the Stihl branded chain it seems to hold its edge longer as long as you dont hit something like rocks, steel, or dirt,,, :monkey:

but they all quit cutting @ that point!!!!! :cheers: :givebeer:

I prefer the Stihl branded chain it seems to hold its edge longer as long as you dont hit something like rocks, steel, or dirt,,, :monkey:

but they all quit cutting @ that point!!!!! :cheers: :givebeer:

Exactly River. My brother moans and groans about how much harder the metal is in the Stihl chain making hand filing alittle tuffer. He does admit though its holds a edge better than any chain he's ever used.:cheers: :cheers:

I am going to have to pick up some Stihl chains next time I'm near the only local Stihl dealer that I can stomach. Heard they also stay sharp somewhat longer.

Speaking of rocking a chain, my neighbor came to talk while I was cutting the other day (on his land), we were walking around, looking at some of the junk around the old quarry. He mentioned that there used to be a stone fireplace mantle laying around, hadn't seen it in a while. Guess what was under the next log I cut? Some kind of reddish slate or fireslate substance, chain hardly scratched it at all. New chain, too. Normally more careful with cutting on the ground, and for bigger logs I use the log jack.

+1 Thall got it right...as usual. If you by from Home Depot you get a clerk who might be well meaning but usually doesn't really know much.
If you buy from a Stihl dealer you have an excellent chance of getting good advice, service after the sale, and a wider range of products.

Just don't tell Thall that I run Oregon chain on the new 390 I just bought.:) :cheers:

Look at it from another stand point. It depends on how much wood you are going to cut over a period of time. If you are just cutting some firewood, several times a year, I don't think it's wise to get that fancy, expensive Stihl chain. Even though it IS a better quality and will undoubtedly last longer, you can probably buy two or three loops of regular chain for about the same price. If you buy that expensive steal chain and accidentally hit the dirt or a rock or something then you have to go get another. If you spend your money on two or three loops of the other less expensive chain, you'll have a back up just in case. And as long as your careful with your sawing, these ordinary loops will last a long time for occasional use.

I agree with you, but the difference between Stihl and Oregon isn't that large.

Exactly River. My brother moans and groans about how much harder the metal is in the Stihl chain making hand filing alittle tuffer. He does admit though its holds a edge better than any chain he's ever used.:cheers: :cheers:

There isn't much difference in either stay-sharp or ease of filing if you touch the chain up often enough.
The safety margin is just a tad larger/better with Stihl.

The new "x" chains from Oregon may or may not be just as good though - I haven't used them enough to form an opinion yet.........

A rocked out Stihl chain is a real PITA to restore with a file.

"Original" Husky chains are rebadged Oregon.

Baileys sell Oregon chains, as well as Woodsmanpro.

Last edited:
18" bar
3/8"
68 link?

I buy my chain from Bailey's. Carlton makes most of the Woodsman Pro chain for them. Are you cutting clean, green wood or stuff that may be dirty, long dead, laying on the ground, etc.? Clean conditions you can use round chisel. Abrasive conditions use semi chisel. I use semi chisel probably 95% of the time due to the junk I am cutting. It does not cut as fast as round chisel but it holds its edge longer before requiring sharpening. Remember that when your chain is no longer throwing chips but instead is producing saw dust that it is time to either sharpen or switch out to a fresh chain. Give Bailey's a call and talk to one of their sales reps. They have some of the best customer service you will ever find.

I could not resist; my funny bone said, the best chain is a 'sharp chain.' But I knew that was not the answer you wanted or needed :buttkick:

If you are going to use a few 'loops' of chain a year, Thall and the Texas Rat gave you good advice on Stihl chain. However, if you are going to buy 100' rolls and make your own loops, then seriously consider Woodsman Pro, as its a couple hundred dollars a roll cheaper and pretty darn good chain. :chainsaw:

I have to agree with everything you said here.
I just think it's a shame they couldn't make their saw's as much better than the competition as they did their chain.:laugh:
Sorry Thall, I couldn't resist.

