Small saws for small trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can also get standard 3/8 rims to fit the mini spline. 3/8LP and standard 3/8 rims are slightly different.
Someone a few months back posted a link to an MS260 parts sheet and it had four mini spline choices. I am not sure what is available, and what is available from who you might meet at a parts counter.

I might add the smaller chains like the 0.050 1/4 and the 3/8 picco in .043 and .050 are more robust from Stihl than brand x. We seem to be discussing for running on the 42 or so cc essentially 3hp (stock) chainsaws.

Someone a few months back posted a link to an MS260 parts sheet and it had four mini spline choices. I am not sure what is available, and what is available from who you might meet at a parts counter.

I might add the smaller chains like the 0.050 1/4 and the 3/8 picco in .043 and .050 are more robust from Stihl than brand x. We seem to be discussing for running on the 42 or so cc essentially 3hp (stock) chainsaws.
I don't know if the 3/8 mini spline rim is available OEM, but I do know you can get them, because I have them on a couple of 026's. They pull 3/8 beautifully on a 16 or 18 inch bar btw.
And I agree that the little Stihl chain is more durable.

K
Those are PHO dry actual weights how OEM weighs saws. Not paper specs.

Bars chains and mix and bar amounts held also changes weights big time on any saw.

Zenoah 4300 543 still lighter by 13 ounces to Gen2 and 3 261. But not enough yet to make me want one.

Just to show dry and then full of mix and bar oil and still PHO. Depends on what each saw holds.

View attachment 1105707View attachment 1105708What is’PHO’ and how can a person make an informed choice on a saw if the specifications are so different from reality?

PHO power head only dry is how OEM weighs the saws. To many variables when you start adding bar chains etc etc. Plus each one hold different amounts of mix and bar oil and that changes too as you use them. ;)

All the info is there. Now it's on you. GL

Go big go small all done the same way. ;)

h3120weight.jpeg

501 is a mag cased pro built saw. 4920 is the new strato homeowner ranch etc style. Plastic cased clamshell design.
4910 used to be the one before 4920 replaced it. Used same mag case and p+c of 501 though.

All brands do this, nothing new. Heck Husky 550 545 450 3 same size.
450 plastic like 4920. 454 detuned 550 on mag cases.

555 is a detuned small mount of the 562 for US. Want the pro one to go same as stihl pro one. Need the 560 562.
I didn’t know echo did this.

The 543xp is the lightest and doesn’t look like crap like the Echo. Echos are only sold by hardware stores out here. I would prefer a Stihl because there are many dealers out here but they don’t make a pro 40cc saw. The one pro Husqvarna saw dealer is an Amish shop. The 543xp is a pound lighter than the Makita 4300 which can only be ordered online here.

I would probably get a 50cc saw if I didn’t know the capabilities of 40cc saws and if I didn’t already have a 60cc saw.
Find yourself an ms241c-m 43 cc pro saw. I love mine.

I would like to find a 241.

Can anyone tell me the flaws in the Husky 543xp especially compared to the makita 4300? Price? Because it’s Japanese?

One thing I don’t like about the 501p is the on/off switch, I’ll be trying to start it in the off position 9/10 times. Makita and Husqvarna switches return to the on setting.

................. Can anyone tell me the flaws in the Husky 543xp especially compared to the makita 4300? Price? Because it’s Japanese? ..............

I will try,

Price is called up there in post 1 of a similar thread trending towards the top of the list at this time.

Vibration is lower in the specifications list for the Makita though for rubber mount the 543 is pretty good. Not sure about that Amish saw shop and parts prices but I recently looked at an on line Husky parts place and they want over $20 for a smalll spline sprocket when ordered off the 543 parts sheets, that could be a waring. Is the clutch spring really NLA?

The below are subjective.
The Makita is an inboard clutch with the chain adjusting mechanism in the powerhead, The 543 is an outboard clutch with the adjusting mechanism in the clutch cover.
The Makita holds more fluids what is a flaw and what is an advantage is kind of subjective.

Why are so many people enamored with the Makita 4300 and have little to say about the 543xp?
There's like 12 guys here lol. Go back a few years into the older threads and most of us aren't even in those threads.
Buy what works best for you
Makita is out of the gas stuff manufacturing so parts availability??
Price wise the Husky is about $80 more for me but I like Huskys.
I'd probably get the 543xp

I was referring to reviews of the Makita from all over the internet from recently and long ago.

I Weighed the 261 and the 501p today with bars and chains, 13.8 and 13.0 pounds respectively. The 261 is too heavy.

Back