Skip chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hey jrcat I realy prefer full skip for just about everything especialy stumping the bigger trees and a lot quicker to file as far as bar length guess that depends on what your cutting but I never run more than 24 on the 371 in white oak jmho :msp_biggrin:

I have a 441 that I have run both the skip and full comp on my 28" bar. Saw runs at proper rpm with the skip but cuts slower. With the full comp the saw cuts faster but bogs, not enough steam in the saw, so I stepped down to a 25" bar using a full comp chain. New saw to me and I am still trying to dial it in. One thing I will mention is that for felling trees, the skip worked fine for smaller pine that you want a slower cut with so that you don't cut it off too soon. Scary with bigger fir, just cant get through the cut when it counts. Just my experience.

I like skip full chisel on a 20" bar. Good for felling/bucking, and quick to sharpen in the woods. Tried the full comp in both full & semi chisel upon my shop's recommendation, but still prefer skip.

Stihl RSC full skip on a 32 inch bar on my 046 sure cuts stumps nicely :) Big fat chips too.

I'm a full comp fan up to 32". I will run semi skip on 32" and up. Full skip is easier to sharpen if you're in a lot of dirty wood.

Latest posts

Back