Sleeper Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sell a 041 to a Mr. Clean looking Morman or Jehovah's Witness who lives in the rented house down the road that the fire dept. should practice on.
Said chrome dome mixes up a batch of 50:1 gas and tears off into a stand of frozen green white oak with a dull chain and sharp spikes, 1 week all done.

Braught the carcass back and made reference to me and a part of ones lower digestive tract and left. Found a jug for it from one that wasn't so lucky with a skidder and it lives.
It did survive a mild run in with an HD-7 Allis before this.

hamradio said:
How much is the MS250? I have a friend who has an MS210 because he wanted a lighter saw than his 044 for trimming trees. He hates it, since it leaks oil all over the place (stupid tooless caps). I hate it, since it barely can cut, compared to his 044 (used both a lot). I called for a price on a MS260 non pro the other day, and it was almost as much as I remember a 390 being a couple years ago.

$290. I like mine, runs like heck never gets heavy. Dependable.

SawTroll said:
Yada, Yada, but I wouldn't want one - simply too heavy for its power, even though it actually weights .1 kg less than Husky claims.
But the Stihl MS441 cost less here, and has less weight and more power, also when compared to the stronger 575xp.....:yoyo:

Thats why its a sleeper saw.

Its not too heavy for its power. It depends what you're doing with it.

Bravo musch!

You got it! It is promising to see a few guys grasp the concept without turning this into another brand vs. brand pissing match, picking out every shortcoming they can dream up on a particular saw.

My vote here goes to the Dolmar 510, which is about $100 less than the 5100. And unlike many of the smaller saws mentioned here, it doesn't have a plastic crankcase. Definately a sleeper and lots of bang for the buck.

As far as popularity, the 350's and 2150's fly out the door. Especially the Jonsered with the free case offer. An awful lot of guys who buy them as limbing saws wind up using them a lot more than they expected to, since they just run so nice.

musch said:
... Its not too heavy for its power. It depends what you're doing with it.

I'll have to agree with you on that!

It is all about the application ( at least for a non-pro, like myself).

:cheers:

Max said:
You got it! It is promising to see a few guys grasp the concept without turning this into another brand vs. brand pissing match, picking out every shortcoming they can dream up on a particular saw.

I like the Huskys and Stihl pro-quality saws.
Its like comparing Remingtons to Brownings, there are small differences in feel, power, torque, that translate to balance, cutting speed, and usablility.

With high quality, I think it comes down to what you prefer.

No matter what you buy, you can end up with a lemon, in which case I can understand having a bad taste in your mouth.
But it is fun to compare and contrast, obviously, by all the posts here. :popcorn:

I can bring up a few older and not too common saws that I own and love: the husky 246 for firewood and limbing, and a partner P85 for big,CHEAP horsepower. the husky is a well balanced fast cutting saw and the P85 has a lot of grunt. What also makes the partner a sleeper is it didn't cost much.

Mine is a 028 Super I recently purchased for $200.00. It's almost 20 years and is almost in new condition. It runs fantastic. I guess it's not a sleeper as the topic of the thread states however, I didn't expect to have a saw made 20 years ago hang with ones made today. I guess there is some truth to "they don't make em' like they used to"!

Even though I'm a Husky guy, my vote goes to the 025/MS250. Very rugged yet fairly nimble. My old beat up 025 has suprising power when it runs. I just wish Oregon made 95VP bar/chain for that saw.

hamradio said:
How much is the MS250? I have a friend who has an MS210 because he wanted a lighter saw than his 044 for trimming trees. He hates it, since it leaks oil all over the place (stupid tooless caps). I hate it, since it barely can cut, compared to his 044 (used both a lot). I called for a price on a MS260 non pro the other day, and it was almost as much as I remember a 390 being a couple years ago.
MS250's in my area go for $250 with a 14" bar. Again mine has been a great little saw.

Latest posts

Back