Small saws for small trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most the time i carry 2 to 4 saws with me through out the year locked up on my pickup up usually liking to match saw size to applications. I have an Efco 3700 with with a 12in bar and mended busted up handle I seldom lock up so i can just grab it and make the cuts i need to clear whatever i need in my road or path. Super easy to keep a 12in chain sharp and it cuts well enough i often don't bother to unlock and fuel up a bigger saw to get a small load of wood. If its stolen while i am eating lunch up town which is unlikely given its appearance could probably find a better comprible saw for about $100. If it were a Stihl and i used it like that sooner or later likely a theif would find it irresistible and i would be out 2 times the money. I like keeping a saw or 2 like that handy here and there and if i am not cutting big wood for a substantial amount of time its sometimes as fast and more convenient to cut fair size trees with the little beater saw in my case, all things considered.

Are you one of those guys that still grease them lol.

If you grease them, you need to grease them an a normal basis. Or you can use brake parts cleaner to remove tue grease and then never grease them again.

I run my chains tight and haven't greased a bar tip on one of my saws in over 10yrs. The only bearing failure I've had on mine was from boring with an overly aggressive chain, 100% operator error.

I don't grease them roller tips and I have the little needle tip grease gun for such.
Several years ago I did so as per the owners manual but they get enough lube from the chain oiler.
I do inspect the roller/sprocket and take a putty knife and clean the bar slot good.

If I had a roller seizing up I would inspect such instead of just hoping it's problem would go away by itself. I suspect he will probably need a replacement bar, but I would also check that the oiler is operating properly and not ruining both the bar and the chain. If the is a 3/8 pitch he needs to make sure he is using the correct chain pitch. (picco (LP) vs standard)
AND like brushwacker says good to keep a beater/loaner saw around,, one of them type saws that if someone steals it they don't really know what they got until later.
I have couple of late model Poulans and Macs that are use for such and do not have to gas up my good saws unless I want to gdo some real saw work. No great loss if them Polulans and Mac's evaporate.

I have a cs490. seems to be a good saw except I have locked up the roller tips on 2 oem bars in about 30 hours of operation. I ran it last weekend with no problem what so ever. I pulled it out yesterday and fired it up and the tip was locked up tight. I have several echo saws and all have oem bars and no issues. cs300, cs3000, cs2511t and 2 cs355t but this 490 I just don't understand what the problem is. any ideas?
If you’re cutting really pitchy wood it will happen. Just need to clean it out.

If you’re cutting really pitchy wood it will happen. Just need to clean it out.
I cut hedge. super sticky stuff. I just do not understand why it is only this saw that does it. I have a stihl ms 290, and echo cs300, cs3000, cs2511t and 2 cs 355t's and none of them have this issue. I was able to get it cleaned out and spinning good again.

Regularly, anything between 3/4"-6" I run my Echo 2511T, but I'll run it in 16"+ and never had an issue.

Mad3400

Latest posts

Back