synthetics vs castor oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Howdy:

Belray MC-1 is the old school synthetic but it is not the same base oil as H1R.
MC-1 used SbDTC (antimony) as the antiwear agent.

MC-1 is a 50 weight SAE viscosity oil thus they recommend 50:1
flashpoint is 208 F PMCC

H1R is 40 weight SAE viscosity.
Flashpoint is 395 F PMCC

H1R is for powervalve motocrossers
MC-1 is for non powervalves

Both are great oils for your saw. I also really like the Belray Marine racing oil for everyday use due to the clean burning and rust preventing additives.
I been using MC-1 for my YZ125 since the early 1980's.

Thanks! Good info and first hand experience is hard to beat. I really think that MC-1 or any of the good mineral base synthetics would be fine for my saw, kinda want to play with the ester base stuff. I have been crunching numbers the last few days, any way you size it a gallon of chainsaw gas is pretty danged expensive for me by the time I chase premium nonethanol fuel then add stabilizer and two-cycle oil. Adding another fifteen percent to the cost doesn't seem that major. Pouring leftovers in my lawn mower is gonna hurt my heart regardless!

Being a man of firm indecision I will probably make up my mind as I reach the parts counter. Never paid $25 for a quart of two cycle oil before!

MCW,

You are absolutely right of course. Using the CAS numbers is where I got much of my information.

Hu

Sorry as educational as this thread has been, being old and retired, it has me worn out. I think I will save my decision making time for important things like breakfast or which Politian I'm PO'ed at today. I'll just stick to my Husky XP and then I won't need to get a different cap to wear!271253710695_1.jpg

Howdy:

Belray MC-1 is the old school synthetic but it is not the same base oil as H1R.
MC-1 used SbDTC (antimony) as the antiwear agent.

MC-1 is a 50 weight SAE viscosity oil thus they recommend 50:1
flashpoint is 208 F PMCC

H1R is 40 weight SAE viscosity.
Flashpoint is 395 F PMCC

H1R is for powervalve motocrossers
MC-1 is for non powervalves

Both are great oils for your saw. I also really like the Belray Marine racing oil for everyday use due to the clean burning and rust preventing additives.
I been using MC-1 for my YZ125 since the early 1980's.

MC-1 is good stuff. I like it and ran it for years in two stroke bikes. Last pint I bought was 4.95. Would have to order it online now as everyone has gotten away from two stroke bikes.

Information like that is madatory for the consumer over here. So that is nothing special. Usually the shop where you buy your stuff has to provide it and most companies have it online. If they don't or are touchy, no problem one call to the general manager and everybody is back in line!

It's mandatory here as well, but is seems like some manufactures leave out a lot of information. With Maxima they at least tell you The % of ester base stock used, Motul does as well.

The first 4 lts i got was clear also,but the last 8 x 4ltr have been red.

I still do not understand why they still sell it (Mobil 1 synthetic) in Oz and not here any more. Red is the dye they use in off-road/non-taxed diesel here, so not the best choice of colors if they ever sell it here again (which is doubtful).

Anybody have any info on the Pennzoil Air Cooled oil? I went through a spell of collecting the 1 gallon mix bottles (for 40:1) and don't use it as I believe the 100% ester based oils are better. It did rate very high with the air cooled RC airplanes in testing though.

Waylan

Latest posts

Back