Smaller saw recommendations

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Victor A Van Natter

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I currently have an echo cs590. It's a great saw and I love the thing. But it can be a bit much limbing downed trees and bucking up 12" and under wood. It's basically more saw than needed for this application and I'd like a lighter saw for these tasks. I cut about 15-20 face cord a year to feed my woodstove plus cutting out small trees on my 2.5 acre property. I'd prefer to stay with echo as the dealer is close by and I already have one of their saws, hedge trimmer, and grass trimmer and I've been very happy with the brand but I am open to others. I do not need a super light top handle saw as I'll never climb a tree to limb it. So with all that said what do you guys and girls think would be a good saw to serve those needs as I don't have a lot of experience with different saws. I'm thinking cs-310, 352, or 370. But cs-310 may be too small? Cs-370 too close to my current machine? Thanks

I have 3 Echo 400, 2 with 18” and 1 with 12”, love them. I also have an Echo 490 that I converted to 3/8 lp so I can run same chains as on the 18” 400. It really cuts with the 3/8 lp.

I currently have an echo cs590. It's a great saw and I love the thing. But it can be a bit much limbing downed trees and bucking up 12" and under wood. It's basically more saw than needed for this application and I'd like a lighter saw for these tasks. I cut about 15-20 face cord a year to feed my woodstove plus cutting out small trees on my 2.5 acre property. I'd prefer to stay with echo as the dealer is close by and I already have one of their saws, hedge trimmer, and grass trimmer and I've been very happy with the brand but I am open to others. I do not need a super light top handle saw as I'll never climb a tree to limb it. So with all that said what do you guys and girls think would be a good saw to serve those needs as I don't have a lot of experience with different saws. I'm thinking cs-310, 352, or 370. But cs-310 may be too small? Cs-370 too close to my current machine? Thanks

The cs-310 and 352 are basically the same platform with the only difference being the 352 has a larger engine (34 cc vs. 30.5 cc). So the 352 is basically going to be a little more powerful version of the 310 (with no added weight difference). The CS-370 and CS-400 are also the same situation. Same basic saw, with the only difference being that the cs-400 has a little more power with a 40.2 cc vs. 36.3 cc engine.

I have a CS-590 that I use for larger diameter bucking, etc and a CS-400 that I use for most limbing & bucking 12" and under. I am very happy with that combo. I also have a MS-193T, but don't use it as often. I don't do a high volume of cutting, and rarely large diameter wood. In my situation, if I could keep only one saw from the group of 3 I own, I would keep the CS-400.

The cs-310 and 352 are basically the same platform with the only difference being the 352 has a larger engine (34 cc vs. 30.5 cc). So the 352 is basically going to be a little more powerful version of the 310 (with no added weight difference). The CS-370 and CS-400 are also the same situation. Same basic saw, with the only difference being that the cs-400 has a little more power with a 40.2 cc vs. 36.3 cc engine.

I have a CS-590 that I use for larger diameter bucking, etc and a CS-400 that I use for most limbing & bucking 12" and under. I am very happy with that combo. I also have a MS-193T, but don't use it as often. I don't do a high volume of cutting, and rarely large diameter wood. In my situation, if I could keep only one saw from the group of 3 I own, I would keep the CS-400.
Just used my 352 last week in Vermont to clear out a stone wall of scrub trees.. Trees about 3-4 " in diameter. Did a real good job and it is light. I previously opened up the muffler, so I've no comparison to a stock muffler.

Back