Small town mechanic story

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mweba

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Many of you work on small engines as I do for a living so this story will hit home.
Tonight like many nights I am sitting with my wife watching tv after getting the kids to bed when someone knocks on the door. My wife sighs and says "come on its 9 O clock". I answer the door and as usual the guy looks some what familiar. First thing out of his mouth "I have this chainsaw". I say ok just set it inside the garage door on your way to the truck. Gentleman tells me that he left it in the back of his truck for a couple days and it got soaked, never did run after that. Local dealer could not get it to run and said not worth fixing. I asked for his phone number and he said he didn't want it back, to keep it.
I finish watching tv with the wife and I could not stand it anymore. I had to go see what he left. I expected a plastic poulan or craftsman as they seem to sell well around here. To my suprise I find this.

he he
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

ha yup
I had to wait to see it too!

Not sure what is wrong with it. Has great spark and comp. Looks like the dealer did not assemble it completely after "teardown".
This makes up for those nights people knock on the door at ten to tell me their mower won't run.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Does he have anymore saws he wants to leave in his truck in a rain and then dispose of? If he does I'll save you the interruption of him coming by at 9 pm!

Hey Mitch,

If you want to drop that one off at my house as well it would be O.K. with me,,,,wait I don't need any more reliable saws, they might make my McCulloch's jealous.

Last week someone (turns out it was Mitch) left me a neat little Remington in John Deere colors to keep my JD9 company.

Anyone out there able to help me come up with a 3/8-7 clutch drum for a Mighty Mite size Remington?

Sorry, no photo's of the JD yet, I'm in Mexico this week.

Mark

Whats the story on these? I can't find much for info. Out of all the Stihl saws I have worked on I have not touched one of these.

Hey Mitch,

If you want to drop that one off at my house as well it would be O.K. with me,,,,wait I don't need any more reliable saws, they might make my McCulloch's jealous.

Last week someone (turns out it was Mitch) left me a neat little Remington in John Deere colors to keep my JD9 company.

Anyone out there able to help me come up with a 3/8-7 clutch drum for a Mighty Mite size Remington?

Sorry, no photo's of the JD yet, I'm in Mexico this week.

Mark

May drop the 346ne for you to run. May turn you onto the dark side.

And here I am with no bar and chain! O ya and clutch cover.

Good story.

But no wonder it wont run. It is the wrong color :D

All I know is that it is a homeowner saw, and be careful if ya get it hung up. Dont yank on it to hard, I heard the mounts were a weak spot.

I would never leave mine in the rain, or outside at all for that matter.

But my boss leaves his saws on the back of his truck every day, rain or shine. Just bought his 290 last summer and it looks like it's 20yrs old. The first thing to go are the mufflers. It don't take em long to rust out in the weather. I don't know how they still run but they do.

Off topic in a way, but did you guys watch axemen when the swamp man uses his saw underwater? Never thought that could be done. Would'nt think your saw would last long doing that.

I would never leave mine in the rain, or outside at all for that matter.

But my boss leaves his saws on the back of his truck every day, rain or shine. Just bought his 290 last summer and it looks like it's 20yrs old. The first thing to go are the mufflers. It don't take em long to rust out in the weather. I don't know how they still run but they do.

Off topic in a way, but did you guys watch axemen when the swamp man uses his saw underwater? Never thought that could be done. Would'nt think your saw would last long doing that.

It amazes me what people do to power equipment. I see something new every year.

Intellicarb? Stihl website states this saw come with one. All of them I have seen are electronic so I assume this is a pre intel saw?

... I expected a plastic poulan or craftsman as they seem to sell well around here. To my suprise I find this.

A plastic Poulan would have started right up after being left out in the rain....
:)

Cool freebie ! Let us hear what the problem is...must be fuel related.

I'm thinking the same. Stihl dealer should have been able to figure this one out. I will have it cleaned up and back together today.

How strange is that, I got one last night also, same saw same senario to a tee. Left out and now won`t start. Don`t have time today to pull it apart but maybe you can solve the no start problem for the both of us. Oh, let us know what you find. LOL
Pioneerguy600

The old "not worth fixing" line. I wonder if the dealer sold him a new saw to replace the inoperative one?

The old "not worth fixing" line. I wonder if the dealer sold him a new saw to replace the inoperative one?

YES.

Well so far an inch long split in the fuel line starting at the grommiton the tank. Was on the far side so I had to remove the line to find it. If that is all, which I believe it will be WOOHOO.
Taking off to the good stihl dealer for parts at noon. Should have vid by this afternoon if the rain passes.

Back