skill 1645

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brokenbudget

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
hey everyone, just picked up a nice skil 1645 at a garbage sale. run's o.k. but the starter hub is a little worn out, and the pawls don't wanna grab.
does anybody have one of these lying around that they would like to part with? or, what about a fool proof method of fixing the one i have. thanx.

Last edited:
If it is a FB Morse starter set up you can straighten/flatten the pawls a little in a vise. Also make sure that the pawls have a sharp edge to grab the alum. cup. No grease or oil on cup. Friction is the key. No timid starts, grip it and pull so as to set the teeth. If the cup is to far gone then you will have to replace it. Good luck.

Some folks also cut grooves in the cup edge for the pawls to grab. I prefer to adjust the pawls and replace the cup when to worn.

Some folks also cut grooves in the cup edge for the pawls to grab. I prefer to adjust the pawls and replace the cup when to worn.

yeah thats what somebody has already done. they will grab but it catches at about half the length of the pull cord. i did change the pawls around to the "unused" sides (to get it to grab period) but the hub is missing about a good 1/16" of meat. good thing it starts easy.
i'll try to spread the pawls a bit to see what happens. thanx.:cheers:

Latest posts

Back