Smoked meat?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coldfront

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I was just thinking, if the EPA says smoke is so bad for you this poison and that poison terrible to breath smoke. But then they have all kinds of smoked meat fish etc. in every grocery store. So don't breath it but ok go ahead and eat smoked stuff all you want. So eating it is not bad? Thank god the EPA doesn't control what we eat. I'm all for the EPA being dismantled which looks like might happen.

Last edited:
Let us know how your water tastes with all the chemical waste in it! :hmm3grin2orange:

As far as smoked meat, is it really smoked or has a smoked flavor been added to it?

Smoked meat is smoked meat, maybe you have never had it? I don't think the epa is all bad. But need to get a handle on it. They are without a doubt one of the biggest money wasters that siphon the money out of the pockets of Americans daily, and thrive under the false theory of man made global warming. No one wants pollution but this is a bad economic time to try and put the screws to everyone. They need to back off a bit in these times.

Smoked meat is smoked meat, maybe you have never had it? I don't think the epa is all bad. But need to get a handle on it. They are without a doubt one of the biggest money wasters that siphon the money out of the pockets of Americans daily, and thrive under the false theory of man made global warming. No one wants pollution but this is a bad economic time to try and put the screws to everyone. They need to back off a bit in these times.

What is bad is not eating smoked meat - heaven knows I do a mean smoked salmon & other suff. Mind you eating too much of anything is bad for you.

Snorting the salmon now... that would make some damage! :msp_w00t:

Actually, what does the damage is called PM 2.5 or Particulate Matters 2.5 micron or smaller. Wood burning produces lots of it and your lungs cannot get rid of that stuff very well. If you have kids with Ashtma or other breathing problems you'll know what I mean. So no... It's not a false theory. Don't believe me, have an open fire in your backyard and keep downwind of it and see how bogus it is. Better yet, scrape some creosote from your chimney and snort it for fun. Dont worry, it wont hurt - that's just a myth perpetrated by the govt!

In many poor countries like Cambodia, parts of africa etc... It's a huge problem to the point the UN is sponsoring a program for someone to come up with a clean burning stove under $50. Too many kids & young adults die of respiratory illness because wood burning is their only source of heat and cooking.

It's fine to question how necessary regulations are, its even better to look for the answer.

Like the Fram Filter man said, "Pay me now or pay me later". As a country we allowed our legislators to kick the can down the road too many times without making the proper choices with the future in mind. As an unemployed American, I would rather pay a bit more now than face a catastrophe down the road.

And yes I am familiar with smoked meat and have had everything from venison to fish to game birds cooked in that fashion. In fact, I sold my smoker just prior to moving.

Welp, being the consumer of a fair amount of smoked foods, and a heavy grill user, I actually did a bit of homework on the subject a while back. It is FACT that smoke and char on food IS a carcinogen. But we deal with lots of stuff that is a carcinogen. The REAL question is how much is too much. Ain't no answer to that question that I have found. Every person is different.

I have done some looking around at the subject myself and come to the conclusion I'm still going to be eating smoked meats / fish. I was just kind of wondering why if it was so bad to breath but ok to eat?

I was just kind of wondering why if it was so bad to breath but ok to eat?

I guess that is what I was saying, it really isn't okay to eat, and they have studies to prove it. But try and take a hunk of jerky out of my hands and there is gonna be trouble.:angry:

This isn't a politcal thread is it?

The EPA isn't in your face as much as you think, and you might want to give them equal time when you consider what they do do for you.

Smoked meat? The act of smoking meat? Smoke in general?

It was a humor thread wasn't it?

Consider your food choice, and then ask yourself what it would be like if there wasn't an EPA. If you have trouble, I can help.

Your food does not come from your own husbandry, farming and preserving.

My favorite complaint now is the plastics in the water. Plastic grocery bags and plastic drinking bottles. They break down in salt water into smaller and smaller pieces, eventually becoming fine sediment that floats. Fish eat it, bigger fish eat those fish. Check North Pacific Gyre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for a inkling. There are Gires in every ocean.

The EPA is at least keeping lead acid battery recycling plants from setting up shop uphill from the meat cattle ranch you get your steaks and burgers from via your local grocery store. See the link here for a nasty picture of some moke in a third world country recycling your battery. :: WorstPolluted.org : Projects Reports

You look deep enough, you'll find some product made, that you use or consume, that just plain isn't good for you (anyone) whether it is the product, or the way its produced.

