Skip tooth nonsense

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like my 290 farm boss with 20" and non-skip. I just cut up a bunch of 24+" oak and when the 361 got dull, the 290 did just fine with a 7 pin. Going to a second saw that is already sharp is even faster than sharpening skip in the woods, even if it is just a 290. Just sayin'.

Only ever used skip tooth on hand operated circular saws ( Hargon or swing saws ) that was breaking down logs, so rip sawing as opposed to croscutting. When we ripped logs by chainsaw for fenceposts we would reduce the depth gauges to gain cutting speed all other things being equal ie. short bars and 10hp saws.Dont fancy crosscutting with skip on hardwood?

what if I file my rakers off then run skip sequence chain?? Light-saber probably lol

Well, if I had a shop I would keep to the rule that the customer is always right. Right, wrong, smart, dumb, or otherwise.

I also ran a 20" bar on my 290 and I bought a skip loop for it once. My ex still has it. I posted about it here a long time ago. Cross cutting was not much different, but the cutters dulled faster with skip. They were also faster to sharpen. They also worked better on noodling rounds (cleared the chips better). Skip also keeps the revs up on the saw from less torque required to spin it, so in some cases they will cut better, or faster, especially of you are bogging with full comp.

Agree. Unless I'm running a 32+ bar, I don't see the benefit. But if the demand is there, by all means, make some good money off of it!

You would have to bury that bar to see any difference. Yes, it sometimes cuts faster in soft wood, but its because it can clear the chips out of the cut. Not that the cutters produce more.

I have used the same 029 since the mid 90's, and love my 029. I have considered the skip chain notion and a longer bar, but the 20" .325 full comp has done me well. Why change what works? If you are in a big hurry to cut big timber, sooner or later something bad is going to happen.

Well hmm eh after wiping out the competition with my ancient 032 ( AKA Old Sparkless) the guys sat down and examined it. They determined that my winning was due to running skippy chain on the 20 inch bar and they'll probably be doing the same next time.
We shall find out in June.

Skip chain is quite easy to find in our neck of the woods.

Well hmm eh after wiping out the competition with my ancient 032 ( AKA Old Sparkless) the guys sat down and examined it. They determined that my winning was due to running skippy chain on the 20 inch bar and they'll probably be doing the same next time.
We shall find out in June.

Skip chain is quite easy to find in our neck of the woods.

Ms P I heard your wins last June were in part due to your new saw tuner...:D

I cut nothing but soft wood around here, I only use the skip on my 24" and 30" bars, not because it's negligibly faster, but because it's easier to sharpen. Especially since I file square for the most part.

Ive said it a couple times today...K.I.S.S !! To me..if a fella thinks he needs a skip tooth chain on a 550xp to add more power.......its time for a bigger saw anyway . Just my thoughts :)

Here is a Basically stock Husky 550xp pulling a 3/8 20" bar will Stihl Skip chain. RSF Chain
Just drilled a 3/8 hole in the muffler for a mild mufler job

Same saw with 20" 3/8 full chisel stihl chain - Non Skip RS CHain

Same Saw With 18" 3/8 bar and Stihl Skip chain RSF Chain

Same saw with 18" 3/8 Bar and Non Skip RS Chain

The Husky 550xp has now been ported by Tlandrum and wears a 16" 3/8 .050 Pro Lite Bar with Stihl Full Chisel RS Chain.
At first I did not think I would like the 16" bar but really do.
The 20" 3/8 .050 bar is on my Tlandrum Ported 2260 which is a great combo. I love the 3/8 .050 chain and bar combos for
all my saws as I can interchange bars and chains if I have to or want to. The 550xp runs very well with 3/8 .050 Stihl RS chain.

I did not like the Skip chain for limbing as it tends to throw the bar off the limb with a bit of kickback in certain positions. You also
can't use the Stihl 2 in 1 sharpener with skip chain.

Ported Husky 550xp With 16" 3/8 .050 Pro Lite Bar and Stihl RS Chain - Great Combination
IMG_1646.jpg

Back