Sleeper Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Max

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
What do you guys feel is a sleeper saw in any of the brand names?
The reason I ask is that I was in my local shop the other day and struck up the normal conversation about saws. I ended up buying a Husky 345 for a song & a dance due to the shop being overstocked with this model. I know it is a homeowner saw but I grew to like it really quickly. Things I like; low weight, non-cat, nice power for size 3hp, 16" bar, decomp saves on starter asmbly and great feel. This little saw cuts great! I know I have a soft spot for local dealers, however this guy matched & beat an Internet price I tossed at him. Looks like we both ended up happy.

So...what other saws homeowner or pro saws do you feel are worthy, but do not get much press around here????

I agree fhcw, they get bad mouthed because you can buy a 350 for the same price, but I will say mine has nice p/w ratio and is as dependable as the tide.

fishhuntcutwood said:
I think the MS 250 gets overlooked. There's better saws, but it's price and what it has to offer for it's niche are significant.
I sincerely and respectfully disagree with you on that one!:blob2:

The Huskys and Jonsereds are much better in the homeowner class of saws.

:ices_rofl:

SawTroll said:

Well I didn't say it was the best. I even said there's better saws out there. I just think it is a sleeper that gets overlooked. Most homeowners go straight to the 290 series for simple homeowner stuff, when the 250 would do just as well, while weighing and costing less. ;)

SawTroll said:

I sincerely and repectfully disagree with you. I personally think husky homeowner saws suck. I've owned some and think they are a little cheesy. I do have a 250 and it runs like a scalded dog. The utility company I used to work for also had several 250's that they got for a real cheap price. We used them a lot when we cut trees out of power lines and cleaned up after storms (which was my job) They took a lot of abuse because these guys were hard on equipment, never cleaned the filter threw them in the trucks dropped limbs and trees on them etc. Matter of fact thats how I got the one I use, guy dropped a limb on it and broke the chain stop. Very strong and dependable saws for the homeowner class. I am not so biased though to say every stihl saw is great but I also do not think Husky is so superior either. Nor do millions of other people.

I think the Echo CS-60S is in the Echo line up. Everybody wants a 650 and others. I at one time could buy them cheap on ebay until i started running my fingers here about them, now they bring much more $$$$...Bob

I only have one Echo, a cs3000 - and though it doesn't have the power of a 34cc TH it's still a bit of a sleeper (narcoleptic) TH. Echo has several saws that could be considered sleepers considering how inexpensive they can be for the service life people get out of them - even though they're never really in the running when all out power/weight are considered.

Ditto on the 025/250 - I hear a lot of people talk it down, but it's got a very comfy spot in my shed.

Chaser

AJLOGGER said:
I sincerely and repectfully disagree with you. ....
I know! :cheers:

It is just that I have used and done some maintenance on 2xMS250c.

The plastic factor is overwhelming, and I simply don't like them.

Bad anti-vibe and air filtration, and easily outcut by a comparable Husky (admittedly with 95VP chain vs. 25RM).

The Husky 350 are sturdier buildt, have superb anti-vibe and air filtration, and they have the same power rating here (3.1 hp).

Last edited:
How much is the MS250? I have a friend who has an MS210 because he wanted a lighter saw than his 044 for trimming trees. He hates it, since it leaks oil all over the place (stupid tooless caps). I hate it, since it barely can cut, compared to his 044 (used both a lot). I called for a price on a MS260 non pro the other day, and it was almost as much as I remember a 390 being a couple years ago.

Never played with any of the homeowner Stihls, but for the money I still swear by the 350 husky, I just can't see how it can be beat!!! Beat the tar out of mine, ran it for two years before I put in a new plug, still using the same air filter, just blow it out, bars are the only thing killing me, about ready to buy a GB TI for it actually We even dropped a tree on one once, my buddy didn't want to listen, popped off the throttle lock, poppped it back in and went back to cutting. That was after doing 3 sumersaults in the air, and we almost never found the missing peice!!!! That really impressed after that!! I can't really call it a "sleeper" though, good saw, nice price, but not a lot more than you're moneys worth.
Now, my 262xp that you all had to talk me into buying for $100, that was a sleeper!!!! LOL!!!
Andy

sawinredneck said:
Now, my 262xp that you all had to talk me into buying for $100, that was a sleeper!!!! LOL!!!
Andy
Very good post!

....but I wouldn't say that the 262xp generally is a sleeper either- it is probably one of the best saws ever buildt. :cheers:

Unrespected Saws

After having both a 250 and a 290,,,, assuming the 250 actually got some oil on the bar and started,,,, I see no reason why anyone would want a 290 over a 250 unless they wanted more exercise.

Ran a Redmax 5000 at a dealer once. Very impressed.

Own a Dolmar 401 that gets no press anywhere. I don't know of another 8lb saw that is built like it is (maybe the little shinnie). With a little muffler job, it is a treat to run. Only saw I have that I am continuously turning down purchase offers on.

Max said:
What do you guys feel is a sleeper saw in any of the brand names?

So...what other saws homeowner or pro saws do you feel are worthy, but do not get much press around here????

I have the Husky 570, and like it a lot.
I also think I am the only one. ;)

musch,

Not true! After countless years with his trusty 041, my father of all people
(65yrs old) drops by my house to show me his new Husky 570 which he just got. He has had it for about 5 months and the saw runs really well!

I have a 575 that get thrashed here daily. I just don't care though because I like it for what I use it for. If had had to use it daily to earn a living I agree it may be a tad heavy. But I am a weekend warrior and really do like the 575.

So stick with the 570, dam good saw!

Max said:
musch,

Not true! After countless years with his trusty 041, my father of all people
(65yrs old) drops by my house to show me his new Husky 570 which he just got. He has had it for about 5 months and the saw runs really well!

I have a 575 that get thrashed here daily. I just don't care though because I like it for what I use it for. If had had to use it daily to earn a living I agree it may be a tad heavy. But I am a weekend warrior and really do like the 575.

So stick with the 570, dam good saw!

Good to hear. I agree that the 570 is heavy, but for hundreds of dollars less than the 385s, it is a good quality, almost 70cc saw, IMHO.

The question is,
Can you kill an 041? :D I have an uncle who "tree'ed" one, but other than that, they seem to last dang near forever. A friend has one in good, running shape (needs new seals in the oiler).

musch said:
Good to hear. I agree that the 570 is heavy, but for hundreds of dollars less than the 385s, it is a good quality, almost 70cc saw, IMHO.

Yada, Yada, but I wouldn't want one - simply too heavy for its power, even though it actually weights .1 kg less than Husky claims.
But the Stihl MS441 cost less here, and has less weight and more power, also when compared to the stronger 575xp.....:yoyo:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back