smallest safe trunk diameter for spiking

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plasmech

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Been looking at a pine tree that needs to be limbed and blocked-down due to it's location.

disclaimer: I look at a lot of trees, doesn't mean that I personally will tackle them as I have to get training first.

The tree is a healthy diameter at the bottom, but she necks down pretty good early on. This raises the question as to what is considered the smallest safe spiking diameter. I would assume it's different for different woods?

Think the question is more what size wood will support you and your gear safely? The answer depends on the overall condition of the tree and the species. Where I might be OK tied in to a small hickory limb, I would not be so sure about a willow branch of equal diameter As for spiking in small wood, it is a skill that must be aquired and you need to be very careful not to slip out and go for a ride. If you are not comfortable, don't do it.

Plas, it's kinda seat of the pants thing to me. It also depends on if you can bomb the top out, or have to lower it.
I just go with my gut feeling from exp.
Also depends on your weight and gear weight.
If it doesn't feel right ,don't do it.
Sorry if not much help.

It is different for each species and different by condition. You need experience to make this judgement, hence me telling you a hundred times to go work the ground for an expert.

It is different for each species and different by condition. You need experience to make this judgement, hence me telling you a hundred times to go work the ground for an expert.

Thanks for the replies all. I would go work as a groundie except I have a day job, a good one. My delusion is to learn to do this on the side. Means it will take a lot longer to learn than it did for y'all. If I go slow enough and hook up with the right people, it doesn't have to mean it's any less safe.

By the way I hate wood chippers, I want nothing to do with them. In my opinion the chipper guys should make as much as the climbers. Nobody can tell me they aren't dangerous as $%&^

Thanks for the replies all. I would go work as a groundie except I have a day job, a good one. My delusion is to learn to do this on the side. Means it will take a lot longer to learn than it did for y'all. If I go slow enough and hook up with the right people, it doesn't have to mean it's any less safe.

By the way I hate wood chippers, I want nothing to do with them. In my opinion the chipper guys should make as much as the climbers. Nobody can tell me they aren't dangerous as $%&^

So you want to be a treeguy, you don't have time to work the ground,you hate chippers, and you want to set the pay scale from the start. You sound like 20 year old trash, this just isn't gonna work out for you.

Mike,
Comments like that are what get you the red rep, and bad vibes.
Keep it to yourself, its a pretty foolish comment. I resent it, for one.
I'm paid for my skills, not cause I can survive chipper duty.

Drag and load brush for a couple years, and a big morbark will give you a woody.
but then nobody can tell you.
:biggrinbounce2:

Last edited:
Seriously, man...

The guys that are good at their job in the trees make it look easy. IT ISN'T. You NEED more experience before you even attempt anything.

Mike,
Comments like that are what get you the red rep, and bad vibes.
Keep it to yourself, its a pretty foolish comment. I resent it, for one.
I'm paid for my skills, not cause I can survive chipper duty.

Drag and load brush for a couple years, and a big morbark will give you a woody.
but then nobody can tell you.
:biggrinbounce2:

Please don't berate the groundies. There are good guys who do more than survive chipper duty. I think a groundy doing his job right is pretty much exacting the same thing as the guy in the stick. Trust me, not every mexican makes for a good groundy either.
To be honest though I think anybody on the force should be able to do it all to some degree at least.
Sorry, I just didn't want to see any groundies hurt in the making of this post but Plasmech:
Good for you, ya got a hobby and some interest. Some people jump out of planes for a hobby and yes, sometimes they die or wish they did.
A lot of guys want to get into cuttin some trees, it makes you feel like a man and hell, its crazy mad fun as all get out. You seem to not being taking much risk with your life and that IS good for you.
In all essence you could learn a lot by yourself and you most likely will. But you will also most likely have to see things in action or at least have a backround in cuttin wood first. I don't advise you to put saw to standing wood unless so.
Being in your line and your caliber you might have heard of Critical Mass but do you really know what that is? It takes a good amount of work to get to CM and you might not realize the path you took to get there until you get there but then it becomes pretty clear. But hey, people jump out of planes all the time, I did.

If you slip on a 2" limb the wrong way you most certainly will rupture your modulous. Both of them:jawdrop: :cry:

Nah I have slipped and it is your reaction to a slip that will get ya. Lean back and enjoy the friggin ride my man you'll stop soon :laugh: Even on poles you'll stop just may be fifteen foot or so and my modulous are fully intact lol.
I used to practice on saplings that were getting mowed it really tunes in your aim and when you can dead center a four inch sappling from ground to the bending moment you are a good aim. Learn to sharpen your gafs correct and the slips are rare and quit hugging the tree boy:hmm3grin2orange:

Like you guys say, I'm sure it wouldn't be too bad working with people who know what they're doin and not putting myself in a situation I couldn't handle. Almost any job is like that really, you start out with the grunt labor, get a feel for what's goin on and move up when the opportunity presents. I look at it like any specialized skill, it takes time, toil and patience to get to the top.

Like you guys say, I'm sure it wouldn't be too bad working with people who know what they're doin and not putting myself in a situation I couldn't handle. Almost any job is like that really, you start out with the grunt labor, get a feel for what's goin on and move up when the opportunity presents. I look at it like any specialized skill, it takes time, toil and patience to get to the top.

So are you working the ground for someone yet? I think you would make a
good climber +1 for attitude!

Right now I'm laid off from workin heat treat in a machine shop, I've been cuttin firewood to pay the truck insurance and buy food. After working in foundries, recycling, machine shops etc since I got out of HS, even doing groundwork would be a pretty sweet job compared to what I'm used to. Getting paid to be outside and get some exercise sounds pretty decent to me.
Right now I'd take about whatever opportunity that comes my way honestly. The military will probably be next if I can't find something decent in the next few months.

Latest posts

Back