Andy

not much question stihl makes a better chain... but not at 3x the price.
that's what our local stihl dealer charges for stihl loops.

stihl dealer will not sell 100ft rolls. they don't stock spinner tools either.

that's what drove me to go bulk via mail order

not much question stihl makes a better chain... but not at 3x the price.
that's what our local stihl dealer charges for stihl loops.

stihl dealer will not sell 100ft rolls. they don't stock spinner tools either.

that's what drove me to go bulk via mail order

Huh, Stihl dealers won't sell by the roll, since when? Spinner tools there's no need to stock since few buy rolls of chain but those that do can easily get a spinner, trust me I know.

Thinking about rolls of chain I got a call the other day from a fire company wanting a price on a 25FT roll of 36RDR Carbide chain. Only 2009.00 a roll list, now thats costly chain.

As for 3 times the price, since when? Chain pricing is usually based on how many loops you buy. Buy 5 or 10 loops and the price drops accordingly. A 20inch 3/8 cheapie chain at Home Depot runs about 19.99 and I can beat that all day long.

I do agree 100% with the first part of your first sentance though, Stihl is the best chain out there. One of the main things about the Stihl chain is how the drivers run the oil up to the rivets really slowing down chain stretch, something even the best Oregon has to offer ignores. I'd love to have a buck for every Oregon chain brought in by a customer wanting a link taken out because the chain has stretched beyond his chain adjuster. I could buy me a nice saw..

I have to agree with everything you said here.
I just think it's a shame they couldn't make their saw's as much better than the competition as they did their chain.:laugh:
Sorry Thall, I couldn't resist.

Andy

Apparently they do, been No.1 since 1971, lets see thats 37 years in a row now, they must be doing something the rest aren't,hehe

Seriously I have never understood why Stihl is the only saw maker that makes its own bars and chains. Seems to me the rest would as well and reap the same rewards as Stihl does. Surely if they can build a powerhead they can make a bar and chain. Have never understood why they don't..

I have herd that stihl chain is pre streched at the factory? if this is true,how would it be done?

That is what we are told, how they do it I don't know. We were told as well the steel used to make Stihl chain is good ole USA steel shipped overseas, processed into chain and shipped back.

I do know Stihl takes great pride in their chains and bars. Hell they just invested 70 million in Va Beach for the new bar making factory. The odd part about that new building is the roof, its a green roof, meaning its got a foot of dirt on top of it with grass growing on it. I wonder who mows that dayumm thing,LOL

.... I do know Stihl takes great pride in their chains and bars. Hell they just invested 70 million in Va Beach for the new bar making factory. The odd part about that new building is the roof, its a green roof, meaning its got a foot of dirt on top of it with grass growing on it. I wonder who mows that dayumm thing,LOL

The Stihl dealers in Va take their turn, read the fine print in your contract.......:cheers: :givebeer:

just before I ordered a 100ft roll of oregon square chain and spinner tools. made a trip to stihl dealer just to give them a chance at my business. they wanted $31 (w/tax) for one loop of 72dl 3/8 .50 chain. no discounts for more loops. rolls were not available, they could order a spinner for $169 + tax.

don't get me wrong.... I'm the one that always supports my local dealers. if someone has $$$ invested for inventory, they need to make a profit to stay in business.

slightly higher yes... but not at 2- 3x price of mail order.

Huh, Stihl dealers won't sell by the roll, since when? Spinner tools there's no need to stock since few buy rolls of chain but those that do can easily get a spinner, trust me I know.

Thinking about rolls of chain I got a call the other day from a fire company wanting a price on a 25FT roll of 36RDR Carbide chain. Only 2009.00 a roll list, now thats costly chain.

As for 3 times the price, since when? Chain pricing is usually based on how many loops you buy. Buy 5 or 10 loops and the price drops accordingly. A 20inch 3/8 cheapie chain at Home Depot runs about 19.99 and I can beat that all day long.

I do agree 100% with the first part of your first sentance though, Stihl is the best chain out there. One of the main things about the Stihl chain is how the drivers run the oil up to the rivets really slowing down chain stretch, something even the best Oregon has to offer ignores. I'd love to have a buck for every Oregon chain brought in by a customer wanting a link taken out because the chain has stretched beyond his chain adjuster. I could buy me a nice saw..

Latest posts

Back