smallest safe trunk diameter for spiking

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sounds like a trip to Arkyensaw is in order.
to help the ropensaddle clean up.

this your rope, dude? ;) I got this, stay in the truck.:laugh:

he'll be too busy pulling husky cords to notice.

disclaimer. I like and use huskies. That's a 372 in my avatar.
plus they are good for exercise, if you switch pulling arms.
Otherwise, one arm gets way bigger.
but when you run both all the time, why is it always the husky that's gotta be hard to start?:confused:

Last edited:
Plasmech,

Maybe a good thing for you would be to start recreational tree climbing. Since this is a hobby that's what rec climbing is all about. There are some classes around or you could get taught by a pro and then use what you learned to start climbing and if you start getting comfortable with that and still want to use a saw in a tree get started with that. Rec Climbing is getting big now so you might be able to find a group that goes climbing and they could teach you.

come ta my place plasmech ill give you a free lesson in climbing;) if u want me to come instruct you on the removal of the pine its gonna cost a lil & that dont mean u will have what it takes ta get er down, but you will get a tast of what its like ta work in a tree. as to your q. if its smaller than your neck stay off of it:laugh:i stayed home today cause of the wind and my next job being the removal of two 80 ft pines over the house, wires, and all the other **** that makes my job fun.

Last edited:
I have spiked to 2" limbs in removals but depends on the modulous of rupture.
:biggrinbounce2: Oh ya, and the next thing your gonna tell us is your 2' tall. :laugh:
If you are good with a rake after a couple of months you'd get to feed the chipper.
:ices_rofl: :ices_rofl:
Mike,
I resent it, for one.
I'm paid for my skills, not cause I can survive chipper duty.

Dragging brush and climbing are in no way comparable. The guy in the tree has unlimited hazards as the groundie needs only to stay out of the shoot. The climber needs hundreds of $s of equipment the groundie just needs to bring a pair of gloves.

Bythe way for the ones wondering what modulous of rupture is; it is a term
used to define the different breaking strengths of green wood. Usually a six
inch limb is sujected to a hydraulic ram with a pressure gauge to measure
the foot pounds force to determine differences in different species of wood.
Have I ever looked at the charts not really because I had already climbed
ten years before seeing them so already knew their strengths.

My dad taught me that when I was around 12. One of the first lessons other than the climbing hitch, bowline, and running bow. When he said it, I always thought he was saying "modulous abrupture", I figured it out around the time I put some hair on my chest.

He is a stickler for warming up the saw too, and yes he likes his Husky's. I have noticed that the Stihls start much easier at first and hold a prime a lot longer. Seems like you can let one sit a half an hour and still fire it up on the first pull.
I got it down though, I crank on them Husky's until about pull 8, then I smile, fire it up on pull nine and yell "first pull everytime". It always gets a good laugh.

Last edited:
William get in your phone book call all the reputable company's you know of
in the tree bus and go to work, it should not be too hard! They should pay
you well, maybe not at first but if you got the goodies you will do pretty
good. Make sure the climber's saw is full and pre warmed when
you send it to him and that you have everything ready to tie
off to him. He will be impressed if he does not have to yell all
the time to get attention. It only takes a second to glance every so often to see if he needs something! The rest is just working
the chipper always check the oil water he will notice that you
are concerned but pick the right time to do it like first thing in the AM. I will bet if he hired you and you came to work your first
day and went straight to the chipper checked the oil while he was finishing coffee he would see he has a winner immediately.
Remember crackheads don't do this and he is used to having
many of them if he see's one that ain't he will want to keep ya:cheers:

That was a damn good post old dog, I tried to rep ya but (even though ya dont need it) but gotta spread it around first.

Thats all I've been looking for right there - easier said than found. One of the last guys this year, his way of trying to impress me was greasing my chipper (real slowly) while I was cutting in the bucket and his buddy was dragging brush up hill to the chipper - then when he finally finished that he would take the brush from his heavily sweating buddy's arms as he neared the chipper, place it in the chipper (slowly), turn around, take a 12" log say 6' from this poor bastard (slowly), look the other way and then be so kind as to chip it for him. Nice guy right?? I have Autofeed too.

Shortly after that I broke out the firing hat, these are the people I dont waste my breath on - FIRED!