When you think about it, The EPA is mostly effective. When they have been phasing out 2 stroke engines, they allowed manufacturers to step into progressive compliance. To hear some complain, they're taking food out of their kids mouths, doing it at the spur of the moment whenever the wind blows just right, and tellign you- go F yourself, this is the rule and comply or die.

I'm glad your post was intended to be humorous, I found it funny.

Welp, being the consumer of a fair amount of smoked foods, and a heavy grill user, I actually did a bit of homework on the subject a while back. It is FACT that smoke and char on food IS a carcinogen. But we deal with lots of stuff that is a carcinogen. The REAL question is how much is too much. Ain't no answer to that question that I have found. Every person is different.

These days everything is a carcinogen, everything is bad for you !!!! The contaminated fruits and vegetables, the steriod laden beef pork chicken etc. we purchase at our local markets is killing us faster than our smoked food. My grandfather smoked, drank, sucked leaded gasoline through a garden hose, played with asbestos breathed coal dust every winter and so on, he lived to be 93 years old. What he did do, was raise his own food !! the usda is almost as bad as the epa imho, it's a sad sad worly we are livin in:bang::angry:

My EPA Recipe for Pork Loin

I was just thinking, if the EPA says smoke is so bad for you this poison and that poison terrible to breath smoke. But then they have all kinds of smoked meat fish etc. in every grocery store. So don't breath it but ok go ahead and eat smoked stuff all you want. So eating it is not bad? Thank god the EPA doesn't control what we eat. I'm all for the EPA being dismantled which looks like might happen.
I guy gave me a 9-lb pork loin. I guess I have no choice but to thaw it out, cut it into thin slices, and boil them for an hour or so.

Maybe I could fry them on the stove top using water cooking. The EPA would love me for that. Even the FDA folks would clap their hands. Actually, they both would tell me to eat fish and carrots instead and throw away the pork.

I think this thread is going down a strange path...

The original post was more or less stating EPA should but out of our business. The problem as other posters pointed out is there is a real quantifiable and measurable health issue with wood burning if everyone is allowed to burn as they please. Just pretend EPA doesnt exist anymore. City councils, counties etc... are banning or restricting outdoor open fire pit burning and OWB. Why? Not because of EPA but because it stinks the neighborhood, chokes up the kids and grandma's who have lung problems and devalue my property.

Do I want to live besides an idiot who burns railway ties, tires, garbage and the recently deceased mother in law in his OWB? Absolutely not. Would I welcome some legislation to ensure my neighborhood has clean air? You bet!

As far as food is concerned, just about anything you ingest in too great a quantity will kill you sooner or later. The difference between the two is I have control over what I eat, It's my choice and i'll suffer the consequence. When I comes to clean air, I dont want the next door neighbor, the next county over or the next state to pollute my air. 'nuff said!

What I'm saying is the State, city, or county can regulate wood burning how they see fit. We don't need more federal regulations telling us what to do. I just think it's to much wasted money and bureaucracy. Someone needs to pull in the reins. As is I think the EPA has more power than the CIA.

The flavinominoms in the smoked meat completely encapsulate and negate any inherent badness from the smoke exposure.

What I'm saying is the State, city, or county can regulate wood burning how they see fit. We don't need more federal regulations telling us what to do. I just think it's to much wasted money and bureaucracy. Someone needs to pull in the reins. As is I think the EPA has more power than the CIA.

In most cases it is better to have one rule at the federal level than to allow each state (or municipality) to create their own. Can you imagine being a manufacturer and having 50 different state regulations and hundreds of city and county ordinances to comply with?

For this reason it is the federal government that regulates interstate commerce.

It compliments all of the asbestos and PCB's I've been exposed to thru the years...

Cancer of the digestive tract, stomach cancer, colon cancer, rectal cancer, etc... The bleeding ulcers and or fissures are a clue if you eat a alot of smoked products.

It is not regulated because as of yet your neighbors cannot force you to eat what they eat and nobody sells tobacco smoked ham.

Hmmmmm, tobacco smoked bacon.

The construction of smoke shacks does seem to be regulated on a local level, even temporary ones. Personally I do not have an issue with that, having been around more tha a few they have no business in most town/city neighborhoods. The regulation was not to keep a person from eating the food, mostly sight, smell and fire concerns. The one place consider it to be a vermin issue.

Last edited:
Back