small fuel container?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alderman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Does anybody make a small gasoline container that would hold just a pint or a quart of fuel? I want to start packing a saw with me while in the hills with the pick up, but I don't have a fuel container that will fit in the saw case. I don't need the gallon can along for the ride. Is there an acceptable alternative such as an oil bottle?:confused:

alderman said:
Does anybody make a small gasoline container that would hold just a pint or a quart of fuel? I want to start packing a saw with me while in the hills with the pick up, but I don't have a fuel container that will fit in the saw case. I don't need the gallon can along for the ride. Is there an acceptable alternative such as an oil bottle?:confused:

As I have used oil bottles, it's not a good idea, if you do, dont top them off, sort of like how you need to give a water bottle a squeze before you frezze it, oil bottles would be slighty safer if you did also,,,,,,,,,, but there has to be a better container that size?

Kevin

i have used 20oz plastic pop bottles for fuel and oil years n years w/o any problem. i can carry them on the tractor where larger containers wont fit. works for me. good day 1953greg

Go get an aluminum fuel bottle, like used for carrying camp stove fuel while backpacking. Much better than reusing a plastic bottle not intended for fuel, and having the potential for issues.

Yep, aluminium fuel bottles are the way to go. Known as Sigg bottles after a popular manufacturer...

Yes, from my backpacking days Sigg & MSR make aluminum fuel bottles that will work. I've used the red Nalgene plastic (HDPE) 1-quart bottles when we clear hiking trails. For bar oil I put a dish detergent pop-top cap on a 1-quart oil bottle.

fishhuntcutwood said:
MSR makes them as well.

I'm pretty sure that MSR's are made by Sigg also which is a good thing. They are the standard and have been for 50 or so years now.

Getting OT, but the Sigg bottles are spun aluminum with a pressed-in thread insert & are not meant to be used as pressure bottles on the MSR stoves. MSR bottles are extruded aluminum & the threads are rolled in the neck. This was from an MSR rep I spoke with a few years ago at a camping gear expo.

How about the bottles that charcoal starter fluid comes in. Just throwing out ideas.
Simpsons.gif

The MTDC, (Missoula Technology Development Center) which tests all the gear fire crews use, did some tests on various aluminium fuel bottles after a crew had a bunch blow out after gaining lots of altitude in a short amount of time. The test is pretty interesting. MSR bottles did the best, in fact, they did so well that the O-ring failed long before the bottle did, and even after modifying their testing device to hold the O-ring better, it still blew out around 400 PSI and the bottle was still intact. Siggs failed simply by being left out in the sun. Olympus failed miserably as well.

Oh yeah, they don't cost much, and have loops in the caps so you can buy a 1000ml size for fuel, a 750ml for oil, and tie them together. Works great.

Thanks for the info

The aluminum MSR bottles look like just the thing I need. I've ordered a couple and they should be here in a few days.

Thanks for all the input.

mbopp said:
Getting OT, but the Sigg bottles are spun aluminum with a pressed-in thread insert & are not meant to be used as pressure bottles on the MSR stoves. MSR bottles are extruded aluminum & the threads are rolled in the neck. This was from an MSR rep I spoke with a few years ago at a camping gear expo.

Both types of bottle were originally built for fuel. Both types of bottle have threads that are plenty strong enough. Both types of bottle fail under extreme pressure by stripping the threads from the stopper, not the bottle.

From a mountaineering stove point of view, the MSR bottle is better simply because it is lighter. Sigg bottles come in larger sizes, and I have the biggest for fuel and a smallish one for bar oil. Often I just use a plastic bottle for bar oil instead.

MSR's "oh my gosh, we can't guarantee the threads on anyone else's bottle" marketting line probably sold them a few bottles. I wouldn't use a no-name bottle on my stove, but either Sigg or MSR are both fine for fuel.

i only use sigg for water now. i was backpacking the C&O canal and had one fail on me. good thing was i had not started the stove yet.

BlueRidgeMark said:
:jawdrop:

I should hope so! :dizzy:

Yeah, but as I said multiple Sigg bottles in fact blew out (the bottles, not the caps or seals) while a crew was carrying them on a fire in Wyoming. Hence why they started testing them in the first place. Also, as I said, rapid elevation gain and temperature rise without venting any pressure, thus the blowouts. The simple fact that the Sigg bottles will fail at a relatively low PSI, before the seals do, makes me not want to carry them. That's why I like the MSR bottles. In attempting to make the bottle fail, they couldn't. And even when the O-ring "failed" it only vented off the pressure, then continued to seal.

Latest posts

Back