Skidding logs with a Dodge Ram!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
STIHL-KID

STIHL-KID

ArboristSite Operative
Just thought I'd throw a couple of pics showing the skidding operations my friend does with his Dodge Ram 1ton Dualie.

Equipment used:

97' Dodge Ram Cummins

Steel cable with clevises

heavy duty towing hitch

Oh, and not to forget.......plenty of brute force and ignorance :hmm3grin2orange:

STIHL-KID

STIHL-KID

ArboristSite Operative
sorry the truck was left out of the picture on this excursion. However, my friend is no stranger to pulling big things with his pick-up. Here is a pick of his truck last summer.......

70ft long, 14 ft wide mobilehome being towed 3 miles......the first and last time he will do this

jazak

jazak

ArboristSite Operative
sorry the truck was left out of the picture on this excursion. However, my friend is no stranger to pulling big things with his pick-up. Here is a pick of his truck last summer.......

70ft long, 14 ft wide mobilehome being towed 3 miles......the first and last time he will do this

I still can't tell if he is actually hooked up and pulling....you wouldn't happen to have a little movie for the unbelievers.lol :biggrinbounce2: :biggrinbounce2: just plaing with yah....

Last edited:
LarryTheCableGuy

LarryTheCableGuy

Addicted to ArboristSite
NOW I know who took my house!!

attachment.php

SRT-Tech

SRT-Tech

ArboristSite Guru
i regularly skid 6' to 8' long by 12" - 20" wide logs with my Mazda B2200 2wd. BUT I dont use the truck alone, i rig multiple snatch blocks and one stationary anchor point away from the truck. The load the truck pulls is less than 200lbs. You can also pull out massive logs by hand using multiple snatch blocks , takes some time to rig mind you.

Haywire Haywood

Haywire Haywood

Fiscal Conservative Social Retard
A buddy of mine pulled a construction trailer with a 1 ton tow truck and almost killed himself in the process. No trailer brakes and it pushed him wherever it wanted to. I think he discovered after the fact that he didn't have it hooked up right.

Ian

STIHL-KID

STIHL-KID

ArboristSite Operative
I still han't tell if je is actually hooked up and pulling....you wouldn't happen to have a little movie for the unbelievers.lol :biggrinbounce2: :biggrinbounce2: just plaing with yah....

Actually, I do have a video of his truck pulling the mobilehome (have it on disk). I need to get it transfered onto my computer.

chowdozer

chowdozer

Addicted to ArboristSite

From a past life, many years ago while I was a forklift operator at a warehouse... I Have some information for your friend. ;)

One day, I decided to go out back and lift the tongue on a construction trailer (empty), same size as you got there. Looked just like it but it had some construction company's name on it. The tongue was sitting on a stack of pallets and the pallets were showing some fatigue in areas. My plan was to lift the tongue and slide some new pallets under it. The ol Toyota wouldn't do it. The hydraulics bypassed on me. Never had that happen before. At the time, I knew I could lift two 40"x48" pallets of pizza sauce in cases of six #10 tins, 40 cases to the pallet. That's +/-4000#. The rearend of the jitney would get a little light, but if you took it slow it would do ok.

Trying to lift that trailer, all I can say is the tongue weight exceeded 4000#.

If your friend is hooking 4000# of hitch weight to his Dodge, that's great but he's going to break something. I pray not on a public road.

4000# is doable on a gooseneck, but on a receiver hitch it's too far behind the rear axle. Alot of leverage there!

Just because the truck can pull it doesn't mean the truck can tow it.

He can take that for what it's worth to him. ;)

bytehoven

bytehoven

Pixel Wrangler
who needs a dodge when your ford can do this.... yes you can see the log, chain, and the truck in this photo.

I think I like your use of a short heavy chain over the longer section of steel cable.

What size tires ya got there on that pickup? They look like OEM 265/70R17 of the semi AT variety. I'm only askin' because that's about as much trouble as I might get into with my Ram 2500, and I'm thinkin' I could survive with my stock BFG Rugged Trail tires. :hmm3grin2orange:

stumpjumper83

stumpjumper83

ArboristSite Operative
Yes the tires are stock on that Ford, I wanna get some mud and snows on it, but I'm waiting till I wear the stock ones out first. Second, let me be honest. The pic of my truck pullin that log is a hoax. Just a little something to get the dodge guys going. That log is a little better than 36' and green. Small end was about 16" - 18" or so. Using those figures the log weight is 6,350- 6,600 lbs. I skidded the log to where it was at with an Ih 966 which is about 100hp farm tractor weighing in somewhere close to 12,000 lbs. I just thought it would make a cool pic and when the thread showed up I thought why not.

hanniedog

hanniedog

Addicted to ArboristSite
stumpjumper83

When I saw your picture bull **** was what came to mind first. I don't care what make truck you have moving that log would be hard to do. Not getting on you everyone needs their chain pulled once in a while. Like you if I need to move a big log go to the barn and get out the 1586. 175 horses and a half inch chain can move allott. As to the guy moving that log with his 1 ton truck I would only believe it if I saw it. I guess anything is possible but not very likely.

STIHL-KID

STIHL-KID

ArboristSite Operative
As to the guy moving that log with his 1 ton truck I would only believe it if I saw it. I guess anything is possible but not very likely.

Well, he did it........and in the snow at that. In one of the pictures, if you look closely in the background you can see that the log moved through the ditch a ways. When I watched this process happen it didn't take much throttle to get it out. As for the mobile-home, that was a one time deal only.......yes, he absolutely knows the strain that the truck was taking on the tongue. It just amazes me how the Cummins 5.9 exceeds anything in the light-duty truck market. IMO, the days of monster torque big block gas engines are over. A diesel will always produce more torque than it's gasoline counterpart. Powerstroke guys have their fun too......but i'm more into Cummins.