• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Want to Buy Small, Running Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pka45

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all,

New guy here -- been reading a lot and decided to join. I have one saw that works great for me, a PP5020, but I am looking for a smaller one to clear trails, limbs, small firewood, etc on my property. Before I go buy a Ryobi or some other cheap junk that my buddies will make fun of, I figured I'd ask here for a used, running, small saw ~14"/35cc size. I don't have a Stihl/Echo budget. Save me from a Ryobi!

Not looking for anything in particular, mods are fine, as long as it runs good and is fairly lightweight, and relatively cheap. I can sharpen it but not looking for a repair job. What do you have?

Thanks very much for your time,

Pete

Hi all,

New guy here -- been reading a lot and decided to join. I have one saw that works great for me, a PP5020, but I am looking for a smaller one to clear trails, limbs, small firewood, etc on my property. Before I go buy a Ryobi or some other cheap junk that my buddies will make fun of, I figured I'd ask here for a used, running, small saw ~14"/35cc size. I don't have a Stihl/Echo budget. Save me from a Ryobi!

Not looking for anything in particular, mods are fine, as long as it runs good and is fairly lightweight, and relatively cheap. I can sharpen it but not looking for a repair job. What do you have?

Thanks very much for your time,

Pete
Welcome to AS pka45.
You say you don't have a Stihl/echo budget, those two are typically almost opposite sides of the spectrum.
Do you have a price in mind, I think that will save you and others a lot of time.
In a saw that size I can say picco/LP chain is a given for me.
Brett

Thanks for the response; I'd like to stay around $100 (Ryobi price range!). I don't need crazy performance - but you guys do have me reading up on muffler mods, thanks a lot :). Just want something that will get the job done.

Thanks for the response; I'd like to stay around $100 (Ryobi price range!). I don't need crazy performance - but you guys do have me reading up on muffler mods, thanks a lot :). Just want something that will get the job done.
I sold an almost new echo 310 last summer for that, wasn't terrible power wise for the price. Like I was saying, picco or lp chain is the only way to go on these smaller saws.

Just thought of something that might work for you.
Hate to see it go to work, but hate to see it sit too.
It's kinda rough lol.
It may need the carb cleaned or the fuel lines replaced. When I started it last it was a bit harder starting, prior to that I had cut with it a bit:chainsaw:.
Screen Shot 2019-03-14 at 10.30.52 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-03-14 at 10.31.12 PM.png

Looks fine to me, but you have me a little concerned about it maybe needing work. I'm handy enough, but not really looking for a project saw...

3e80f787dbdc6874b2a0914cea554db3.jpg

Good running, handy little twerp. Had to replace the 10” with a 12” as I couldn’t find a shorty.

Watch for one for $60 on C’list in your area. [emoji1696]

Just thought of something that might work for you.
Hate to see it go to work, but hate to see it sit too.
It's kinda rough lol.
It may need the carb cleaned or the fuel lines replaced. When I started it last it was a bit harder starting, prior to that I had cut with it a bit:chainsaw:.
View attachment 723028
View attachment 723029

How much are you asking for this saw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honestly Poulan is awesome. Lots of people have thought that they were cheap Chinese saws. On the contrary they are made in the USA and are produced with Sweden saw parts and run big saws under the table. Anyhow message me and I can help hook ya up. The Husqvarna ab company makes the parts and USA puts them together. Just saying if anyone gave you crap about owning one then you need other real friends lol just something to think about.

Thanks for the feedback. I just found a local Walmart that supposedly has Poulan 3314's on sale for $30. For that price, I might have to buy a couple and try to get one of them right.

Thanks for the feedback. I just found a local Walmart that supposedly has Poulan 3314's on sale for $30. For that price, I might have to buy a couple and try to get one of them right.
Be sure to run ethanol free fuel in whatever you get. It will keep you from having to do any more work on saws than you should have to, ethanol will mess up a carb pretty quick as it's quite corrosive and it absorbs water :eek:.

I have a Husqvarna 141 which may just be what you are looking for, 16" bar and chain included. Runs perfect, no issues. Great little saw and not too heavy for the trails.

Attachments

• IMG_6592.jpg
    IMG_6592.jpg
    648.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_6593-1.jpg
    IMG_6593-1.jpg
    730.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_6594.jpg
    IMG_6594.jpg
    786.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_6592.jpg
    IMG_6592.jpg