Slow lately - time for a new oil thread - I have Castor questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks UZI. And to all the others, I think its time to be thankful for choices. So as we all hold hands and sing Kumbaya, we can know that we have the freedom to choose what oil, or oil substitute, we use to keep our rings and skirts from becoming one with the cylinder wall.

And, I use 927 because it smells good, my choice, and I will suffer what concequences I may to smile while I run my saw. I spend most of my day behind a desk, and the few hours I get to cut will be maximized to allow me to enjoy it the most.

Ill stick to the oils that burn clean without being as picky about the tune. Why settle for a compromise?

I understand where you are coming from but I guess synthetics are a compromise too in my mind. I'm particular about tuning anyways so no extra effort added there. I run it because I've never seen something on castor 927 blend have a lubrcation failure like a seize or burnt bearings (assuming it was mixed at a decent ratio 50:1 or higher) I've run it in everything from ported cr500's and 250's running hard in sand drag races to my weedeater and chainsaws. But it's an oil thread I'm sure there'll be 10 people come along and tell you how bad castor blends suck and 10 people who love it. I run it based on the heat resistant properties stated in the article above. That along with 10 years and probably 1000+ hours on different engines that have all run great on it. As with the rest of life your experiences may vary;):)

I have been using this for the last two years. I bought a 4 litre bottle(they have it on sale at least 2x per year) for ~29€ (~7,30€/L)! Full synthetic with the top norms. What else do I want? Run it in my saws, bruschcutters, etc. Never had a problem.

https://www.louis.de/en/artikel/motorenoel-procycle-2-t/10038564?list=14625195

Wouldn't be suprised if you would find an equivalent where you live.

I understand where you are coming from but I guess synthetics are a compromise too in my mind. I'm particular about tuning anyways so no extra effort added there. I run it because I've never seen something on castor 927 blend have a lubrcation failure like a seize or burnt bearings (assuming it was mixed at a decent ratio 50:1 or higher) I've run it in everything from ported cr500's and 250's running hard in sand drag races to my weedeater and chainsaws. But it's an oil thread I'm sure there'll be 10 people come along and tell you how bad castor blends suck and 10 people who love it. I run it based on the heat resistant properties stated in the article above. That along with 10 years and probably 1000+ hours on different engines that have all run great on it. As with the rest of life your experiences may vary;):)
IMO buy an mtronic/autotune saw, run a 100% ester premium oil with hardly any buildup and dont look back! Then concentrate on things that actually make a difference like chain.

As far as protection I agree it will do a good job but why bother with the buildup?

Let me reiterate the issue here. A quart of synthetic two stroke mix is nearly the equivalent of $30 here. I just got some maxima 927 for less than half that. A friend of mine that runs ported two stroke bikes uses it, and buys it in bulk. He says it's fairly clean. I have seen the pistons and cylinder pics he's had. Just a bit of oil here and there. Nothing like the old castor used to do. It is a hybrid blend, and not a full castor. I was specifically asking if people had experience with 927 in a chainsaw. Though Dave responded, he has no real specifics on the use or any photos. In any case. I take my saws down often enough, and it's easy enough to tell how it runs at the plug and the top of the piston, which do not require tear down. So, I am gonna try it and report back.

As for the argument of burning cleaner oils - cleaning a piston and cylinder are far easier than buying new ones... I have a LOT of stumping and huge trees in my near future, so I would rather have the added protection and mess than wear. In any case, I am curious to see if it runs in a heavily ported chainsaw(it won't be run in a woods ported saw) similarly to a ported bike. Also, the stuff smells great ;)

I used a pint of it but didn't pull the 395 down that mostly used all of it. It only mixed 4 gallons of mix with it.

I have been using this for the last two years. I bought a 4 litre bottle(they have it on sale at least 2x per year) for ~29€ (~7,30€/L)! Full synthetic with the top norms. What else do I want? Run it in my saws, bruschcutters, etc. Never had a problem.

https://www.louis.de/en/artikel/motorenoel-procycle-2-t/10038564?list=14625195

Wouldn't be suprised if you would find an equivalent where you live.

With shipping and taxes, it's the same as Castrol Pro 2t synth is here(22 EUro). Thanks for the heads up, but I would likely go with the Castrol variant first.

