Snag Over My Driveway

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frank Boyer

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Last night a storm blew over a 75' doug fir. It is at a 45 degree angle over my drive way. It is hung up in 3-4 trees. I don't want to get near it with a saw. I think that I'll try and move the root ball with my crawler and get it on the ground before we try to cut it .

Last edited:
Looks like it's pretty well hung up. I like the crawler idea.

In looking at your first pic, it looks as if you might be able to get behind the root ball and push it towards the camera some. Then if that doesn't "shake it loose", you could simply put a chain around the base of the trunk and pull it backwards. That would probably get it to drop.

Looks like a job I have done many times. I wish I were doing it,,,I surely miss the old JD 450B crawler loader!

Bob

The tree is down and out of the way. It has been raining here for a few days. I knew that once I got the tree down the crawler would probably get stuck, which it did. Once the tree was down I cut it at each side of the drive way. Then limbed it. Then cut it about 1/3 of the way through at the middle of the driveway. Then cut through from the bottom and everything was on the ground. Used the Kubota to move the pieces out of the way and will finish on a much nicer spring morning. I hate working in the rain.

I'll get the crawler out after a week or two of dry weather.
Reading posts about how to remove snags helped this get done a lot quicker and safer.
THANKS

Latest posts

Back