skid steer debate

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ROLLACOSTA

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Next purchase i'm debating on is a small skid steer.Yesterday it took me 15mins to grind out 2 stumps ,but it took me 2.5 hours to clear up the stump mess [chips and soil],so i'm wondering if a skidsteer would help me considerably in the clearup operation ,i would also use the skid steer for tree planting ,stump clear ups ,brush dragging [with grapple] ,and i would use a rotorvater/cultivater.

I would like to know which skid steers you guys have?? and what attachments you are using ??

Here in the U.S. it is common to get an on-site demo of large equipment such as skid-steers, tractors, etc. Normally with a company rep on hand, you can use the item for several hours to see if will work as expected. I would highly recommend that if the option exists for you.

A few months ago I was impressed by the variety of attachments available for Bobcat skid-steers and did a demo. The machine worked well, but the damage it did to the ground in the course of normal operation was terrible.

I ended up getting a small utility tractor that uses front-mounted skid-steer attachments. With turf tires, it is much more ground-friendly and you can use a full range of rear-mounted PTO attachments if desired. The only downside is size -- the tractor is definitely larger.

Even if the skid-steer was the only option, I would pass, because of the damage caused by the normal skid-steer turning operation.

Just my 2 cents, your mileage may vary.

I've heard Bobcat makes a skidsteer that has 4 wheel steering and turf tires. that might be worth looking into as well.

In my opinion, which is all I am qualified to give. If you're going with a skidsteer, go with Bobcat. I have an 863 that has never failed me. It's big enough to do some small scale logging, small enough I don't have to have a big truck to move it, and it has always done most anything I ask of it.
As far as tearing up the ground, yea it will, unless you want to take the time to learn how to operate the machine (there is a big difference between operating and running a machine). I use over the tire tracks most of the time, they make this machine capable of going places most people wouldn't carry a quart of oil. I use a grapple bucket for moving brush and logs, forks for moving lumber and pallats, a snow plow, back hoe, post hole auger, etc.
They have an attachment for just about anything you want to do. I have found that once you have learned to "operate" a Bobcat that it is much quicker than a tractor.

Andy

dingo rolla,there was one on e bay for 18k with stumpgrinder attachment,full set augers (good money maker there)4in 1 etc.if your going across grass the dingo wins.

I have a mini skidsteer that I am very happy with and also a mini articulated wheel loader. My skidsteer will pass through a 36 inch gate, the wheel loader will not (40 inches wide). The wheel loader will not tear up lawns, and is very manuverable, but cannot turn on a dime like the skidsteer and for me, is slower to operate. I also cannot run the stump grinder on it because the hyd. flow is only 8.5 gpm. My Terra stumper requires a min. on 10.....my skidsteer puts out 14 so it works very well. Cleaning up the grindings is piece of cake with the bucket. The grinding is slower, but add up the total time if you need to move the grindings and the mini wins. The bigger machines will lift more but will not get in a lot of places I need to get. Also I think most homeowners here would start to freak out seeing a big machine running over their lawn. The minis are surprising powerful....If I can move more at one time than 4 guys and not even sweat doing it, that machine is worth every penny to me. Plus it does not get tired, need to get paid, call in sick, or get hurt and is always on time. All it asks for is a little fuel and proper maintenance and its happy. Make the investment...you will be glad you did.

A Bobcat A300 is about $42,000 US. Check out the Multione loaders. The one I would like to get is the SL25...that runs about $26,000 US. The GT series is around $35K.
http://www.multione.com/html/multione.html

iI used to work for New Holland and was impressed with their skidsteers. I do recomend getting tracks if you are riding on lawns. it makes a world of difference. Both new holland and bobcat sell small track driven models. :Eye:

Bobcat has a great dealer network and A vast array of attachments that you can rent and see if they work for your application.Good luck.

I Like my Bobcats I demo'd 3 Cats for a week each and a new holland I Liked the bobcat more of course i've had a Bobcat for 6 yr's So i guess i'm used to them.

Even the Older 763 is a Workhorse I guess its not that old it's a 98 model.
attachment_16949.php

Rolla, there is only one machine I would even think of using and thats an ASV positrac. its on rubber tracks and they dont even mark lawns. up to 125hp with massive flow for stumpgrinding and mulching. Over here you need to speak to Gregor McArthur up in newcastle. will dig out his number. massively impressive machine

I'm in the market for a compact track loader and came across this thread. This is the first I've heard of the ASV. I would appreciate any experience anyone has with these machines. I'm especially interested in minimizing turf damage.

Thanks

priest said:
I'm in the market for a compact track loader and came across this thread. This is the first I've heard of the ASV. I would appreciate any experience anyone has with these machines. I'm especially interested in minimizing turf damage.

Thanks

The ASV RC30 is a really compact tracked skid steer. They do a special set of turf tracks for them. I have seen one doing 360 spins on a putting green with out leaving a mark. Highly impressive!

Back