snellerized 372 x torq

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

barney34

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
just a shut out to chip monger to see how that x torq is running now that it should be well broken in ?

Last edited:
Well Guys i wish i could give you a good report, alas i cant...Lets start with the bad and then transition into the good of it all...

To make a long story short (Feel free to dig up the thread if you like) i had Brad port my 372 X-Torq. Well, before the saw left Brad a ring got hooked on a believe the exhaust side of the cylinder. Brad told me about and was more than gracious about things...Cheers to you Brad, you are a pleasure to work with! He found where the ring had snagged and eased the edge to prevent it, made sure the saw ran well and sent it off to me.

I received the saw, and like a kid in a candy store dressed her with a new bar (it was Christmas!) and a new loop of Stihl RSC. I was out on the job at my buddies house dropping, limbing, chipping and bucking i think 20 trees, mostly swamp maple and ash when Brad called to check on the saw and what i thought of it. Once i had about 6-8 tanks through it she started to wake up, torque and speed were all there.

That job was the last big job i had with her...I forget the actual date but sometime over this past winter i pulled my saws out, cleaned em up, filled the bar oil and put in fresh fuel and let them all run for a bit...This is where it gets sad...

My 346xp, 390xp both Snellerized ran like champs, started on the 2nd or 3rd pull....WAAAAAAAAAAAAY better then stock (Obviously:rock:).

The 372-XTorq when i first got it was a hard starter, Brad told me what to adjust and the problem was fixed, so i filled her with fresh fuel and bar oil and started her. It was cold outside but around 72ish in my garage (dont ask lol). I have a rule that i let my saws run for a couple mins at idle to warm them up before i even blip the throttle. I picked up the 372 X-Torq after about 3mins and gave it a quick blip of the throttle. Soon after the saw died and would not re-start. I PM'd Brad and he said something to the effect of "I hate to even ask you to, but pull the muffler and take a look at the piston and rings"...

Yup you guessed it, the ring(s) broke and took part of the piston with it. I told Brad what had happened...I didnt even have to say anything he told me to send the saw back to him ASAP.

Brad tore down the saw...Brad if you still have pics of the carnage feel free to post them if you want. I dont have them anymore. The cylinder was shot, piston, and obviously the rings too. So what do we do now?...This is why i now call the saw "The Mutant" lol...Brad graciously bought the parts to convert it to a 372 XPW I.E. its now wearing a 75cc P&C ported of course. I covered shipping and the little misc stuff to go with it.

So to make a long story even longer, the 372 X-Torq didnt take to well to initial porting, that being said maybe Brad has it all figured out now. I havent asked him though.

I will say this...Brad is great to do business with, and stands by his work 100% i would refer him to anyone who wanted work done to there saw.

Sorry for the bad news about the 372 X-Torq, but i am more than happy with the end result...Thanks Brad, my hat is off to you!:clap::):rock:

Barney34...Where are you in CT?

Last edited:
It takes both parties being cooperative to have a good outcome when things go wrong. Chipmonger was awesome through all of this. Why did the topend go bad? I don't know. Honestly, I'm a little leary of the 372XP XT now. Maybe it was just bad luck, but I didn't port that cylinder any differently than I would any topend, yet it let go twice. I know that's not enough evindence, but still scares me. I prefer the non-strato 372 anyway, so he should have a great running saw for many years to come. Again, thanks for being a trooper to work with. There was never one word of complaint!

Well I hate to hear that. I had thought of getting an x torq here soon and have it warmed up a little before the gtg in june.

It's good to read that y'all were able work things out to your mutual satisfaction :cheers:.

It would be interesting to hear what others builders have experienced with the 372 X-Torq.

Well I hate to hear that. I had thought of getting an x torq here soon and have it warmed up a little before the gtg in june.

Maybe your luck will be better than mine. I would go conservative on exhaust port width, and also make sure both the roof and floor of the exhaust port are concave. The floor is too flat from the factory. Fortunately, there's enough piston skirt to allow you to shape the port properly.

If I have enough play money left after the foredom I'm going to get in the next few weeks I may get one. I know they can be had cheaper than an xpw can be right now.

Sorry for the bad news about the 372 X-Torq, but i am more than happy with the end result...Thanks Brad, my hat is off to you!:clap::):rock:
HEY!! guess what? ITS NOT AN X-TORQ anymore!
Ray Charles and Stevie Wonder could see the devastation in the first set of pics posted by brad,and it was followed up by more poor decisions.

WOW!!!! :dizzy::dizzy: where is the CLOWN icon???

I covered shipping and the little misc stuff to go with it.

So to make a long story even longer, the 372 X-Torq didnt take to well to initial porting, that being said maybe Brad has it all figured out now. I havent asked him though.
you're kidding right?? :msp_w00t:

Mweba from memory ported the X-torq.

Yup, and still ripping away. Friend of mine has it to finish his firewood for the year. He has a 372 (71cc) I built and prefers the x-torq when running the longer bar. The XPOE does hold a grand more in the cut with the shorter guide.

Fantastic saw and i would recommend it to anyone but it will not run with an XPW.