That was a damn good post old dog, I tried to rep ya but (even though ya dont need it) but gotta spread it around first.

Thats all I've been looking for right there - easier said than found. One of the last guys this year, his way of trying to impress me was greasing my chipper (real slowly) while I was cutting in the bucket and his buddy was dragging brush up hill to the chipper - then when he finally finished that he would take the brush from his heavily sweating buddy's arms as he neared the chipper, place it in the chipper (slowly), turn around, take a 12" log say 6' from this poor bastard (slowly), look the other way and then be so kind as to chip it for him. Nice guy right?? I have Autofeed too.

Shortly after that I broke out the firing hat, these are the people I dont waste my breath on - FIRED!

Well yeah I have seen too many of those types which is why I said timing
and first thing in the AM not everytime you get bored. I can completely
understand breaks as I have fed them myself and still will but you better
be pulling your weight if you expect help if not I have no problem helping
you find the door. Everyone I have fired knew why they were fired and
only one tried to get testy but found the ground a bad place to be with
me. One thing I have learned though and many of us climbers
are guilty of expecting mind readers, you have to let them know
your expectations try it sometime:cheers:

Last edited:
Nah I am 2'6'' at the shoulders lol!

You are a wealth of info even though you are short. How in the hack did you figure out how to make a degree sign? I have been looking all over the place for it , it seems like a lot of work you might as well spell degree anyway.

Last edited:
You are a wealth of info even though you are short. How in the hack did you figure out how to make a degree sign? I have been looking all over the place for it , it seems like a lot of work you might as well spell degree anyway.

:hmm3grin2orange: I was recently flamed by a :newbie: for using % for°
and he was so kind to share so I saved it so I no forget:laugh: So thank
the :newbie: lol

Well yeah I have seen too many of those types which is why I said timing
and first thing in the AM not everytime you get bored. I can completely
understand breaks as I have fed them myself and still will but you better
be pulling your weight if you expect help if not I have no problem helping
you find the door. Everyone I have fired knew why they were fired and
only one tried to get testy but found the ground a bad place to be with
me. One thing I have learned though and many of us climbers
are guilty of expecting mind readers, you have to let them know
your expectations try it sometime:cheers:

No dude, he wasnt bored, just fat and lazy. He figured it was too hot and too steep so he would let the other guy move the entire tree up to him, then he would chip it.

After I fired him he asked why, I gave him that annoying instance and some others, he says "well we talked it over, its not like we didnt have a "plan" - thats what me and so and so agreed on". When I asked the other guy about this aledged "plan" and if they discussed it , he just laughed and said "not really".

I have noticed that the Stihls start much easier at first and hold a prime a lot longer. Seems like you can let one sit a half an hour and still fire it up on the first pull.

Nails your a good guy but really my friend it is caused by clogged air filtration richens the mixture at some point choking wont even be necessary:laugh:

No dude, he wasnt bored, just fat and lazy. He figured it was too hot and too steep so he would let the other guy move the entire tree up to him, then he would chip it.

After I fired him he asked why, I gave him that annoying instance and some others, he says "well we talked it over, its not like we didnt have a "plan" - thats what me and so and so agreed on". When I asked the other guy about this aledged "plan" and if they discussed it , he just laughed and said "not really".

Ohhhhhhhh a ten minute special I see, I have sent those packing in ten minutes why waste his and more importantly my time.

A groundie that can [or will] do a good rake up is a good groundie ,indeed.
So many want to just halfazz it. Joe HO does not allways pay a lot of attention to the effort required to get everything down safely, without damaging the surrounding landscaping and stuff.But they will remember if they had to clean up after your crew. I try to remind my guys of this all the time.

Mike,
Comments like that are what get you the red rep, and bad vibes.
Keep it to yourself, its a pretty foolish comment. I resent it, for one.
I'm paid for my skills, not cause I can survive chipper duty.

Drag and load brush for a couple years, and a big morbark will give you a woody.
but then nobody can tell you.
:biggrinbounce2:

Sticking up for groundies will get me a red rep? W.O.W.

Look, I am researching this more as a hobby or just to learn a trade than to start Mike's National Tree Service tomorrow and put all you guys out of business. (ok, ok, STOP LAUGHING LOL). Chillax (chill, relax) and be my friend dudes! I respect you all, seriously.

Back