Small saws for small trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 241 has a pico chain anyway.

I’m leaning towards the 635xp, hopefully it has decent bars available for it. It’s lighter than the Dolkita 431/4300, which is what I’m comparing everything to.

I’m also interested in buying from a repair shop rather than a hardware store—Echos around here.
:You can run a stihl mini spline drum and use 3/8lp and .325 stihl specific rims. Then you can use an Oregon or brand x small spline drum and use 1/4 or .325. There must be at least one spur drive drum in the parts sheet.

If this 490 ever dies and dont want to rebuild using 4910 501 p+c etc etc.

I am going to buy the echo 501 myself. Light saws in 50cc with upgraded parts.

490 pic tore down I got from a local with a air leak from his hacking and base gasket delete. Fixed it and been running it for a couple years now.

Some of a locals 4910 pics of his saw.

Can be bought cheaper then retail shown. https://www.echo-usa.com/chainsaws/cs-501p

Love the pro grade builds on them.

e490p.jpg
e4910boot.jpg
e4910bases.jpg

I have an Echo cs490 and last time I ran it I noticed it has more vibration to my hands than my Stihl's or Huskys. IDK I guess it's time to get back out soon and run it.

I have an Echo cs490 and last time I ran it I noticed it has more vibration to my hands than my Stihl's or Huskys. IDK I guess it's time to get back out soon and run it.
Thats what a friend noticed on his compared too.

My hands have got sensitive to the no av saws like my 2000. But I havent felt it to my hands yet using all day with the rubber av.

Now I do notice it when comparing my 372 to the 440. I felt the difference big time. But not if not comparing back to back.

Have the 543xp for a few years. Great saw. My son MM and took off the limiters. As many people have said keep the chain sharp. The saw balances great run full chisel. 325. I run it alot.

FWIW, and not much, I have a Stihl MS180 and Echo310 that does a great job on smaller trees. If I need something bigger, I have options. I try not to use more saw than what I need.

I’m always impressed with my 42cc Dolkita 4300 (when it’s not throwing chains) and Im underwhelmed with my Husky 555 with 20” bar. Stihl’s pro 60cc saw is noticeably more powerful. I pretty much only use the 555 when I need a longer bar, the Dolkita has sufficient power for most trees under 20” dbh. I wonder if the 543 is equally impressive.

Husky pro 60cc models are 560xp&562xp...not 555
True, I’ve just seen it recommended and I for one would not. Pro build but detuned—whatever that means other than less power.

I’m still pondering the Echo 501p, it looks cheap but if it is actually a good saw I won’t write it off yet.

Why does echo have two 50.2 cc saws, the 501p and the cs 4920?
501 is a mag cased pro built saw. 4920 is the new strato homeowner ranch etc style. Plastic cased clamshell design.
4910 used to be the one before 4920 replaced it. Used same mag case and p+c of 501 though.

All brands do this, nothing new. Heck Husky 550 545 450 3 same size.
450 plastic like 4920. 454 detuned 550 on mag cases.

555 is a detuned small mount of the 562 for US. Want the pro one to go same as stihl pro one. Need the 560 562.

The 543xp is the lightest and doesn’t look like crap like the Echo. Echos are only sold by hardware stores out here. I would prefer a Stihl because there are many dealers out here but they don’t make a pro 40cc saw. The one pro Husqvarna saw dealer is an Amish shop. The 543xp is a pound lighter than the Makita 4300 which can only be ordered online here.

I would probably get a 50cc saw if I didn’t know the capabilities of 40cc saws and if I didn’t already have a 60cc saw.

The Husky 555 appears on the professional page of Husqvarna’s website, btw.
Is built like the pro grade 560 562 but a cost effective price point in detuned version. Sort of like they did the 572 565 etc etc etc etc.

Just like these. 545 550. 545 detuned cheaper cost point. Pro built but not a XP. XP is their pro sells point to those that know.

Just like the 346 and 353 but 353 used different topend detuned.

h545h550.jpg

The 543xp is the lightest and doesn’t look like crap like the Echo. Echos are only sold by hardware stores out here. I would prefer a Stihl because there are many dealers out here but they don’t make a pro 40cc saw. The one pro Husqvarna saw dealer is an Amish shop. The 543xp is a pound lighter than the Makita 4300 which can only be ordered online here.

I would probably get a 50cc saw if I didn’t know the capabilities of 40cc saws and if I didn’t already have a 60cc saw.
Hair under 12 ounces difference.

If stihl. I'd get for the stihl 261 even over the 241. 4 ounces different.

IMO has to be a reason why husky clearanced out the Zenaoh made 543's few months back.

m4300weightt.jpgh543weight3.jpgs241weight.jpgs2612weight.jpg

how is it that a the 9.9 pound 543xp ends up at the same weight as as the 10.8 pound 261?

Are those weights powerhead only?

Now I’m leaning towards the 261!

how is it that a the 9.9 pound 543xp ends up at the same weight as as the 10.8 pound 261?

Are those weights powerhead only?

Now I’m leaning towards the 261!
Those are PHO dry actual weights how OEM weighs saws. Not paper specs.

Bars chains and mix and bar amounts held also changes weights big time on any saw.

Zenoah 4300 543 still lighter by 13 ounces to Gen2 and 3 261. But not enough yet to make me want one.

Just to show dry and then full of mix and bar oil and still PHO. Depends on what each saw holds.

h346ww.jpgH346phfull.jpg

:You can run a stihl mini spline drum and use 3/8lp and .325 stihl specific rims. Then you can use an Oregon or brand x small spline drum and use 1/4 or .325. There must be at least one spur drive drum in the parts sheet.
You can also get standard 3/8 rims to fit the mini spline. 3/9LP and standard 3/8 rims are slightly different.

Back