That being said, I have been in the small engine repair business for twelve years now. Even ground up rebuilds to stock specs can go wrong for unknown reasons. It happens and dealt with in a professional manner, all things work out in the end. Glad both parties are happy.

Well Guys i wish i could give you a good report, alas i cant...Lets start with the bad and then transition into the good of it all...

To make a long story short (Feel free to dig up the thread if you like) i had Brad port my 372 X-Torq. Well, before the saw left Brad a ring got hooked on a believe the exhaust side of the cylinder. Brad told me about and was more than gracious about things...Cheers to you Brad, you are a pleasure to work with! He found where the ring had snagged and eased the edge to prevent it, made sure the saw ran well and sent it off to me.

I received the saw, and like a kid in a candy store dressed her with a new bar (it was Christmas!) and a new loop of Stihl RSC. I was out on the job at my buddies house dropping, limbing, chipping and bucking i think 20 trees, mostly swamp maple and ash when Brad called to check on the saw and what i thought of it. Once i had about 6-8 tanks through it she started to wake up, torque and speed were all there.

That job was the last big job i had with her...I forget the actual date but sometime over this past winter i pulled my saws out, cleaned em up, filled the bar oil and put in fresh fuel and let them all run for a bit...This is where it gets sad...

My 346xp, 390xp both Snellerized ran like champs, started on the 2nd or 3rd pull....WAAAAAAAAAAAAY better then stock (Obviously:rock:).

The 372-XTorq when i first got it was a hard starter, Brad told me what to adjust and the problem was fixed, so i filled her with fresh fuel and bar oil and started her. It was cold outside but around 72ish in my garage (dont ask lol). I have a rule that i let my saws run for a couple mins at idle to warm them up before i even blip the throttle. I picked up the 372 X-Torq after about 3mins and gave it a quick blip of the throttle. Soon after the saw died and would not re-start. I PM'd Brad and he said something to the effect of "I hate to even ask you to, but pull the muffler and take a look at the piston and rings"...

Yup you guessed it, the ring(s) broke and took part of the piston with it. I told Brad what had happened...I didnt even have to say anything he told me to send the saw back to him ASAP.

Brad tore down the saw...Brad if you still have pics of the carnage feel free to post them if you want. I dont have them anymore. The cylinder was shot, piston, and obviously the rings too. So what do we do now?...This is why i now call the saw "The Mutant" lol...Brad graciously bought the parts to convert it to a 372 XPW I.E. its now wearing a 75cc P&C ported of course. I covered shipping and the little misc stuff to go with it.

I will say this...Brad is great to do business with, and stands by his work 100% i would refer him to anyone who wanted work done to there saw.

Barney34...Where are you in CT?

sorry to hear about the saw i live up in the northwest corner how about you

Yup, and still ripping away. Friend of mine has it to finish his firewood for the year. He has a 372 (71cc) I built and prefers the x-torq when running the longer bar. The XPOE does hold a grand more in the cut with the shorter guide.

Fantastic saw and i would recommend it to anyone but it will not run with an XPW.

That being said, I have been in the small engine repair business for twelve years now. Even ground up rebuilds to stock specs can go wrong for unknown reasons. It happens and dealt with in a professional manner, all things work out in the end. Glad both parties are happy.

hhhmmmm.
i ran the XT Spike brought to oscar's gtg in PA in the fall.
it was stock. it was also crazy powerful. i watched it run neck and neck with a heavily worked 2171.
the XT was fast enough that i DID NOT want to run my 7900 against it.... so i didn't. ;)

maybe spikes was loosened up and just a bit stronger than average from the factory... like does happen on occasion. :confused:

hhhmmmm.
i ran the XT Spike brought to oscar's gtg in PA in the fall.
it was stock. it was also crazy powerful. i watched it run neck and neck with a heavily worked 2171.
the XT was fast enough that i DID NOT want to run my 7900 against it.... so i didn't. ;)

maybe spikes was loosened up and just a bit stronger than average from the factory... like does happen on occasion. :confused:

Oh they are runners to be sure of that. Just saying running 24" bars for instance, the XPW holds a couple more R's. As with everything, one may have the "stuff" and the next may not.

Pulling a 36, my xpxt with out pull the xpoe hands down.

It takes both parties being cooperative to have a good outcome when things go wrong. Chipmonger was awesome through all of this. Why did the topend go bad? I don't know. Honestly, I'm a little leary of the 372XP XT now. Maybe it was just bad luck, but I didn't port that cylinder any differently than I would any topend, yet it let go twice. I know that's not enough evindence, but still scares me. I prefer the non-strato 372 anyway, so he should have a great running saw for many years to come. Again, thanks for being a trooper to work with. There was never one word of complaint!

How did the carb match up to the xpw topend? In essence how similar is the old 372 to the new xtorq model? Thanks

I think all that's different on the xt to xp is the p/c, carb, intake boot.

WOW!!!! :dizzy::dizzy: where is the CLOWN icon???
Try looking in the mirror, moron.

How did the carb match up to the xpw topend? In essence how similar is the old 372 to the new xtorq model? Thanks
Different carb.

I think all that's different on the xt to xp is the p/c, carb, intake boot.
Carb bolts, carb adjustment screws grommet and engine shroud are different too, but the shroud doesn't have to be replaced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back