Snap or carabiners

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry guys, but what´s the difference between a snap and a biner?
You have to concider that I´m just a Swede. :)
swede.jpg

This is a snap:
images

This is a 'biner:

dep_1217081-Carabiner-and-two-ropes.jpg

Put that aluminum snap on my grillion with a buntline, verdy nice, verdy verdy nice.

Triple locking ISC biner snap. Light-weight, reliable, long-lasting, its use becomes second nature, and it aligns comfortably everytime. I've seen those aluminum snaps break at their connection point (with abuse of course) and technically they are not an ANSI approved device for lifesupport, because it only takes two actions to open them. I've actually seen a guy at a climbing competition who could flip one of those right off of your d-ring by flipping your line around. The ANSI update now requires two attachment points in the tree before operating a saw, and one of those attachment points MUST be a climbing line. So if you are just using your flipline as a work positioning lanyard then its still acceptable (to some people lol)

The new snaps are triple action to open. For example: At Sherrill

Regarding the two tie in points...I don't have my ANSI book here, but are you sure that one of the two tie in points has to be a climbing line? Might be, but I don't think it is...I agree that you need 2 tie ins, but I thought 2 lanyards would be acceptable. I think where the confusion may be is that you can't use a single 2-1 lanyard with both ends connected and call that a second tie in point. But maybe I'm wrong - again, can't look it up right now.

I would imagine the safety rangers would want one tie in to be climb line so in an emergency ya just dump lanyard and then all the way to the ground you go.
Required...?

Definitely one of the attachment point MUST/SHALL be a climb line. Technically, we are also supposed to have installed a second "access" line in every tree that we are working in. The purpose of the second access line is to have available a line (independent of the climber's working line/climbing system) in the event that an aerial rescue needs to be performed; having this line already installed (and on-line tested) can shave critical minutes from the time it takes to perform the rescue by eliminating that set-up time. How many people work in compliance with these measures? eh.....a few other requirements commonly "overlooked" by alot of us: using the push-button detent pin in rope-grabs/flipline adjustors instead of a locking bolt, also we are supposed to climb on 11mm minimum diameter climb line (13mm for line clearance guys) and use a friction cord that is 3mm less than the climb line (the difference in diameters is required because it allows for more reliable function of the hitch) -- hanging on to gear that needs to be retired; unacceptable bend ratios, etc. :)

I like the petzl ball lock krabs for flip line spare grill on lanyard and main rope, they work one handed(if you have slimmer fingers) and they can't come open, I only use screw gate on saw lanyards or occasionally above a pulley but I make sure they're real tight

Sent from my GT-I9210T

I like the petzl ball lock krabs for flip line spare grill on lanyard and main rope, they work one handed(if you have slimmer fingers) and they can't come open, I only use screw gate on saw lanyards or occasionally above a pulley but I make sure they're real tight

Sent from my GT-I9210T
I like the triacts better -- ball-locks dont seem to work as well like in the winter when you are wearing gloves, and we've had the plastic little push button work its way out of the mechanism, not as durable as triacts imo

Definitely one of the attachment point MUST/SHALL be a climb line. Technically, we are also supposed to have installed a second "access" line in every tree that we are working in...
Just pulled out ANSI to double check (since I was the one that brought it up...)
8.1.18: "While working aloft, the climber shall have available a climbing line and at least one other means of being secured on his/her person at all times (example: an arborist climbing line and a work-positioning lanyard). Two means of being secured shall be used when the arborist determines that it is advantageous."

So yes, I stand corrected...one must be a climbing line.

I brought it up because there are a few times on a small climb (15-20' tall tree) where I use 2 separate lanyards (one on the bridge, one on the side Ds). Especially short trees that are wide spreading, so there is nothing even close to a central tie in point. Guess I need to change that. Glad it was re-visited here! Not that I can't do that...just need to "have available a climbing line". Maybe instead of that second lanyard, I can just use the line as if it were a lanyard with a REALLY long tail. I think I would fit the "letter of the law" if I did the 2 lanyards and had the tail of the climbing line hanging off of the back of the harness. It would be available...but it doesn't do a lot of good if I have to bail...but again, I am talking about really short climbs. "Standard" climbs on larger trees are much more by the book!!!

In regards to the second line: I do not disagree that it is a good idea...however I can't find it in ANSI Z133.

I do that 2, if I am in a real small guy, like a big crab, I will use 2 lanyards. I should have a tie in. I have thought about buying a new line and cutting it to make shorter ones for that purpose. The thought of actually doing it tho, cutting a line, cant get past it.

Don't be cutting a line shorter! Check out WesSpur's "clearance rope" category.
You get get a good deal on oddball lengths, but sometimes you have to wait a month or two to find what you want.

Yeah...love the clearance ropes at Wesspur. Only problem is that when I buy $20 worth of rope, I feel obligated to buy enough other stuff to get to $100 for free shipping :)
I'm the same way lol...takes me about 2 seconds to get that $100 spent though. (I'm really good at spending money though, especially on cool stuff)

I'm the same way lol...takes me about 2 seconds to get that $100 spent though. (I'm really good at spending money though, especially on cool stuff)
Its amazing how that works, I don't do much online ordering. Don't trust it. And my distrust was just vindicated. My wife did most Christmas shopping online. Alot at Target...........
Anyhow, when I go to Vermeer, I never walk out with just what I needed. Always leave with stuff I just wanted.

Latest posts

Back