Snellerized MS461 on the dyno

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How long does it take you? Are still planning on going full auto on the setup?
First I fill the saw with my fuel. 40-1 92 E free. I fill with bar oil and put a bar and chain on to tune it by ear. Then it takes me 15-20 min to bolt the saw on and set up my equipment. The run saw is running for six or seven minutes on the dyno from warm up till all testing is all done. I adjust the flow control to dial the saw into the desired loaded rpm then I idle it down and reset my scale. It goes much faster if I run in 1000 rpm stages rather than 500. I'm going to say it's 25-30 minutes a saw. Then I review the data from a video camera aimed at my rpm and scale. I take the data from every rpm level and plug it into my spreadsheet. Then I plug the spreadsheet hp #s into a graph maker. That's at least another half hour. So about an hour till it's all said and done. That doesn't include my drive to work and back home again or packing the saw back up and arranging shipping back to its owner.

I'm torn on weather I want to spend $1500 to upgrade it to a fancy data recording system. It would be sweet. I'd just run the saw in a one minute or less sweep and it would put it all onto a graph instantly with weather calculations already done.

I'm getting bombarded with dyno run request's. I cant do it for free. My time is to valuable and time it takes. Whats a fare # to charge?

Personally? I think it's best that you come up with that number?

I know what my time is worth to me...

Take total time, energy, etc and pretend like you were going to do this for 8 hrs. Now? Is that what you would be happy to make in an 8 hr day? Then add more to it ;)

Everyone can account for their time differently. Only you can tell us what "your" time is worth.

I never got that PM out to you last night. Had a lot going on. I am home today as well, so I will reply to any PM pretty promptly. So if you have not received another offer of a ported 460?

I have this one.. :)

20141030_195351.jpg

I'm not responsible for anybody's hot rod saw that blows up on my dyno. If it cant handle the dyno it shouldn't be considered a work saw. I ran somewhere around 5 gals of fuel through my 660 for cylinder tests and the saw shows no sign of wear.
Why would you think a ported work saw, running on proper fuel, would blow up on your machine?

Why would you think a ported work saw, running on proper fuel, would blow up on your machine?
I have no clue what's inside saws that aren't mine. I never had one blow up on the dyno but it could happen just like they can anywhere else. I've done temperature tests and found my 660 maxed out in Temps in one minute loaded on the dyno.

I have no clue what's inside saws that aren't mine. I never had one blow up on the dyno but it could happen just like they can anywhere else. I've done temperature tests and found my 660 maxed out in Temps in one minute loaded on the dyno.
Well something made you feel the need to post that..??
What was it?
hell_boy.png

If you're going to charge for these Dyno test, I would strongly suggest you get a form stating you are not responsible for saws that come apart during testing and get the sender to sign it before the test starts. Might save you a few headaches down the road. Things do happen on dyno testing.

Latest posts

Back