Snow and wood cutting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

c5rulz

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
The cold and snow this Winter has been relentless. Normally we get some snow, but there will periods of melting/thawing where the snow pack goes down substantially. Well not this year. :(
Today I am down to the last of 4 places I have access to. The others are just to steep to navigate with the truck. This log landing is slightly uphill but level and has a lot of culls and cut offs left. I got a load out but man you don't want to hesitate when driving as the snow is a good 10-12" deep.
How is everybody else doing regarding snow and wood cutting?

What is this snow that you speak of ? Ohhhh you mean the nasty white crap that piles up when it's too cold to rain, luckily I don't have to deal with it much. Good luck with it.

If it were up to me I'd move South but it won't fly with the wife.

We got freezing rain a week ago, then 4 inches of snow, then more snow on top of that. Calling for 2-3 inches again tomorrow. Hard to get into anywhere I cut with my truck.

Today I was hauling rounds.

Here is a pic from last year and my 96 Suburban that has been drafted for firewood duty. Normally I use a trailer, but with the snow it just doesn't work.

2dkee60.jpg

All the snow melted here with the 50 degree days we had . It has been down around freezing the past couple days and snowing pretty good right now. Went out yesterday top frozen but with a load it got down in the soft stuff.I'm going to try it in the morning supposed to get down to the 20's tonight. It's mostly flat just a little rough in the beginning getting in. Wish me luck I need some standing dead wood to help me through the winter

We don't have hardly anything down here for snow left. Just a dusting from the crazy weather yesterday (had a blizzard/near whiteout with the sun shining for a bit) as it couldn't decide what it wanted to do. Sounds like they got a lot more weather north and east though. Hope to get into the woods this Sunday.

We have about 16 inches of base on the ground in the woods right now with another 2-4 coming tonite they say. The road getting out to the wood lot is near a mile long, with about a third of it where it drifts up real bad. After all the wind we have had the last couple days it will take me a couple hours on the Cat skidsteer to clear it all out just so I can get back there to cut. And then some more time to clear out in the woods where I am going to be cutting and splitting for the day.

Much easier in the spring and fall, but them jerks I work for, think I should be at work at those times!:eek:

Ted

Just gotta take your time and use caution. Slipping and sliding sux especially with heavy wood in tow. Can't get a plow to the landing?

We have about 16 inches of base on the ground in the woods right now with another 2-4 coming tonite they say. The road getting out to the wood lot is near a mile long, with about a third of it where it drifts up real bad. After all the wind we have had the last couple days it will take me a couple hours on the Cat skidsteer to clear it all out just so I can get back there to cut. And then some more time to clear out in the woods where I am going to be cutting and splitting for the day.

Much easier in the spring and fall, but them jerks I work for, think I should be at work at those times!:eek:

Ted
if we get any more snow than what's predicted its going to be time for the snowmobile and small dray! plowing the landing tomorrow for the 4th time this winter and probably try to clear some of the skid road from the lake ... all my turns/pulls are up hill with a down hill slide ! not liking it but mother nature rules ... the ole tractor might be ok if I can keep the bucket full enough to keep the front end down?? nothing like backing a tractor up the hills backwards pulling from the bucket keeping the logs off the ground!

We had about 14" in the woods as of last weekend, and was ok with the Ford tractor in the woods pulling the M101A1 trailer, got a trailer load of soft maple, ash, and elm, all dead and dry; however, got another 10" on Tuesday; tomorrow I'm gonna run the tractor in the woods to see how it goes, if ok, will go in with the trailer, but I'm thinking this might be the end of it til things dry out in May or June so might end up tying into the piles under cover on the landing, some of which I had started for next year, won't run out, but the pile for next year might take a little hit. December and January (so far) have not been very kind to my supply.

I'm shut down until the snow melts some. Wouldn't mind stomping around to do the cutting but I can't haul it out of the woods decent.

Thinking about getting a load of logs hauled in and dropped at my place to keep me busy.

10-12" ins't a lot of snow, its just a morning commute. Tire chains are your friend. Snow is up past my waist off trail at the moment, and as running low on wood, and cant get the truck to the woodpile, snowmobile and trailer time. Heading out to cut wearing showshoes and towing a sled are common.

Its winter time, embrace it.

It's kind of rare but in the spring after the snow has melted down to 6-8" or so and then it gets cold enough for a few days to freeze it hard as concrete...man o man does that make for a nice day in the woods.

Our ice storm on the 22nd was followed up with 6" of snow a few days later then we got hit again with another 16" and blowing and drifting. Shut me down for three weeks. Then at the end of those three weeks it began to rain. It melted down the snowpack to around 8" and even bare in some spots but then it got cold again and froze it all up. My driveway has about a 2" ice sheet on it. I have to keep dumping my ashes all over it for traction. Tried to get out and cut yesterday but the site was all drifted in. Got stuck in the granulated misery. Forecast looks miserable. Highs around 12. I won't be able to cut until I get my snowmobile repaired and can haul rounds out in my ice fishing sled.
Our "normal" winter is cold then snow then warm and melts then snow and cold then warm and melts etc....I can't remember the last winter we had with a snow pack that lasted this long. I don't mind the cold but I can't stand the deep snow.

I have a tracked atv that looks like a mini tank. When we first got 18" of powder it didn't do so good. Now the snow has firmed up a bit it has no trouble traversing the swamp hauling firewood.

It hauls a quarter of a cord in the summer, but I only haul about 1/6 of a cord of hardwood in the deep snow. I can still haul 1/4 cord of pine or cedar in the winter.

I prefer doing firewood in the winter but we have record snowfall this year which has slowed things down a bit.

Latest posts

Back