Simple no frill alarm system

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paso One

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Some time ago someone detailed there alarm system. Was I smart enough to write it down NO
My system has worked for the last 5 years so why change.

Well..... my fool proof system thru me for a loop. The light stayed lit but the 220 service for the water heater quit.

Long story made short the overhead power going to the building blew a insulated link. It blew and fell onto the other line and was back feeding the power so I had 110 power keeping my light on but the 220 that was needed to keep the radiant floor heat heating didn't happen. ( what are the odds )

So now what I need to rig up is something heat related so when the temperature in the area drops (18 x 24 ) it puts a warning light on or bell ringing ( as someone is always around ) that operates on a 9 volt battery or something that would cover me if total power is lost. ( obviousley not needed if that happens.)

Anyone have a simple no brainer alarm system. for low temp

Do you have a burgular or fire alarm for the place? They'd be able to install a freeze alarm (say set around 40º or whatever is necessary) to call the alarm company before any damage is done.

There is a plug in temperature alarm system, like a small timer, that turns on a table lamp (or anything else in the outlet) when the temp gets below some level. It was sold for people on vacation or gone south, the neighbors could see if a light came on the house was cold, call the service. Sold by Menards, several years ago. My inlaws had one. try some inet searching.

There are also several remote controls than impress a signal on the 120 vac wiring in the house, to control something far away. We had one to control the well pit. Push a button in the house and the well turned on 200 yards away.Works as long as the circuits are on the same panel, i.e. can't control the neighbors house from yours. But you could combine the temperatur sensing with the remote signalling to alert you in the house that the outbuilding was cold.

there must be something more high tech, wireless like handheld phone or something.....

kcj

Here you go:

Pick this up at Radio Shack dirt cheap: Pick up a 9 volt battery and holder, run negative to a 9 volt bell alarm also available to the shack. Run +9 through a mechanical snap action thermostat (Menards cheapy, not mercury style) back to bell. Simple but effective. This thermostat must be heat/cool or cool only, or will not work. You want the circuit to "close" on temp drop, to sound alarm. Prolly less then $25 plus wire. Speaker wire will work or doorbell style.

Thanks Guys for all your answers.

I think what I want is what wirenut suggests.

I think I can even mount the snap disc right on the water heater especially if there is a snap disc that closes when cold that would complete the circuit and trigger my alarm.

I love these forums :)

I've wanted to make a "freeze alarm" with a remote temp probe that connects to a phone line and is programmed with a few numbers to dial. If the temp drops below a certain point it will start calling numbers on the list and playing a prerecorded message.

AOD: Yup it's called an "auto-dialer". Can be set for multiple phone #'s and messages. Just plug in to phone jack, and on contact closure(T-stat, snap disc), start's going down the list dialing away, simple but effective!:cheers:

Back