As far as protection I agree it will do a good job but why bother with the buildup?
I've never had a problem with buildup or I guess I might have a different opinion on castor. The 455 in my sig was the first saw I ever owned and it was bought new in early 07' its been ran on castor 927 since then with the exception of a few rounds of husqvarna xp mix when I didn't have 927 on hand. In those 7 years its probably had literally 100's of tanks through it. I have put 2 spark plugs in it as preventive maintenance because they came with the husqvarna kit that has an air filter, fuel filter and spark plug in one kit. I've never had a plug foul and looking through the plug hole and exhaust port this piston looks great. No buildup on top or around the rings. I've never had the bottom end apart as there's never been a reason to but if I ever need to tear it down I'll check things out for build up.

The 55 in my sig has had quite a bit of castor ran through it as well, it seized while running Husquvarna XP oil last winter (air leak at the impluse nipple not the oils fault) but since being rebuilt has been run on castor 927 its piston also looks great. I just popped the top end apart on it to check my cheap no name ebay piston that I cut windows in with a dremel. More about that here:http://www.arboristsite.com/communi...ton-cut-and-photos-added.249658/#post-4646974 I didn't see any evidence of buildup anywhere in the motor.

My 2100 is going to mastermind in January so if there's something off in it because of the oil I'm sure he will let me know. I'm not saying maxima 927 is the end all be all of oils, I got along fine with the husqvarna xp oil (didn't like the price) but will continue to run the 927 castor unless I run into something bad. The high heat protection is where it's at for me, my opinion is that air cooled, high revving, high compression and high prolonged loads found in chainsaw engines place a lot of demand on the oil. Maxima 927 has never let me down but like I said before its an oil thread I'm sure there will be other come along and say I'm completely wrong or have experiences that are opposite of mine.

I used a pint of it but didn't pull the 395 down that mostly used all of it. It only mixed 4 gallons of mix with it.

The vast majority of work I do would be with a 60cc saw. This benol is going into a ported 70cc saw that will be running a 25 and a 30" bar in hard wood, for longer stretches at full throttle, but on much fewer occasion. 4 gallons is a week on my 60 at it's busiest, it'll likely be more like 2 months on the 70cc saw unless we have another storm season. Like I said, mostly part time work. You got through 4 gallons before at 32:1 with no issues, just some build up on top of the piston, right?

That's the thing. I hardly saw any build up in the bike(125cc, ported, air cooled, premix). He runs 40:1. I was considering doing the same. And, presumably, if you do have buildup(varnish), it's because the engine ran very hot, to the point where ester would have stop protecting it...

The vast majority of work I do would be with a 60cc saw. This benol is going into a ported 70cc saw that will be running a 25 and a 30" bar in hard wood, for longer stretches at full throttle, but on much fewer occasion. 4 gallons is a week on my 60 at it's busiest, it'll likely be more like 2 months on the 70cc saw unless we have another storm season. Like I said, mostly part time work. You got through 4 gallons before at 32:1 with no issues, just some build up on top of the piston, right?
Yeah about the same as klotz. It was ripping a lot of wood so it didn't take long to go through it.

Yeah about the same as klotz. It was ripping a lot of wood so it didn't take long to go through it.

Yeah, I will be ripping and boxing and shaping some yellow cypress that is hard as a rock, and some oak and ash. It's gonna make it very hot, very quick.

ETA - didja mean Super Techniplate? I was also curious how that ran since it's a blend as well. But It is way more expensive to get here...

Original and R50 is the only ones I've used. The super runs dirty but mixes well with alcohol.

Good read, the chemistry of castor is amazing.
We ran blends in dirt bikes with good results.

If you want a good cleaner to add to your mix try Yamaha ring free plus. It cleans well, it is supposed to have Techron as a major component in it. Works well on outboards.

The science teacher wife told me about esters, they are the active ingredient/smelly part of perfume.

927 is all I run in my 2 strokes, never blown an engine never had an issue with carbon build up. actually most of my pistons come out with a lot of the piston crown showing bear aluminum with zero carbon on it.

I am running the castor oil Blenzall in my Lawn Boy as an experiment. I love the smell but the engine started easier and ran much cleaner with full synthetic. Seems to be the same power. So far I have only run Ultra or XP in the saws. The synthetics smell like overheated or burning metal in the mower.

Back